Author Topic: Mage and witch placement  (Read 5639 times)

Offline claudio_ferra

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
Mage and witch placement
« on: June 12, 2016, 02:57:39 AM »
Hi, i'm not founding Italian rules for Mage and Witch expansion so i have some doubt: can i place the Mage or Witch on the tile that i'm placing at the beginning of my turn? If not, can i place that figures on the other tile of the same feature of my turn tile or i have to choose another feature? Thank you so much

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2779.0
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:34:07 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Typos fixed »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Mage and witch palcement
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 03:11:27 AM »
Here's an excerpt from the CAR rules document that can be downloaded from this forum, that contains all the official rules for every base game variant and expansion of Carcassonne:

When a player draws a tile with the mage symbol, he or she plays it according to the normal rules. Before placing a follower, the player must place or move the Mage or the Witch character. The player places one of the two characters on any segment of an unfinished city or on any section of an unfinished road (which does not have to be on the tile that was just placed). The Mage and the Witch may not be placed on the same road or the same city. If the Mage or Witch figure to be played is already on a land tile, the player must move it. After that, the active player can
place a follower as normal.

Link to the Complete Annotated Rules (CAR) can be found here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=292

Hope this helps!
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:23:41 AM »
So, to sum it up to answer your question: yes, you can place the mage (or witch, if you regard this makes sense, which it does not) in the same feature like your new placed meeple, and even on the same tile. You have to place your meeple on the same tile, you placed (like normal), the mage or witch you can place on any tile. The only restriction for them is, that the feature has to be a road or city, and it must still be unfinished. You are even not allowed to place the mage or witch in a feature, you finished with this tile. So e.g. finishing a 4 point city and scoring with a drop in/ drop out meeple is still possible, but you can not extend the scoring by additionally moving the mage to it.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 01:50:57 PM »
Ciao Claudio, grazie a aenima, abbiamo qui il Regolamento Completo Aggiornato in italiano per qualsiasi dubbio.

Offline claudio_ferra

• Labourer
    • View Profile
Re: Mage and witch placement
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:51:21 AM »
Hi, tank you so much for the document in italian and for the answers. Paul and Hounk answered very different to my question: if i read the italian rules seems taht Hounk version is right, if i read the CAR rules in english seems that Paul version is right. So, i'm still a little confused regarding my questions...

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:14:41 AM »
Maybe this sequence can help (playing only with the base game and Mage expansion):

1. Mage & Witch expansion tile is drawn
2. Tile is placed following the normal rule
3. Choose which to move, the mage or the witch. Does not matter if it's in play or still on the side of the "board", you can choose freely which one to move
4. Move the chosen piece from 3 above to any tile in play, the tile you just placed or any other tile with or without expansion symbol following these rules:
  4.1 The mage or witch must be placed on an unfinished city or road (so it cannot be placed on a city or road that was completed this turn before you place your own follower on it)
  4.2 The mage may not be placed on the same segment that connects to the witch and vice versa
5. Place your follower on any legal segment as the standard rules allows on the mage and witch tile that you just placed.

On page 158 of English CAR rules there's even more rules to aid you with rare circumstances and other expansions.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I do not know Italian so I don't know how the rules may differ from one another, these CARs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:19:16 AM by Paul »

Offline claudio_ferra

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »
Thank you so much, now is all clear for me :-)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Mage and Witch

Started by PapaGeek

4 Replies
Last post November 16, 2021, 08:36:54 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Mage and Witch rule clarification

Started by TimBoPavey

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2015, 07:07:43 AM
by TimBoPavey
xx
Mage and Witch - another question

Started by rfielder

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 10:00:34 AM
by obervet
xx
WTS: Mini No5 - Mage and Witch (or other minis)

Started by jungleboy

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2016, 01:15:38 AM
by What If?
xx
Mage & Witch, and Phantom questions

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2013, 09:20:50 AM
by danisthirty