Author Topic: In which piece of carcassonne have you spent more money?  (Read 9762 times)

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
In which piece of carcassonne have you spent more money?
« on: April 12, 2019, 08:03:25 AM »
Hello everybody!

I don't know if this topic has been opened in previous posts but I think it could be funny to share our follies that we have come to commit by completing our collection of our loved carcassonne game.
In my case, I got to spend around 100€ for the Müller edition. I know that it may not seem like much, but I've been buying carcassonne expansions and spin offs as they were coming to the market, so spending a lot of money could be said no. Although at the time I didn't get the Müller edition and a few years later I had to pay the consequences. I still have pending the mini expansion promo Darmstadt to get ... but the prices seem abusive ....

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4267.0
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: In which piece of carcassonne have you spent more money?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:10:06 AM »
It is indeed a much debated and always interesting topic to discuss.

I think it is always depending on what you feel appropriate to spend, and prices change a lot over time.
it is difficult for me to say what i spent the most on. I once bought a box full of Carcassonne items, including some rare items (that was why i bought it), such as the CC1, Le Sac, Cathars, and lots more. I spent around €200 on the box, but sold a lot of items on, so made some money back from that. So i can't really say how much i've really spent on those items.

I think the most i've spent would be on the 2nd set of Russian tiles. Funnily enough i found 1 of the tiles separately, and had 3 out of 4 Russian tiles collected.
However, i did want that last tile, and i found a deal for the second set together for about €40 i think. I think that is the most i've spent tle by tile.
Most i've spent on 1 item is the Carcassonne Limited Edition (Rio Grande edition), the golden box.
I've bought that from the US, so spent around €100 with the shipping to the UK.

(and i think for some forum members, the recent Carcassonne Limited Collectors Edition will easily be the most expensive item they've ever bought - €649)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »
It is indeed a much debated and always interesting topic to discuss.

I think it is always depending on what you feel appropriate to spend, and prices change a lot over time.
it is difficult for me to say what i spent the most on. I once bought a box full of Carcassonne items, including some rare items (that was why i bought it), such as the CC1, Le Sac, Cathars, and lots more. I spent around €200 on the box, but sold a lot of items on, so made some money back from that. So i can't really say how much i've really spent on those items.

I think the most i've spent would be on the 2nd set of Russian tiles. Funnily enough i found 1 of the tiles separately, and had 3 out of 4 Russian tiles collected.
However, i did want that last tile, and i found a deal for the second set together for about €40 i think. I think that is the most i've spent tle by tile.
Most i've spent on 1 item is the Carcassonne Limited Edition (Rio Grande edition), the golden box.
I've bought that from the US, so spent around €100 with the shipping to the UK.

(and i think for some forum members, the recent Carcassonne Limited Collectors Edition will easily be the most expensive item they've ever bought - €649)
Yes! The luxury book with a normal carcassonne inside is the most expensive at the date but... Who knows... Maybe someone expense more money for a different collectable pieces of carcassonne. In my opinion special boxes or big boxes are not truly collection thing (for me). Müller is an exception because the besigers inside was the difference. For me, the first edition of carcassonne and expansions are the truly collection. Then accessories or compilations on big boxes or reeditions of the same thing are semi-colletable things.... Well maybe is a silly idea but this is what I think lol

Enviado desde mi XT1700 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »
We all have our own view on what we want to collect, and what we are not interested in, and that's fine!
For a long time I was not interested in the new artwork, but when the big box 6 was announced, I started to be interested, and started to collect the new art as well.
Still the old art will have the most expensive items, as there are more exclusive expansions, which are often hard to find and definitely more expensive. I was lucky by finding the Müller box in Austria on a second hand website. Still in seal! The owner didn't know it was rare, so got it for a good price.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 11:02:51 AM »
We all have our own view on what we want to collect, and what we are not interested in, and that's fine!
For a long time I was not interested in the new artwork, but when the big box 6 was announced, I started to be interested, and started to collect the new art as well.
Still the old art will have the most expensive items, as there are more exclusive expansions, which are often hard to find and definitely more expensive. I was lucky by finding the Müller box in Austria on a second hand website. Still in seal! The owner didn't know it was rare, so got it for a good price.
Thats good to find things with reasonable prices!! I don't like the new art... But somethings like 2 players travel version or maps that are somethings completely different for me it's fine. In a future I hope that art change again in something more Epic. I thought that the new art was more like LOTR art, realistic but epic... But nothing of this happens :(

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:09 PM »
I spent a few hundred pounds buying a collection of just about all the original art from a chap called Ralph and then sold all but one item to other CarcC members. The item that I have kept is the 10th anniversary. Sold on cathars, tunnels, creativity and all the standard expansions and spin offs. A modest profit was made from the endeavour and I hope that a few members have been able to complete their collections.

This was the only time that I held siege and creativity, sold it on without opening it. I don't expect to ever see another.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:05:01 AM »
I spent a few hundred pounds buying a collection of just about all the original art from a chap called Ralph and then sold all but one item to other CarcC members. The item that I have kept is the 10th anniversary. Sold on cathars, tunnels, creativity and all the standard expansions and spin offs. A modest profit was made from the endeavour and I hope that a few members have been able to complete their collections.

This was the only time that I held siege and creativity, sold it on without opening it. I don't expect to ever see another.

Nice! About cult, siege and creativity was de RGG version of the minis of spielbox but not the truly first editions. The design was more poor than the originals. They hasn't the rights of the crumbling walls and the prayer symbol of cathars and change the tiles. The cult was 6 still instead of 5 of the original spielbox. it was an absurd copy unnecessary to take profit.

Offline Push

• Freeman
  • Merit: 9
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »

Müller is an exception because the besigers inside was the difference. 

Hmm. The difference from what the Besiegers from Muller Ed. was? As I remember Besiegers from Muller Ed  = Besiegers issued by HiG later.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »

Nice! About cult, siege and creativity was de RGG version of the minis of spielbox but not the truly first editions. The design was more poor than the originals. They hasn't the rights of the crumbling walls and the prayer symbol of cathars and change the tiles. The cult was 6 still instead of 5 of the original spielbox. it was an absurd copy unnecessary to take profit.
It was a reasonable solution before the concept of the Besiegers materialised. There was a lot of demand for a reprint of Cathars but Spielbox wasn’t willing sobit was the best RGG could do. I appreciated it at the time and liked the extra Cult tile, even if that was less necessary since the expansion was at that time available from Spielbox and had already been announced as a part of Expansion 6. RGG never printed Expansion 6, though, so it was the only way to get that mini expansion in English.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »

Hmm. The difference from what the Besiegers from Muller Ed. was? As I remember Besiegers from Muller Ed  = Besiegers issued by HiG later.
Yes. But the original was in Müller Box. After HiG sold it apart. But anyway it's the same yes but different than siege of RGG

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »

It was a reasonable solution before the concept of the Besiegers materialised. There was a lot of demand for a reprint of Cathars but Spielbox wasn’t willing sobit was the best RGG could do. I appreciated it at the time and liked the extra Cult tile, even if that was less necessary since the expansion was at that time available from Spielbox and had already been announced as a part of Expansion 6. RGG never printed Expansion 6, though, so it was the only way to get that mini expansion in English.
I understand you. I don't know why HiG doesn't reedit the cathars. But besigers was the redemtion in my opinion. RGG was useful in english countries? Maybe... But perhaps because they can't published the 6th expansion and cathars was something in demand. For me the BIG mistake was not include cathars in the 6th expansión....

Offline Push

• Freeman
  • Merit: 9
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 11:28:53 AM »

Yes. But the original was in Müller Box. After HiG sold it apart. But anyway it's the same yes but different than siege of RGG

I'd rather say they are both original - from Muller Box and from HiG. It is one mini expansion - Besiegers.
RGG published another mini expansion - Siege as a part of Cult, Siege and Creativity bundle.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »

I'd rather say they are both original - from Muller Box and from HiG. It is one mini expansion - Besiegers.
RGG published another mini expansion - Siege as a part of Cult, Siege and Creativity bundle.

Of course :)

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:24 AM »
I think mine were the New Russians. The seller was looking for a copy of the Besiegers (unpunched) so I bought that via Ebay (for around 65 euro), opened it to check it and then reshipped it to the seller of the two Russians + another 40 euro to complete the deal.

Come to think of it, ridiculous amount of money but wanted the Russians at all cost.

The edition with the 70p scoreboard is a close second.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 02:46:23 AM »
I think mine were the New Russians. The seller was looking for a copy of the Besiegers (unpunched) so I bought that via Ebay (for around 65 euro), opened it to check it and then reshipped it to the seller of the two Russians + another 40 euro to complete the deal.

Come to think of it, ridiculous amount of money but wanted the Russians at all cost.

The edition with the 70p scoreboard is a close second.

WoW! Nice!! Often happens. Sometimes astronomical amounts are paid for something that is not worth it because as you say you want to have it at all costs. I understand you.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:11:55 AM by DrMeeple »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Opps just spent money on carcassonne

Started by Rosco

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 03:52:49 PM
by Rosco
xx
What if a player draws a tower tile but they don't have any more tower floors?

Started by carca82

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2022, 01:12:49 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
what expansions are worth to have more then 1 off ?

Started by avantar

9 Replies
Last post August 11, 2016, 10:10:55 PM
by Paul
xx
I have waited too long for more abbot's

Started by Halfling

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2018, 08:54:10 AM
by Halfling
xx
Which fan expansions do you regularly play?

Started by Rosco

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 07:35:55 AM
by ARabidMeerkat