Poll

Which versions of the Crop Circles do you own or want to own?

I own Crop Circles I and II.
31 (39.7%)
I only own Crop Circles II but I also want Crop Circles I. (How much are you willing to pay for it? Answer below.)
27 (34.6%)
I only own Crop Circles II, and that's enough for my collection.
15 (19.2%)
I only own Crop Circles I. (Really? How strange! Explain yourself below!)
0 (0%)
I don't own either of them but I want both.
3 (3.8%)
I don't own either of them and I think one is enough.
1 (1.3%)
I don't own either of them and I'm not interested in this expansion.
1 (1.3%)
Other (please explain below).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #2: Crop Circles  (Read 25189 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Completionism Poll #2: Crop Circles
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
Some great points Hounk!

5) I consider the tile with 3 roads, looking like a branching road without roundabout, "broken" in design. Glad, they replaced it in CCII.

I'm not crazy about crop circle artwork in general, but CCII has one of my 5 favourite tiles in the whole Carcassonne series:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Completionism Poll #2: Crop Circles
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »
5) I consider the tile with 3 roads, looking like a branching road without roundabout, "broken" in design. Glad, they replaced it in CCII.

Much easier to consider it as "broken" in the rules and to simply replace the rule with a house-rule that makes sense (i.e. that there is no road ending at this junction)!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
Which one are referring to? Is it the FRRR in CC1 that is all one road, or the FRRR in CC2 that is two roads? Why do you think it's a broken design?

BTW, the compleitionist side of me is on edge every time we include one of the rarities in a game. I feel like I want to sleeve them all. :)

:(y)

Good to know, just in case I want to bring some chocolate mousse next time we play with CC1 at your place :)

Ha - I knew it would be you! haha  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:59:14 PM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
I have them both. Crop Circles I was the last expansion that I found when I was first amassing my collection, though there have been lots of new ones released since then!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »
I picked up Die Kornkreise sometime between November 2010 and November 2011, according to my email history. Not sure where I got it but I feel it was via BGG Market or CarcCentral. I consider the two "paired expansions" much like The River I and II or Halflings I and II. They are designed to be entirely separate expansions with separate tile arrangements, but they use the same rules. Because of that, I consider both absolutely necessary for a complete set. They are different tiles, so they are different expansions, so they are both required. I was lucky to get my copy when I did, and I really hope such a situation arises for the Winter Edition Corn Circles since I wasn't able to nab that when I planned to and now it's possibly too late. It remains the only expansion for any English- or German-language Carcassonne game that I do not (yet) have.

Regarding a few other points people have made: I always will consider that three-prong road a continuous Road. No feature separates it, so therefore it is continuous. No amount of official clarification from Hans im Glück will change my mind on that.

Framed versions of Corn Circles II appeared in Big Box 4 (as well as framed versions of all six minis). That is probably where people picked up those tiles in frames. All editions of Corn Circles I were in frames.

I quite like Tunnels. It adds very little to the game but I think they look cool and I also think they add a much-needed ability to Roads by making them enter and exit in vastly different places. I never play with the rule that tunnels from Princess & Dragon or other expansions count as "Tunnels". I feel that's just silly—they don't look the same and it's quite clear where those tunnels enter and exit.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »
I quite like Tunnels. It adds very little to the game but I think they look cool and I also think they add a much-needed ability to Roads by making them enter and exit in vastly different places. I never play with the rule that tunnels from Princess & Dragon or other expansions count as "Tunnels". I feel that's just silly—they don't look the same and it's quite clear where those tunnels enter and exit.

I enjoy Tunnels a great deal, but play the same way as quoted in that roads from other expansions that happen to go underground do not count. It looks odd if you tunnel token one of those and it makes no sense.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »
I don't have CC1 and I consider it the only essential expansion that I don't have.  However, that said, I won't pay an arm and a leg for it.  Not more than a few dollars.
Flee the fleas.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »
Regarding a few other points people have made:

Thanks as always for your great insights.

They are designed to be entirely separate expansions with separate tile arrangements, but they use the same rules. Because of that, I consider both absolutely necessary for a complete set. They are different tiles, so they are different expansions, so they are both required.

I don't see it that way myself, but of course that's the point of this series. The way I see it, if I want to play a game with Crop Circles, I can (because I have CCII). So that's enough for me. I guess what it comes down to for me as we've seen with Cathars etc and will see with Windroses and Shrines, is that if I feel the expansion is extraordinary, I'll get all sets. If I don't, I'll be happy with just one.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 12:01:07 AM »
I consider it in a similar way to German monasteries and Dutch monasteries. Same rules , different tiles
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 01:40:32 AM »

I consider it in a similar way to German monasteries and Dutch monasteries. Same rules , different tiles

Funny. I consider that to be completely different because of the unique nature of the national monastery/castles/cathedral tiles. In other words, I consider Dutch monasteries to be essential but CCI not to be.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 01:44:09 AM »
But whether you play with Dutch or German monasteries makes absolutely no difference to game play.  A game play completionist would only get one of them.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 01:50:05 AM »

But whether you play with Dutch or German monasteries makes absolutely no difference to game play.  A game play completionist would only get one of them.

Right. But in this case I'm in it for unique art of the monasteries and the 'travel' aspect, whereas CC just has regular features plus crop circles.

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 03:54:21 AM »
I own both.

CC-I came with my copy of base Carc. And CC-II came with the minis, so yeah. Actually prefer playing with both copies at the same time. Makes it feel more like an expansion and not some random interruptions.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:17 AM »
Actually prefer playing with both copies at the same time. Makes it feel more like an expansion and not some random interruptions.

That's an interesting point. It lets the expansion shine, so to speak. It's true that the club circles that are tied to roads don't usually have much of an impact unless you're playing with inns, so it's just the farm and city circles that are important. And if they're drawn early on, they lose much of their value. So yeah, I can see how using 12 tiles instead of 6 has its benefits here.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 05:46:19 AM »
...I always will consider that three-prong road a continuous Road. No feature separates it, so therefore it is continuous. No amount of official clarification from Hans im Glück will change my mind on that.

I may have missed something...was there a clarification that stated this was three roads and not one?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
WTB — Winter Snow/Crop Circles

Started by Ailurus

9 Replies
Last post March 15, 2016, 04:00:40 AM
by supertopix
xx
wtt: HAVE 70 track, CSC, GQ11, Labyrinth, River WANT Crop Circles,Tunnel,Russian

Started by Just a Bill

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2017, 05:14:32 AM
by Just a Bill
question
Cathedrals & Crop Circles: Element Match-Ups #6

Started by Whaleyland

0 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 02:14:31 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
WTT: need Cathars/Tunnels/Crop Circles 1