Author Topic: CCDL - Premiership Spring 2019  (Read 19213 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: CCDL - Premiership Spring 2019
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2019, 02:31:17 PM »
This evening I played my match with my good friend and long-standing Carcassonne rival MrNumbers. I can't pretend that I was particularly looking forward to this clash as I have a terrible track record a) against MrNumbers, and b) with Abbey & Mayor. However, the final result surprised me as I'm sure it will you too:

I could spend a long time writing about the events that took place in this game, but there were really only a few key moments. The first of which occurred within the first dozen tiles when I was given the chance to place my barn on a field containing just one (besieged) city that I was already farming. It was risky, but I was glad just to have my barn down even if it only got me a few points as I tend to let them go to waste otherwise. As it was, I could concentrate on expanding my farm and dropping extra farmers onto it whenever safe opportunities to do so arose, and I also had several opportunities to claim some minor/ adjacent farms towards the end of the game which all helped to boost my score significantly.

Another thing to mention about this game was that a lot of cloisters seemed to come out very early. MrNumbers and I both seemed to spur each other on in this respect as neither of us wanted to forego a championship point for the sake of a single unclaimed cloister! It meant we both struggled for meeples at points while we both had 2 or 3 monks each down at the same time though, and with this came some difficult decisions when neither of us had more than 1 or 2 meeples left to commit elsewhere. Also weird, was the fact that there was only ever one space suitable for an Abbey and that was because I created one with the sole purpose of placing my Abbey in it (and completing a city and another cloister in the process).

I was very lucky with respect to cities and seemed to draw some great splitter tiles at some key moments when I most needed them. Not only did this mean I didn't lose out on too many city points (with the exception of the huge besieged city in the east that MrNumbers won outright after some effort) but it also added extra cities to my barn farm.

I didn't score many points from roads, although I hadn't realised that MrNumbers had outscored me so significantly here either. This was something I was willing to let go, mostly because I tended to use road tiles as an opportunity to get extra farmers back onto my barn farm rather than claiming the roads themselves. Clearly MrNumbers wasn't going to do this, and expand my barn farm in the process, so it makes sense that he would have picked up more road points than I did.

So, at the end of it all it was 4 - 1 to me and +170 PD thanks in no small part to the favourable tile draws. Thanks very much for the game MrNumbers and good luck with the rest of your matches!

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »
Rosco  :red-meeple: 0 - 5  :blue-meeple: Thodekey

Many tiles, many cloisters, many city parts and gold! That ought te be the recipe for a challenging game.
Both of us started building our own city and making it bigger with the builder.  One of the key factors was that I was lucky to complete mine quite fast while Rosco -also due to my nevertheless not succeeded attempt of blocking that city- struggled in completing his one.
I drew some gold tiles in the start, Rosco per caught up on me on that one.

In scoring cloisters, both of us were quite cautious.  I succeeded in closing on of my cloisters while I could block one of Rosco's cloisters.
I was lucky to share the city in the far north and leading 2-1 in the city just below that one, including my builder.  In one turn, I could complete that one and the one above...which not only gave me some extra points advantage but also gave me the upper hand in the trading goods. (till that point, Rosco was leading in it)
The end, we both concentrated on the largest farm I had claimed first.  With a golden round-a-bout Rosco took the gamble of joining that farm and even increasing it more.  With some big luck, I succeeded in joining 2 more farmers and blocked one attempt of Rosco.

The result was a 0-5 score, although the game sure didn't feel unbalanced.  It just was one of those rare occasions where all the right tiles came my way on the right moment.

I wish you the best in your upcoming games, Rosco!

And for the gold: well, I lost that feature again on points.  And the same goes up for the consumed time.  ??? 

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
Rich_The_Fish  :yellow-meeple: 4 - 1  :red-meeple: MrNumbers

Note: It's late and need to make my bed after doing the washing earlier! Write up to follow tomorrow night (hopefully) as I'll be playing Rosco tomorrow lunchtime so won't get chance then. Cheers

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 03:12:07 PM »
I made a thing:

The important thing to note is that there are still 6 3 games left to play before Friday!
  • Danisthirty vs. MrNumbers
  • MrNumbers vs. Rich_The_Fish
  • MrNumbers vs. Rosco
  • MrNumbers vs. Thodekey
  • Rich_The_Fish vs. Rosco
  • Rosco vs. Thodekey

Looks like MrNumbers and Rosco are going to have a busy day tomorrow!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2019, 03:24:55 PM »
I am hoping Mr numbers can play during the day tomorrow.
I am working at night

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2019, 05:57:01 AM »
Well that was tense - we hadf a bit of a nightmare in the middle with the connection but what a game!

Rosco ( :red-meeple:) 171 - 159 - ( :yellow-meeple:) Rich_the_fish

From the start i was losing meeples to the towers left right and centre - i think that at one point Rich had 5 of my meeples!  I kept claiming features and buying back a meeple but it was only much later that i managed to turn the meeple capture around.

It was a very close game and fairly evenly matched in terms of luck and skill i thought. 

Great game - could have gone either way - 3 - 2 on features.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2019, 06:25:10 AM »
W00t!

2 more to go... :) :(y)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2019, 06:34:14 AM »
Mr numbers and I may struggle  to finish this weekend.

Can we have a homework extension please sir?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2019, 07:47:10 AM »
MrNumbers vs. thodekey
205:202
4:1

At least one win in this season, and again, I failed to use my own expansion - my barn left unplaced. Still, I managed to win all other features, but gold helped me to win in overall points. Thanks for the enjoyable game, Thomas! :)

P.S. To avoid relegation, I must win Rosco with at least 2 league points difference (4-1 or 5-0), or 1 league point (3-2) and 168 game points difference.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:55:27 AM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »
I will be updating the league table in the morning and discussing outstanding matches once this is complete.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »
Last game of the season is over!

MrNumbers vs. Rosco
285:235
4:1

A quick game with Rosco, and again I lost the farms, but managed to win everything else :)
With this win I avoided relegation :o (phew!)

Thanks everyone for the games and for the patience ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 02:18:32 PM by MrNumbers, Reason: Results added »

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2019, 01:58:45 AM »
A big thanks to all players for making this league happen and for finishing all fixtures (nearly) on time!!

Congratulations to Leven for winning the title and to everyone else for making the tournament so close and interesting.

I will be sorting out the Summer league this week.

Final table attached.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2019, 06:22:19 AM »
Thanks for overseeing it all TheSteve, and for coming up with the concept in the first place!

Congratulations Leven for coming out on top. Really pleased we managed to get all of our games played, and delighted to have won myself a title in the process too!

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:14 AM »
Hello gentlemen,

Indeed a big thank you to The OneAndOnlySteve for all the effort he puts in this competition.
Also a special thanks to all of the competitors for making it possible to play all of the games and to all the people who have been so kind to host these games.

Allready looking forward to the summer edition.

Your "Knoble Knight" Thodekey  ;)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »
Thanks, Steve, for organizing this league!  :(y)
Am I missing something, or no games were played in Championship division? :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
CCDL - Championship Spring 2019

Started by TheSteveAllen

12 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 05:55:49 AM
by TheSteveAllen
clip
CCDL - Premiership Winter 2018

Started by TheSteveAllen

97 Replies
Last post February 18, 2019, 03:08:31 PM
by danisthirty
xx
CCDL - Summer 2019

Started by TheSteveAllen

38 Replies
Last post November 11, 2019, 05:04:56 PM
by JackFace
xx
Cundco spring 2023 US group buy

Started by gamgeefan2

20 Replies
Last post June 09, 2023, 12:51:35 PM
by gamgeefan2
question
Searching for a River Fan made Mod Tile - The Spring and 3 Roads.

Started by Nebus

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 04:29:19 PM
by wolnic