Author Topic: A maze of rules  (Read 41427 times)

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
Re: A maze of rules
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 07:47:10 AM »
Remember that the copyright for the artwork on all of the tiles still belongs to HiG. Thus, even if we make our own example pictures, ultimately the publisher has to be on board with it.

Likewise for publication of the rules. They own the copyright to the rules text, so we can't go copy-pasting any of that onto a website/wiki/blog without the okay of HiG.

This is true on both fronts. I hope that if this gets moved forward they would be open to it, seeing as the CAR is, among many other things, also a compendium of the published rulebooks and is a freely-accessible download and many of the distributors also post the rulebooks online for free.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
I kind of doubt they'll care, but we may have to take a wait and see approach. Has anyone contacted Hans im Gluck yet and asked if such an idea would be allowed? We'd need the right to publish the rules in a different format and a right to either use the images from the books or create our own using the tile art and wooden bits.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
The examples in the CAR match the original rules because the CAR is a translation of them. Having different examples would make the perceptibly CAR different from the original rules. Adding more examples would be ok though.

I know that some of you, particularly DLloyd09, are excited about this idea, but as Derek and Chris have mentioned, we need to think through the ramifications and make sure that the publisher is on board.

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2015, 07:15:43 PM »
While I am quite enthusiastic about it, I totally agree that if this is to be done, it needs to be done right.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Road tiles maze fun.

Started by Paul

15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 05:17:50 AM
by Paul
xx
Print whole rules and annotated rules from wikicarpedia

Started by joanBC

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2021, 03:54:02 AM