Author Topic: JCZ: Winter Edition - incorrect tile  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
JCZ: Winter Edition - incorrect tile
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:59:05 PM »
I've been looking at the Winter Edition Tiles implemented in JCZ and I think there is a small (unless you're a farmer) mistake:

JCZ uses the same tiles as this picture:

From BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1499736/carcassonne-winter-edition

Note that the top right CRrf tile has 3 fields in Abbey and Mayor, but only 2 in the Winter Edition.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1867.0

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: JCZ: Winter Edition - incorrect tile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 02:35:10 AM »
There is another minor error in this picture, also adapted in JCZ. It would not affect official rules, because WE is not meant to (and quite not possible) to mix with regular expansions, so if you play like that in JCZ, it's a house rule anyway.

However the last tile on the picture was taken from I&C, although there is a vanilla version (3x) in the base game as well. Note, that the CCFR has a frozen lake, while the other one has not. Of course the frozen lake is just decoration (and a kind of reference, where the tile originated from), so if you want to give the option of playing WE with expansions, you might replace it with the corresponding tile from GQ11, to prevent throwing a couple of extra inns into the mix. But like I said, WE+I&C is anyway an unofficial combination, so you can probably just as well leave the inns in the game.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:36:49 AM by Hounk »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 06:08:14 AM »
I think if you’re prepared to accept that all roads in Winter Edition Carcassonne are always worth 1 point per tile (since you can’t really combine W/E with anything other the Gingerbread Man expansion – but, as we all know, he can only go into cities) then tile artwork is purely cosmetic and I don’t really see it as a problem or an inconsistency if there are inns, frozen ponds or whatever else scattered around the landscape.

The road connected to the city is quite a big thing though, because as Decar points out, it divides the farm in a way that it wouldn’t normally be divided. I’m half inclined to believe that this may have been a deliberate attempt to subtly change the game by providing a “blocking” tile, especially since W/E introduced so many of the missing tiles required to escape from the various traps that some players like to place...  O:-)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 06:38:28 AM »
That's true for the board game WE, but not for the way, it is included in JCZ. Because here the WE tiles are substituted with green tiles of the same configuration. So a (never intended) combination of WE and I&C is possible. With the consequence, that there are two additional inns, one of them arguable from the artwork (although the frozen pond never to be considered in WE as a lake with inn), the other just a result of the fact, that the person, making the picture for comparison purpose on BGG assigned rather two wrong tiles than one. (The extra CFRR and CRRF from WE both should represent an extra piece of vanilla tiles from base game, rather then the chosen ones from I&C and A&M.)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »
That's true for the board game WE, but not for the way, it is included in JCZ. Because here the WE tiles are substituted with green tiles of the same configuration. So a (never intended) combination of WE and I&C is possible. With the consequence, that there are two additional inns, one of them arguable from the artwork (although the frozen pond never to be considered in WE as a lake with inn), the other just a result of the fact, that the person, making the picture for comparison purpose on BGG assigned rather two wrong tiles than one. (The extra CFRR and CRRF from WE both should represent an extra piece of vanilla tiles from base game, rather then the chosen ones from I&C and A&M.)

You are quite right Hounk. I had neglected to take into account that this was specifically in the context of JCZ where the Winter Edition option simply adds the extra 12 tiles in the original “summer” style.  :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Winter Edition animal tile rules?

Started by JT Atomico

0 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 08:44:20 AM
by JT Atomico
xx
Playing Online with JCloisterZone (JCZ)

Started by Meepledrone

18 Replies
Last post August 26, 2021, 11:30:04 PM