Author Topic: Alternative Start Tiles and Rules  (Read 2134 times)

t2k

Alternative Start Tiles and Rules
« on: January 02, 2020, 02:31:55 PM »
This reminds me of a thread I started a while ago: Carcassonne is missing a tile?

Perhaps it's better just to keep the 72 tiles that already exist as part of the basic game but abolish the idea of a starting tile. The starting player draws the first tile out of the bag or whatever tile dispensing mechanism you're using, places it as a normal tile and may claim something on it as they wish. Then play continues in the normal way and all 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 players get to place the same number of tiles.

If another tile had to be included I'd suggest a 3 or 4-way city splitter such as the ones included in I & C, or perhaps an rrrf (or rrrr) where at least 2 of the 3 (or 4) road endings are connected would be most interesting.

Why not try a combination that makes sense as a starting tile or tiles.  I took the river with the new edition and only used the Spring and Lake.  you end up with six fields or ffffff to play around.  No City Walls or Roads and no real boundaries exist.  There are no easy scoring areas like roads or a half city, but leaves you with a possible farmer that may never see a good field to score.  This may be a house rule, but bending rules a bit leads to creative play.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4447.0
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:09:24 PM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Start Tiles and Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »
In this FFFFFF start scenario, what do you think about the great advantage given to the first player claiming the initial field?

This start-tile choice may lead to discarding some tiles right at the start of the game. Too early to bother but it may provoke a little frustration to some players as they may need to draw a tile several times to get valid tile to place. What do you think?

BTW, I can split this topic and create a new topic to discuss alternative start tile(s) for a game... Is it okay for you?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:35:24 PM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

t2k

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 03:56:03 PM »
Sure, split the thread, see what others come up with on the subject of alternate starting tiles/house rules.  It might be interesting to get a screen shot of what happens with different scenarios, and how many and which tiles get discarded right away.  It's all conjecture, but fun.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 04:13:22 PM »
Sure, split the thread, see what others come up with on the subject of alternate starting tiles/house rules.  It might be interesting to get a screen shot of what happens with different scenarios, and how many and which tiles get discarded right away.  It's all conjecture, but fun.

Done!

I quoted Daninsthirty's message in your first post too in order to provide some context about the origin of the discussion.

If you have any comments or requests, please let me know.

t2k

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »
Meepledrone, are we using this thread here or have you created another? If so, post the link here, and if not, we continue posting from here.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 12:08:38 AM »
This is the split thread... We can continue the discussion here.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Alternative Rules for The Robbers

Started by dunsany

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2022, 10:18:56 AM
by kothmann
clip
Alternative rules for the black death expansion

Started by dunsany

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2023, 10:01:31 AM
by dunsany
xx
Carcassonne Maps: which are the best ones to start with?

Started by biowanderer

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2023, 11:43:53 PM
by totor66
xx
Carc Tactics - Farms - When do you start your first one?

Started by SRBO

36 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 08:04:30 AM
by CKorfmann
clip
Do you recognise this start tile?

Started by Challa007

10 Replies
Last post March 30, 2023, 04:00:26 AM
by wolnic