Poll

How do you primarily use The Festival?

To abandon a feature entirely.
7 (43.8%)
To remove excessive Followers from a feature.
5 (31.3%)
I generally treat the tiles as normal tiles.
2 (12.5%)
I use it in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
0 (0%)
I don't ever play with or don't own The Festival.
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 20, 2015, 02:36:03 PM

Author Topic: The Festival – Element of the Week #27  (Read 12369 times)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: The Festival – Element of the Week #27
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
I, too, have the BB4, so the shades of green would not be my problem with "The Festival".

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »
well.. I have this expansion since I bouth my first Carcassonne in the 10° anniversary edition...the colours of the tiles is the same, I don't know if something change when you buy this on cundco
The problem with the 10th anniversary edition, though, is that the tiles are noticeably thinner when mixed with other, standard tiles.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »
So that's why they made the BB4 the way, they did it. To make it best compatible with any type of "Festival" tiles.  ;D

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 06:27:52 AM »
well.. I have this expansion since I bouth my first Carcassonne in the 10° anniversary edition...the colours of the tiles is the same, I don't know if something change when you buy this on cundco
The problem with the 10th anniversary edition, though, is that the tiles are noticeably thinner when mixed with other, standard tiles.

That is the main reason I bought the CundCo version. The tiles are thicker and it solves that problem. :)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »
I guess it's a matter of picking the lesser of two evils - thinner tiles or darker fields! I have the CundCo version (darker fields) but I only bought it recently and I haven't played with it yet - I really only bought it for completionism purposes.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 02:42:28 AM »
This was an interesting expansion. I like the mechanic, the unique follower removal is nice, and whilst it is difficult to anticipate the arrival of the tile, it's a lovely surprise when it comes. If a clever, unscrupulous player has ruthlessly trapped one of your followers and you're fortunate enough to pull one of these out of the bag, back he comes! Rejoice! Or, claim back a follower previously surrendered to the capping of tower. Save that farmer you deployed early only to find that it didn't grow into the enormous farm you thought it would be. Remove the wagon from the dead end it's ended up on in favour of a better placement elsewhere. Use your barn to force other farmers from the huge farm, remove it, deploy your own farmer and score again! The possibilities are endless.

Unfortunately, the tiles are a bit rubbish. They completely break up the landscape with a feature that cannot be explained. I put off buying this expansion for a long time because of this. At least Darmstadt was a building, if an anachronistic one, whereas this is a big, firework number. I understand that it was for the the anniversary, but surely that means they could have invested some thought into how it was implemented? Surely it deserved better than this? Perhaps the people of Carcassonne could have erected monuments in the land around their cities to celebrate their 10th year? Monuments with ten spires, or bells, and candles, or anything. Anyone arty fancy having a go?

Anyway, I like the mechanic and occasional play with this, but only if I'm feeling whimsical.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 05:20:33 AM »
I didn't think you could use it to yank a barn or shepherd  because they aren't followers.  I checked the rules and you can.  Cool!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
question
The Big Follower & The Festival: Element Match-Ups #9

Started by Whaleyland

2 Replies
Last post November 15, 2015, 10:52:01 AM
by Halfling
xx
The Halflings – Element of the Week #29