Author Topic: Cartagena. Pirates on the move  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
Cartagena. Pirates on the move
« on: November 15, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »

Cartagena is a city in the south-eastern part of Spain. Specific it's a major naval city and was one of the most defensive ports of the western Mediterranean.
Cartagena is since the 16th century the most important naval seaport and main militairy haven of Spain, the home to a large naval shipyard.

But some of you pirates know this city, not as a great navel port. But as the doom for pirates, where they are getting locked up in a cell where is no way out. Far away from their comrades, their good shipmates. Far away from their well earned treasures, their gold. Now they only have a chain around there ankles. Sometimes they get some bread, if they are lucky. But normaly it's only salt water.

Now one of their comrades had found a tunnel, perhaps it is a way out? With the six of them they enter the tunnel. Walking and walking till they find another pirate that was enprisoned. An enemy of ours, we need to fight a way through the tunnel. And now it began a race to all of them, to find the exit. One of them reached the end and found an old boat there. Their way out, their way to freedom. If they only could fit with all of them in the boat, they could be free together. My five other MATES, they need to get into to boat to! Hurry mans, come'on MATES he yelled. We need to go, the others are coming!!! We need to be free!

And so the 6 deadly pirates escaped, wanted by the Spanish crown. Free, to pirate again. To sail the seas, to plunder the good men.

Cartagena is a game where teams of 6 pirates are fighting each other to beat them to reach the boat at the end of the tunnel. In the tunnel there are a lot of obstacles. Those obstacles can form problems in your journey to lead them, as you are laying cards down to move your pirates. On those cards there are all different pictures; dagger, key, hat, skull, pistol and rum. When you want to move your pirate into the front you only need to play one of those cards and he moves to the next free spot of that symbol, no symbol free anymore. You enter the boat instead. Well you also need some cards back, so to get cards you can do a step backwards. If there was standing one other pirate, you get one card. If there were standing two pirates, you get two cards. If there are standing three pirates, you skip them and go to the next one.

I like Cartagena about the fun that you don't know which action your oponent is going to do. Specially if you are with five players and everyone is using different tactics to get to the front. It goes quit quick then, although it is not really a game that you have in your own hand. It really depends on what the other users are doing. I, personaly think that that part of the game is the most interesting thing I like about this game. The fun you have when you discover that they messed up your tactic and you have to do something else now.

This game is a very light and simple game, easy to teach, fun to play and has a big replayabity. The last is because the tunnel exist out of 7 small tunnels that can be placed on different ways. So that you can have everytime a different map. Also if you want more tactic in your game, it is possible to play with an open variant. With this variant it is posible to see which cards you will get, when you are doing a step back. One problem, your oponents will know which card you took.

I would rate it a good party game for in between after. It's fast not to short. It's 30 min around. And there are two variants, one with a closed card pile and one with 12 cards laying open. So there is also a tactic play in this game.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4134.0
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 05:19:26 AM by Sinscerly »
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Cartagena. Pirates on the move
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:08:29 AM »
A merit from me Sinscerly, this looks to be a very fun game!
It looks very straight forward based on your description.

Guess it lost out to another popular game when it was ranked for the SDJ  in 2001. ;D

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
Re: Cartagena. Pirates on the move
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:16:26 AM »
A merit from me Sinscerly, this looks to be a very fun game!
It looks very straight forward based on your description.

Guess it lost out to another popular game when it was ranked for the SDJ  in 2001. ;D
Yes, it is. I have the old old version. There are some newer functions with different play, also another character. Which I think is not needed. But have still once to find someone who has it to try that version. I have seen the new version at my local FLGS but it's like half tunnel then the boat and then some run a way on Islands... I don't get the change. And wouldn't feel the need to have it changed. My mom found some weeks ago the same version as I have, so she bought it ;D to keep it for herself. Now we can play one extreme long tunnel.  O0

Thank you :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
The Plague - divide a swarm of fleas by choosing to move one of them

Started by loki

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2015, 11:23:34 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
when move the fairy?in the expansion princess and dragon

Started by davide

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 11:59:16 AM
by davide
xx
You can move back a tile ?

Started by jma03

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 03:11:44 AM
by jma03
xx
Next Move Strategy

Started by PapaGeek

0 Replies
Last post May 06, 2022, 10:23:48 AM
by PapaGeek
xx
The Fairy - can I move it when I have no followers left to place?

Started by saery

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 08:34:36 PM
by Fritz_Spinne