Author Topic: 2 Questions about Expansion Interactions  (Read 2469 times)

Offline thegreatone3182

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
2 Questions about Expansion Interactions
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
Hey everyone! My wife and I just finished a game and we had two questions come up that I wanted to clarify:

1. When playing with the Wheel of Fortune and the Tower, when the pink pig moves to the Plague section of the wheel, can you remove one of your followers if he's on a tower piece? We played that you could not, because the CAR says "Every player must return 1 follower from a land tile" and the follower on a tower isn't technically on the land tile. Was this correct or incorrect?

2. When playing with the Tunnels and the Count of Carcassonne, at the end of the game, could you redeploy a follower from the City of Carcassonne to a road with a tunnel AND add a tunnel token at the same time? We played that you could not because it technically wasn't a normal "turn". Was this correct or incorrect?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1365.0

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Questions about Expansion Interactions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
I'm far from having the CAR memorized.  I'm sure there are some that are better equipped to answer your questions than I am.  However, having spent a significant amount of time studying the 'how' and 'why' of this game, I believe that:

1. A follower on top of a tower is a candidate for removal by the plague.  Being on top of a tower does not remove it's follower status and the tower is on a landscape tile (aren't they all landscape tiles?) so I don't see any reason to exclude it. 

2. I would agree that deploying a follower from the City of Carcassonne to a feature on the board (in this case, specifically a road) would not grant the option of placing a tunnel token.  It is not a "normal" turn so it also doesn't grant a "normal" placement. 

I spend a decent amount of time reading about Pathfinder on the Paizo forums as well and when you've got a game whose instructions come quite literally in volumes, there is a lot of discussion about RAW (Rules as Written) vs. RAI (Rules as Intended).  There are those who refuse to spend any effort or make any attempt to interpret rules beyond what they see in ink when sometimes it's obvious what the writer's intention is.  I suppose my statement demonstrates that I am more likely to follow the latter.  I think this (question #1 especially) is one of those scenarios. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:00:03 PM by CKorfmann »
Flee the fleas.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Questions about Expansion Interactions
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:48:24 PM »
I would agree. See footnote 205 on page 71 of the CAR.

"Removal of the follower on the tower by other mechanics, such as the use of a Festival tile, is
also possible. (12/2014)" (My emphasis)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Barn on A Hill? - Expansions Interactions

Started by ny1050220

6 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 08:52:28 PM
by ny1050220
xx
The Peasant Revolts interactions with other expansions

Started by Meepledrone

53 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 09:22:33 AM