Author Topic: Other Hobbies than board games  (Read 39211 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Other Hobbies than board games
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 05:58:29 AM »
Great job JT

I am up to 128.  A dragonite spawned nearby last night and neither my wife nor I caught him after 30 yellow balls.  Very frustrating.

Anyway,  how did you play in other regions?  I thought if I went to Europe I would have to luck out and find a Mr. Mime that just happened to spawn somewhere with free wifi.  I thought data roaming cost a fortune.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »
Gotta catch 'em all!

What do you do with them once you've caught them though? You just keep them in those balls until they die? It seems pretty cruel to treat a living creature that way, even if it's only a pretend augmented reality living creature. :'(

You should be ashamed of yourselves! C:-)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »
Dan,

The pokemon that you catch, but don't want to keep go to the nefarious Professor Willow who uses them for "research".  The ones you do keep can be used to fight other pokemon.  So the game is digital dog fighting with a horrific animal testing while at the same time  hunting various species into extinction.   What are we teaching our kids?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 06:24:20 AM »
"Hi! :(y) Sorry about capturing you in this tiny capsule thing and taking away your freedom etc... ::) However, I'm a reasonable guy so I wanted to give you the choice to decide what happens to you next. O:-) So, firstly I can let you go. Not back to the freedom that I took you out of, :)) but to go to an evil professor who sounds like he'll probably torture you in extreme ways before eventually killing you. >:D If you don't like the sound of this, you can stay with me but may be asked to participate in occasional fights to the death at my will. :'( So it's up to you really. What do you fancy? ;)"

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Merit: 18
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 07:08:48 AM »
I may not be on the site much these days, but I sure enjoying reading this thread.

Very festive indeed kettlefish, looks like you are in full swing for the season. I wish I had artistic talents. I have to be satisfied admiring what other people create. :)

stalcupojoy that is amazing. Music is such a large part of my life; alas I gave up trying to make music, but I sure enjoy listening to it. You must find that to be a very rewarding pursuit. Music can sooth the soul.

You all have inspired me to post about my hobby pursuits, so here is a rambling list...

(1) I love Premium Craft Beer. I have tried many styles and types of beer. I log all of my beer exploits using the UNTAPPD app:
https://untappd.com/user/Bixby

(2) Boardgames are still the #1 hobby of course. I assist SaskGames.com with social media and hobby outreach by posting pictures on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/bixbycanada/

(3) I have been running a Texas Hold'em Poker League for about 12 years. I won the league in 2014 and again this year so that helps to keep me motivated. :)

(4) We go on an annual canoe trip to Northern Saskatchewan. It is a soul charging adventure and a wonderful trip with friends:

(5) I like to build Inuksuks on my travels. Something very zen like when you are stacking rocks on the shore:

(6) Fundraising to help the Homeless.
My wife and I host a lot of gatherings at our house. Many of them our boardgame functions, some are focused on other things. We try to have a lot of fun and use these as opportunities to raise money for the homeless. This is done with under our Play with Your Food team - "Game for a Change". Here is some information about that pursuit here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1655280/local-boardgame-charity-event-raises-over-42000

Here are some pictures of the functions we have held:

BixCON Summer Sizzle Lobster Boil:

Scotchy Scotch Scotch - Scotch Tasting:

Annual Darts Tournament:

(7) We occasionally go on a backpacking trip. Great to get away from it all:

( 8 ) I used to do some trail riding on my Mountain Bike. Need to do more of this:

(9) We try to get out snowshoeing a few times each winter when there is enough snow:

(10) And finally, I am trying to plan my first large event next year. I love planning events so it only makes sense that I try my hands at something bigger than gatherings at our house.

Okay, that list turned out longer than I thought it would. That is what happens when I ramble.

I hope everyone is fine and is prepared for a peaceful Christmas season of games with family and friends.
Cheers,
Matt
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 09:46:43 AM »
Bixby,

I added you in Untapped.  You definitely have me beat in beers.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
A merit to Bixby for sharing his many passions with us. It looks like you've had some very fun times. I'm learning to play darts at the moment...I'm not very good and it takes me a good 5-10 minutes to warm up.  Good luck with your convention next year. Please share some photos with us :)

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Merit: 18
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »
Bixby,

I added you in Untapped.  You definitely have me beat in beers.

Added you too. Cheers. :)

A merit to Bixby for sharing his many passions with us. It looks like you've had some very fun times. I'm learning to play darts at the moment...I'm not very good and it takes me a good 5-10 minutes to warm up.  Good luck with your convention next year. Please share some photos with us :)

Thanks Decar. I certainly will share some photos.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:14:13 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2016, 03:40:52 PM »
Anyway,  how did you play in other regions?  I thought if I went to Europe I would have to luck out and find a Mr. Mime that just happened to spawn somewhere with free wifi.  I thought data roaming cost a fortune.

I caught Farfetch'd in Hong Kong, Tauros in New York and Kangaskhan in Melbourne. I just bought a data package in the other regions, it wasn't too expensive on my contract.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2016, 01:17:06 AM »
Bixby,
your creativ stone stacking is great, it remembers me for meeple stacking:

:blue-meeple:
       :yellow-meeple: :yellow-meeple:
    :green-meeple: :green-meeple: :green-meeple:
 :red-meeple: :red-meeple: :red-meeple: :red-meeple:

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2017, 07:27:19 PM »
Here is one more of my works for crochet.

I've bought some mini christmas balls. I've done the chochet with a silver sewing thread. That you can see how small the work is - I've put a pencil and the crochet hook and some figures like a meeple, wagon, builder and pig together with the christmas balls.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2017, 02:33:41 AM »
Those are incredibly intricate crochet patterns kettlefish - wonderful to see - thanks for sharing!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
Thanks Decar,
I need a magnifying glass for this crochet work.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
Those ornaments are beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.
Flee the fleas.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
Here is my CatTower.
I am buiding this tower since years - I've started with it around 4 years ago. And now it is almost finished - the wall is almost full - the cats don't sleep there today evening.
They have found some other nice places to sleep.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Archived Other Games Board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 11:54:54 AM
by gantry
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
clip
Topics: old board to new board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 07:12:03 PM
by gantry
xx
Pig's bonus point on "famine" of wheel of fortune (whit more than one farmer)

Started by claudio_ferra

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 09:25:35 PM
by Whaleyland