Poll

What would be the best expanion(s) for the next Expansion League?

Count, King, and Robber
8 (42.1%)
Carcassonne Minis
7 (36.8%)
Go back through all major expansions starting with Inns & Cathedrals
4 (21.1%)
Something else (please post below)
0 (0%)
Single expansion from Carcassonne Minis
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Poll: Next Expansion League  (Read 17021 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Poll: Next Expansion League
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:32:10 PM »
Bridges, Castles and Bazaars League is over, and the question is very simple: what's next? :)
Our online competitions are the big part of Carcassonne Central and I can't imagine it without them anymore :D So we have to move on and play more C:-) Now about options.

Option 1: Count, King, and Robber
Under this option I mean a compilation of expansions, which where published as the big 6th expansion. This compilation includes 4 expansions: King and Robber Baron, The Count of Carcassonne, The River II and Heretics & Shrines. All of them exists in JCloisterZone, with one detail: The Count of Carcassonne is implemented only with tiles, not the actual rules. But this is what we have. This compilation gives us 23 additional tiles (including River II tiles) plus The City of Carcassonne (12 tiles), but minus starting tile from the Base game.

Option 2: Carcassonne Minis
Here I mean a compilation of expansions, known as "Carcassonne Minis". In ideal situation it would be good to play with all 7, but in JCZ we have only 4: The Flier (Mini 1), The Goldmines (Mini 4), Mage and Witch (Mini 5) and Crop Circles II (Mini 7). It makes it 30 additional tiles, which is exactly the same as Princess & Dragon expansion has.

Option 3: Go back through all major expansions starting with Inns & Cathedrals
Pretty obvious option, my least favorite. I love Carcassonne for it's wide variety of expansions, and there are many un-played expansions left (in terms of the leagues).

Option 4: Something else (please post below)
Maybe you have some different combination of expansions in mind? Or completely other idea? Please, share!

ADDED:
Option 5: Single expansion from Carcassonne Minis

Also added this option, as some people would vote for it.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3284.0
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:23:25 PM by MrNumbers, Reason: Added Option 5 »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Next Expansion League
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »
I vote to keep following the "official" order of expansion release.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »
I would favour an "Expansion 6 sans Count" League (imho we could skip the tiles, with the rules not implemented) or a single-mini League. Imho not all minis are working particular well together, and The Crop Circles are implemented right now in a way, which is not really perfect for a League. Additionally I think, it could be potentially interesting to discover the minis one by one on their own with the base game.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Count, King & Robber but it seems like the next logical step if we are to follow all of the large expansions. And probably the last one too, so it would be a shame to miss it.

I'm sure there will be another vote for the next one after this, but I think rather than combining all of the minis at once it might be better to include one + something else per league. So there would be a bit of mixing, but at least we could choose which minis to add for each league rather than putting the 4 that are currently implemented in JCZ together for the sake of it.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
I have added Option 5, as some of you could potentially vote for it. For example, I reread previous such poll's posts, and Jéré had this option in favor.

BTW, another interesting fact. Here is what Danisthirty wrote about BC&B League possibility:
In my opinion, B, C & B can add a lot of interest to games that already include a decent handful of expansions, but it doesn't stand up well as a solo expansion, and wouldn't make for an interesting league. Naturally I'd still want to take part in it if everyone else voted for it of course, but I can't say it's something I'd be especially excited about if this was the case.
And what does he think after actually winning that League? ;) :D

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
My favourite would be Carcassonne Minis, all those available, so I vote for it. Single Minis seem to add to few tiles.
The official expansion 6 is nonetheless a good choice, although I don't personally like the official Count rules. After all, the rule is not in JCZ yet, so I think whether to include just the tiles is trivial. Sidetrack a bit, I usually include Catapult in JCZ, as the tiles are great!
Or, a couple of minis expansions are mixed, from the set of #1, 4, 5, and 7,  river I and/or II, cathar and/or besiegers, GQ11, cult, tunnel, corn circles, festival, wind rose, and German monasteries.
After all possibilities, when we go back to Inns and Cathedrals, we might consider adding just the phantom.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »
BTW, another interesting fact. Here is what Danisthirty wrote about BC&B League possibility:
In my opinion, B, C & B can add a lot of interest to games that already include a decent handful of expansions, but it doesn't stand up well as a solo expansion, and wouldn't make for an interesting league. Naturally I'd still want to take part in it if everyone else voted for it of course, but I can't say it's something I'd be especially excited about if this was the case.
And what does he think after actually winning that League? ;) :D

I already said it here: ;)

I must say I'm surprised to have won; I was in two minds as to whether or not I'd actually take part when this was announced as I've never been a huge fan of it.

The games were more interesting than I'd been expecting, but in some games the features of this expansion were hardly used at all. The bazaars added quite a lot rather than merely breaking the flow of the games, and in several games I was surprised at just how cheaply I was able to "buy" certain tiles.

Overall I learnt a lot and had a lot of fun. Who could ask for more?

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:27:01 AM »
I'm voting for option 1 (Count, King, and Robber) but option 3 (Inns & Cathedrals) would be my second preference choice.

Option 1 because of the continuity of stepping through the expansions and learning them one by one.  Option 3 would be fun for those of us who joined the forum since the expansion leagues began.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:35:03 AM »
I also picked Count, King and Robber. It just seems like we should do the best we can with what's available on JCZ with this expansion to complete the boxed expansions that are on JCZ.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:00:44 AM by jungleboy »

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 02:51:33 AM »
I would go for Count, King and Robber as well.  Lots of things going on in this expansion so i'm curious how it would work in a 2-player-game.  I must admit it's not one of my favourite expansions and that has a lot to do with the Count of Carcassonne...but that isn't included in the JCZ-version. So mixed feelings about that one:
- The mechanic of the Count seems a bit contradictory to the gameplay of Carcassonne - at least to me.
- On the other hand, I never gave the Count a honest try-out so if it would have been in the JCZ-version, I could have learnt to appreciate it...

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 04:40:56 AM »
I am struggling between option 1 and option 2. On one hand I agree that we should be consequent and play big expansions first. On the other hand, I like the idea of Carcassonne Minis compilation more and think that such League would be very interesting.
I have additional question, it was inspired by ny1050220:
Sidetrack a bit, I usually include Catapult in JCZ, as the tiles are great!
Since we, obviously, won't be playing Catapult expansion as a separate League, why don't we include Catapult expansion (which is implemented as "tiles only") into Count, King and Robber League (of course, if it will be the winner of the poll)? This will put full end on all big expansions, present in JCZ.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 05:09:15 AM »
I think Count, King and Robber sounds like a good idea but unfortunately I cannot vote for this option because of the incorrect implementation of the pig tile rule in the River II expansion. I would also like to ask MrNumbers not to start a league with this expansion until this is fixed. Ask Farin, it shouldn't be too difficult to release a new version with just this fix. Thanks!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
I think Count, King and Robber sounds like a good idea but unfortunately I cannot vote for this option because of the incorrect implementation of the pig tile rule in the River II expansion.

What would happen if you did though?! :o

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 05:31:59 AM »
I think Count, King and Robber sounds like a good idea but unfortunately I cannot vote for this option because of the incorrect implementation of the pig tile rule in the River II expansion.

What would happen if you did though?! :o

You mean, what to do if you already voted and want to change your mind? I don't know. Myself I did not vote yet, but without this issue with River II this expansion would be my choice. It seems that the majority has chosen Count, King and Robber too. However, it would be wise to wait for the (hopefully easy) fix.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »
It seems that the majority has chosen Count, King and Robber too. However, it would be wise to wait for the (hopefully easy) fix.

The trouble is that farin has not been online at CarcC for 5 months. Neither it seems has he been working actively on JCloisterZone. Even if it is an easy fix, I think contacting him and asking him to make the change may not be as simple as it seems...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Next Expansion League

Started by danisthirty

19 Replies
Last post February 06, 2015, 01:09:23 PM
by Hounk
xx
What next for the Expansion League series?

Started by danisthirty

24 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 08:16:29 AM
by Jéré
xx
The Next Expansion League (Again)

Started by danisthirty

28 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 09:12:51 AM
by Decar
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule