Author Topic: Photos from a game of (almost) Mega-Carcassonne  (Read 5710 times)

Offline meepleater

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 35
    • View Profile
Photos from a game of (almost) Mega-Carcassonne
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:17:48 PM »
Its not often that I get to play large games of Carcassonne anymore, but recently I had some and managed to play this game with a friend, in which we used all of the expansions I had (which is not quite all) and I thought some of the photos might be worth sharing  :green-meeple:

We used:
Base game
The River 1 and 2
Inns and Cathedrals
Traders and Builders
Princess and Dragon
The Tower
Abbey and Mayor
Count, King and Cult
The Catapult
Bridges, Castles and Bazaars
The Wheel of Fortune
Sheep and Hills
GQ11
The Festival
La Porxada
The School
The Plague
Tunnels
The Wind Roses
Cathars/Siege/Besiegers
Minis 1-7
Both Monasteries (for the first time- really liked these)
The Phantom
German Castles

Overall the Game took about 4 hours to play, and we were both pretty tired by the end of it!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2583.0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:02:23 PM by meepleater »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Photos from a game of (almost) Mega-Carcassonne
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:40:03 PM »
Hi meepleater,
it is great that you played with so many expansions. Did you use all the rules from the expansions? And was there conflicts of rules with the combination of all these expansions?

Offline meepleater

• Authors
  • Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Did you use all the rules from the expansions?

Yes, we did, although in some cases (For example the cult places and the count) we didn't make much use of them.

And was there conflicts of rules with the combination of all these expansions?

There were some, but we managed to resolve most of them. There was one major problem which wasn't really a conflict, but did manage to break the game somewhat- was the barn from abbey and mayor. Since the the majority of the landscape ended up being one field, placing a farmer and pig on a small field and connecting to the barn field scored a ridiculous number of points for that player, and the latter half of the game basically became a contest as to who could do that the most, and every other game element became pretty insignificant.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 11:27:42 PM »
There were some, but we managed to resolve most of them. There was one major problem which wasn't really a conflict, but did manage to break the game somewhat- was the barn from abbey and mayor. Since the the majority of the landscape ended up being one field, placing a farmer and pig on a small field and connecting to the barn field scored a ridiculous number of points for that player, and the latter half of the game basically became a contest as to who could do that the most, and every other game element became pretty insignificant.

I had considered a strategy like that before, but I don't think quite to that extent.  I can see how that would be broken. 

Thanks for sharing the photos!  :blue-meeple:
Flee the fleas.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 12:23:45 AM »
I must admit, the spreaded world your game ended up as looks really nice and trumps most of the "squared" games we usually get when playing. thumbs up
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 02:37:37 AM »
Can't believe that you used the Plague in a mega game.  I like that expansion, but as the final infestation is always active the continual flea movement is an extra thing to remember each turn.

I can see that it helps return trapped meeples but I'd leave out of a mega game.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 02:52:05 AM »
Can't believe that you used the Plague in a mega game.  I like that expansion, but as the final infestation is always active the continual flea movement is an extra thing to remember each turn.

I can see that it helps return trapped meeples but I'd leave out of a mega game.

We stop the Final infestation once all the flea's are in the active area and active. The Plague is simply stopped by then.

We have also a house rule that the dragon eats the fleas (but dies if he eats 6 fleas during 1 movement phase

Offline meepleater

• Authors
  • Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »

The Plague is one of my favourite mini-expansions and one I like to use a lot. You're right though that it is probably better in smaller games- I think there were turns (especially towards the end of the game) that we forgot to put new flea tokens out. We also ignored the rule about followers escaping for simplicity.

We have also a house rule that the dragon eats the fleas (but dies if he eats 6 fleas during 1 movement phase

That's an interesting idea- is the dragon removed from the game permanently or does he appear again if a new volcano is drawn?

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 07:46:32 AM »

The Plague is one of my favourite mini-expansions and one I like to use a lot. You're right though that it is probably better in smaller games- I think there were turns (especially towards the end of the game) that we forgot to put new flea tokens out. We also ignored the rule about followers escaping for simplicity.

That's an interesting idea- is the dragon removed from the game permanently or does he appear again if a new volcano is drawn?

A new volcano spawns a new dragon :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
In-Game Photos

Started by jungleboy

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 12:30:35 PM
by Decar
xx
Vikings - Board game (with photos)

Started by franks

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 04:29:46 PM