Author Topic: New Complete Annotated Rules v. 6.4  (Read 22198 times)

Offline wicke

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 11
  • The Vikings will invade the South Seas
    • View Profile
    • Patrik's Page
Re: New Complete Annotated Rules v. 6.4
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 03:47:14 AM »
I think it's best to have only the most recent version. The older versions are obsolete, and we don't want people referring to them when asking questions.

I agree Scott, but a Version History with dates (or at least year and month) would be nice anyway.
My website:
http://www.wikstromtree.org/
although the games page is yet to be started

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 06:28:42 AM »
I think it's best to have only the most recent version. The older versions are obsolete, and we don't want people referring to them when asking questions.

I agree Scott, but a Version History with dates (or at least year and month) would be nice anyway.
Each expansion has become a different new update from HiG.
In the CAR v6.4:
The minis 1-6: Version 2013 in combination with some parts of the BigBox4 (2012)
Princess and the Dragon: Version 2013 in combination of some parts of the BigBox3 (2010)
The Tower: BigBox1 (autumn 2006) - At HiG homepage is the old version (spring 2006) online

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 01:52:58 AM »
Request: Anyone able to convert the CAR .pdf to .doc (Microsoft Word Document)?

I have looked for a decent free converter but can't find any that works. I do not have Office 2013 which supposedly should be able to open it.

Reason: Need to truncate the document by setting the text to 5 pixels before printing.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
The CAR is purposely distributed in PDF format to protect against making changes.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
Heavily formatted documents such as the CAR do not translate well into .doc formats. Word hates images. Period.

So, with Sheep & Hills and The Cloisters/Monasteries/Whatever now released, when can we expect to see CAR 6.5? I've already got both expansions en route to me now.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 04:28:27 PM »
Heavily formatted documents such as the CAR do not translate well into .doc formats. Word hates images. Period.

Well, I did get my Word 2013 installed and it loaded up CAR beautifully. Everything intact. I abandoned the project, though. I just wanted to change the textsize of the entire file to 5 pixels to save paper when printing. I managed to truncate it down to 96 pages but still it's a lot of paper.

Sticking to the .pdf original, but at least now I know it's the best option.  O:-)

Note: This was meant as a one copy for personal use and certainly not to spread or share.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 04:34:25 AM »
Well, I did get my Word 2013 installed and it loaded up CAR beautifully. Everything intact. I abandoned the project, though. I just wanted to change the textsize of the entire file to 5 pixels to save paper when printing. I managed to truncate it down to 96 pages but still it's a lot of paper.
In the For What It's Worth column, I keep mine on a table, and on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3).  Not nice reading on the phone, but it can be done.  Very nice reading on the 10.1" tablet.

Have not tried it on my 7" tablet yet.  It has a lower resolution screen.  It was purchased used for $20, so I can't complain....

Tablets are getting real cheap.  A 7" with half-decent resolution should be sufficient for reading books or documents like the CAR.  They are small enough to carry with you, so you always have reading material with you.  This is above and beyond their abilities to access the internet for email, browsing, etc.

When playing Carcassonne in my dining room, I have my 10.1" Samsung Tab (free! from Rogers as part of a package) handing the scoring.  It also have the CAR loaded and ready.  It is also playing music on a Bluetooth speaker that is hidden on top of a wall unit.
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 09:07:47 AM »
Hi whaleyland,
I told to obervet that it would come around Easter time a new mini.
He was waiting for this mini expansion. Now we need a translation of  the rules...

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 06:42:52 AM »
Now that HiG's flurry of Carcassonne activity has paused again (I think), and I have some awesome English translations of the new expansions (thanks wamboyil!), the CAR machinery is slowly cranking up again. In a couple of weeks I'll be through the heavy part of my lecture and lab schedule, so I should be able to see about getting v. 6.5 out.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 09:28:31 AM »
Now that HiG's flurry of Carcassonne activity has paused again (I think), and I have some awesome English translations of the new expansions (thanks wamboyil!), the CAR machinery is slowly cranking up again. In a couple of weeks I'll be through the heavy part of my lecture and lab schedule, so I should be able to see about getting v. 6.5 out.
Excellent...  >:D

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 09:44:16 AM »
Great work... It will definitely help me get my head around sheep and hills before I obtain a copy

Offline coyote

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • Square Tile
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
Hey -
Was reading this just now, and ran across something in The Phantom -

The text reads:
After placing a tile, the player may deploy the phantom to it as a second follower (on a
second feature).368 369 Thus, in one turn the player may deploy two followers370 371 372 373 to two different features of the tile he or she just placed.374 375 376 When the phantom follower is returned to the player's supply, it may be deployed again in the same way in a later turn.

However, Footnote #369 reads:
A Phantom can also be played to areas such as the Wheel of Fortune or a tower - the Phantom is not restricted to placement on the tile that was just placed. Note, however, the prohibition on double use of magic portals and flier symbols below. (11/2013)

So which one's right? I don't have the Phantom, so I haven't been playing with it either way. :)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
Hey -
Was reading this just now, and ran across something in The Phantom -

The text reads:
After placing a tile, the player may deploy the phantom to it as a second follower (on a
second feature).368 369 Thus, in one turn the player may deploy two followers370 371 372 373 to two different features of the tile he or she just placed.374 375 376 When the phantom follower is returned to the player's supply, it may be deployed again in the same way in a later turn.

However, Footnote #369 reads:
A Phantom can also be played to areas such as the Wheel of Fortune or a tower - the Phantom is not restricted to placement on the tile that was just placed. Note, however, the prohibition on double use of magic portals and flier symbols below. (11/2013)

So which one's right? I don't have the Phantom, so I haven't been playing with it either way. :)
Both, but the wording is a bit wonky. Basically, the Phantom is placed like a normal follower. Period. A player may place it after placing a follower (or can just place it as a follower) and it can only go on a feature on the just-placed tile. However, the City and the Wheel of Fortune are always places that Followers can be placed, so they are also allowed.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
In all cases where you can place a follower outside the tile (City, Wheel, tower) you can use the phantom, too. You cannot use features like magic gate or flyer for follower and phantom - only one follower or phantom per tile.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
I was under the impression that the entire point of the Phantom was so that players could claim two features on a single tile. Also, the Magic Portal, when used normally, can allow two followers on a single tile.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New Complete Annotated Rules

Started by obervet

32 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 05:41:57 AM
by obervet
exclamation
NEW Complete Annotated Rules

Started by obervet

36 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 04:11:02 AM
by asparagus
xx
Complete Annotated Rules - check these files for answers before asking questions

Started by Scott

0 Replies
Last post February 13, 2013, 05:53:10 PM
by Scott
xx
Complete Annotated Rules v. 7.0, 2nd printing

Started by obervet

65 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 11:06:22 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Correction to Complete Annotated Rules re Königstein Fortress