Author Topic: The Peasant Revolts interactions with other expansions  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
The Peasant Revolts interactions with other expansions
« on: November 20, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
You can find the basic version of the rules in WICA here:
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Peasant_Revolts

I'll start working on the interactions now. Some ideas from the top of my head:

* 1. Placing a Tile - Revolt actions:
   - Happen in Step 1B, so will happen even if the tile cannot be placed (already annotated in WICA)
   - Affect a number of features:
     - Eligible features: roads (and bridges or labyrinths), cities and all monastic buildings (for the sake of consistency)
     - Non-eligible features:
       - Regular features: fields, acrobat spaces, German castles, Baba Yaga´s Hut, German cathedrals, gardens, fortune teller tents
       - Special areas: tower pieces, Exp. 8 castles, Wheel of Fortune, city of Carcassonne, city of Leipzig,  batthouses, Solovei Razboynik tree, Vodyanoy lake,  ...
   - Generate a new scoring event in the same scoring round as the Wheel of Fortune
   - May trigger Messages

* 2. Placing a Meeple - Protecting meeples:
   - Step 2B-1 & 2B-2: Any meeple placed on the eligible features can be protected (yoy pay 4 points).
     - This can be a direct placement or via a magic portal or a flying machine.
     - Meeples placed on a special monastery may need an additional marker due to the ambiguity
   - Step 2B-1: If a meeple is not placed in this step (therefore, no other action in this step takes place), an unprotected meeple already placed on an eligible feature can be protected (you pay 2 points)
   - Step 2B-2: You can place your phantom even if you protected a meeple placed on another tile in Step 2B-2
  Protected meeples can perform any actions normally:
   - Step 2B-1: A protected abbot can be removed and scored
   - Step 2C: A protected meeple can harvest and sell fruit

* 3. Scoring a meeple:
  - A protected knight in a small city converted in to a castle, will become unprotected when placed in a castle. (Castles are not cities)
  - A protected wagon: will become unprotected after scoring if moved to another feature? Wording suggests that meeples become unprotected when back into their owner's supply (Open question)
  -  Meeples redeployed cannot be protected (they are deployed and scored right away)

Anything you may want to be clarified?

EDIT: Reviewed wording about the movement of the wagon.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4902.0
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:09:30 AM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New mini expansion Carcassonne - The Peasant Revolts on cundco.de
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 06:44:12 PM »
I don't think the Wagon would become unprotected after scoring. If it can be moved to another feature, it just moves like that. It does not go back to the player's hand, and it does not take part in the "Place a follower" step of that turn.

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:35 AM »
If you have 2 protected meeples, you can receive 2 points and 2 points or 4 points (it is important for messages and robbers). It should be 4 (like the Big Top). Also, I think that the wagon is still protected if you move it; the protection ends if it is returned to your supply.
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 07:04:31 AM »
Hi Drodo,

I was pondering both options (even as possible variants in the worst case scenario):

A) Wagons maintain their protection if moving after scoring: This is a more advantageous approach for wagons, but the protection is lost if it's moved to a feature other than a road, a city or a monastic building. This option would boost the interest for the wagon in games with this expansion.

B) The protection is lost after each scoring: This is the most conservative approach. You have to pay points for every feature your wagon occupies. This would match the original rules.

Option A) seems very interesting as it assumes that protection is lost when the wagon moves to a feature that is not affected by peasant revolts or the wagon is sent back to its owner's supply. It

Option B) is more strict. It assumes that the protection is over after each scoring. In this case, the sequence in the rules shouldn't be assumed as written on stone. So stressing that the the meeples once in the supply become unprotected, would be a poetic license, so to speak.

I sent a question to HiG to confirm what option was the intended one. They won't confirm or deny anything regarding interactions with other expansions, so no direct question about this can be asked... Just about the intended meaning of the wording. I cross my fingers.

Cheers!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 07:06:24 AM »
If you have 2 protected meeples, you can receive 2 points and 2 points or 4 points (it is important for messages and robbers). It should be 4 (like the Big Top).

Ha ha ha! I knew you would be concerned about this nuance. (I included this in my notes above.)

Check Example 2 here: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Peasant_Revolts#2._Placing_a_meeple

As you can see Red scores 4 points for 2 protected meeples placed in different cities. So each player scores as one scoring event all the points associated to peasant revolts. 

Also, I think that the wagon is still protected if you move it; the protection ends if it is returned to your supply.

I've been re-reading this section in English and German and the wording seems to closer to the meeples becoming unprotected when they are back into their owner's supply.

I sent a question to HiG just to confirm the original intent. Hope they reply eventually...

Offline Gagoune

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
  • To place or not to place...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 01:48:48 AM »
Thanks meepledrone for the WiCa page ! (+1 merit)

I've translated it in french... I'll do a pdf if the french publisher (Asmodee) does not decide to edit it !  :))

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 01:55:30 AM »
Messages: Negative points to get message. Cool I didn't realize this!
So combination of this new expansion with messages can be powerfull to get extra point in MegaCarcassone

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 03:54:19 AM »
So combination of this new expansion with messages can be powerfull to get extra point in MegaCarcassone

Be careful! You can only receive a message when scoring (positive) points during your turn. If any of your scoring figures moves backwards (scoring minus points due to some payment) and lands on a dark space, you won't receive a message.

You may revisit the rules here:
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »
Yes, negative points can't get you a message, but they are still a good combo. You can get your scoring meeple into a position to get message in subsequent scoring. The worst case scenario - you get the 2 point back through the seal.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 11:27:22 AM »

Be careful! You can only receive a message when scoring (positive) points during your turn. If any of your scoring figures moves backwards (scoring minus points due to some payment) and lands on a dark space, you won't receive a message.

You may revisit the rules here:
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages

Right, thanks.

Yes, negative points can't get you a message, but they are still a good combo. You can get your scoring meeple into a position to get message in subsequent scoring. The worst case scenario - you get the 2 point back through the seal.

Do you think scenario, that you place tile, and without placing meeple, and you finish for example road and get 3 points?

If you have meeple on scoring board on position 5k+4 so you will go forward to 5(k+1)+2, so you don't get message.
But if you choose protect any meeple on board (because you don't place any meeple in Place Wood phase), your scoring meeple will be moved backward from 5k+4 to 5k+2 and then you get 3 points, so meeple will move to 5(k+1) position = dark space on scoring board position and you get message.
Hmm, good strategy. And as you said, you miss nothing, because you get minimum 2 points and your meeple will be at least on 5(k+1)+2 position.
So math explenation of your 2 sentenses ;-)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:29:08 AM by Bumsakalaka »

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 01:44:07 PM »
Yes, exactly what I meant  ;)

Not only do you "not lose anything", you gain 1 protected meeple with extra scoring potential.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:45:56 PM by tp10053 »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 09:49:39 PM »
Yes, exactly what I meant  ;)

Not only do you "not lose anything", you gain 1 protected meeple with extra scoring potential.
Indeed ;-)

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 05:37:48 AM »
Two questions about the order of play. I know there isn't gonna be any official clarification, but what do you think?

When should the revolt take place when combined with the wheel of fortune, directly before or directly after the WoF action ?

Also, when combined with the plague, I guess we may place a flea token before the revolt? In some scenarios, that could remove our only unprotected meeple to make the revolt pass on to the next player   >:D

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 05:42:12 AM »
Oh, I forgot one: Can we protect a phantom, when placing it (4 points) and / or during a following turn (2 points)?

I don't know when placing it, but I'd suggest it's possible in a following turn (2 points).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 05:43:43 AM by corinthiens13 »

Offline Carcassonne0123

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 06:14:56 AM »
To be honest I am not to bothered on missing out on this, it looks similar to Crop Circles.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Clarification of rules (peasant revolts - part 2) - with HiG - 12 01 2021

Started by Meepledrone

17 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 04:31:35 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
The Peasant Revolts expansion

Started by Finstochian

9 Replies
Last post December 05, 2020, 11:49:44 PM
by Vital Pluymers
xx
The Barbarian Report: Revolting Peasants and Reclining Meeples (Peasant Revolts)

Started by Whaleyland

1 Replies
Last post December 18, 2021, 01:47:26 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Clarification of rules (abbot, Spiel tiles, peasant revolts) - with HiG - 24 11 2020

Started by Meepledrone

23 Replies
Last post January 05, 2021, 11:01:36 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
New mini expansion Carcassonne - The Peasant Revolts on cundco.de

Started by Bumsakalaka

61 Replies
Last post November 29, 2020, 12:59:29 AM
by cicerunner