Author Topic: Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?  (Read 13623 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
Haha, you just reminded me of Rosco's famous quote:  "What do I collect when I've finished collecting everything?  Might as well start my second set"

I was actually really impressed with Thirsty Meeple's Spin Off Library.  I'd happily acquire a second set, of most things, if it meant to we could go travelling and not worry so much about damage.  I think The City & WoF are the hardest to find at the moment.  I'm sure we could find an extra Ark of the Covenant from somewhere.....

Online Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »
If mega participation is an aim of some people then an attempt at playing 20 versions simultaneously would also be a record?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:46:29 AM »
If mega participation is an aim of some people then an attempt at playing 20 versions simultaneously would also be a record?

That would be a feat and great to film it. :)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 03:32:16 AM »
Imagine if a random person, having never played Carcassonne played all the spin-offs with us.  That would be a real achievement!
I'm not that keen on bringing all of my games somewhere public if the idea is to let random people join in (definitely made me nervous with all of my expansions in Rugby!), so we'd need some way to source them all.

I don't want to speak for Decar, but I think that was more of a 'What if...?' throw-away line rather than anything else. The event might attract some attention if it was held in a board game cafe or somewhere similar, but I don't think having random people playing with us would really be the intention.

Personally, I'm not too keen on this version. I think having a small group of people playing every game consecutively is far more interesting and impressive than having a large group play each game simultaneously.

Some reasons why I favour keeping it small in terms of participants:

- It would be easier to manage.
- Everyone could focus on the one game (or 2/3 in the case of the Castle) that's going on. We already saw on Saturday how tracking even two tables became difficult. In some people's reports they noted that they had no idea what was happening on the other table (which is only natural, of course).
- It would be better for record-keeping and statistics. It would be fun to document the scores and see at the end of the day who won the most games, who had the highest score, what was the biggest margin of victory, etc etc. And if it's the same players for every game (again, Castle aside), that makes it so much more interesting. We could even swap meeple colours for each game and do stats on the colours. [Aside: I am a former sports statistician of sorts, so maybe I am into this more than most people...]
- Along the same lines, it would be better for photos and coverage.
- Not to try to sound anti-social, but I think with a smaller group, the sense of camaraderie and shared achievement would be greater.

Anyway, that's just what I think. It's good to have some different ideas though, and I think that since it's halfling's idea to begin with and since JT owns all the versions and has offered to use them, their views should carry the most weight.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:52:35 AM by jungleboy »

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 03:56:41 AM »
I entirely agree with jungleboy. I was trying to collect my thoughts to post something along those lines but he has said it much more clearly than I could have done. :)

In particular, I agree that a small group of people playing through all of the games would be more enjoyable than a big group trying to coordinate multiple simultaneous games.

However, I do understand the particular objection to it being in an office (FWIW, it is a very nice office!). If it was somewhere relatively local like Draughts (or perhaps just a nearby pub) then I would be happy to bring my games along if it were only forum members taking part.

Who would be interested in this version of the event? From the thread so far it looks like me, Halfling, jungleboy and Curt194.

(Also, I'm not sure if people are being serious, but I very much doubt that this would be a qualifying Guinness World Record because it is strictly limited by the number of games that have been released. I'd be very happy for it to just be a Carcassonne Central Record :).)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »
Is there still any momentum for this?

If so, what are the issues to resolve?

- Date and place
- Format
- Possible sourcing of games

Anything else?

Online Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »
A list of participants. I guess up to 8 players with 2 games in play at all times. But date and location must be nailed first.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 02:57:37 PM »
I would most certainly want to attend but able to commit with the hours is a lot tougher decision.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 12:29:09 AM »
It looks like we might have four members actually wanting to come and commit to playing:
  • Halfling
  • JT Atomico
  • jungleboy
  • Curt194

Perhaps we should ask others to confirm if they want to take part by the end of the weekend, then we could move to private messages to make plans from Monday (16th)?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 06:32:40 AM »
Sounds good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »
Sounds good to me as well, I'm definitely still interested   :(y)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »
I like the idea guys and am keen to play some more versions / spin-offs, but I would probably struggle to commit to such a marathon session if I'm honest. I hope that you manage to get things sorted and look forward to hearing about it.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
Paul and Rich_The_Fish, we can keep you informed and you can decide how involved you want to be. :)

Decar, are you interested in this event in the format suggested? I wasn't sure from your posts on the thread whether you would only be interested in the mass-participation version.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 10:58:06 PM »
I am interested but it would depend massively on dates

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »
Decar, are you interested in this event in the format suggested? I wasn't sure from your posts on the thread whether you would only be interested in the mass-participation version.

Thanks; but I'll pass this time - Good luck with the challenge:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
World Record Attempt 2016

Started by Paul

226 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 02:17:43 AM
by jungleboy
xx
The 'Alternative' World Cup League

Started by TheSteveAllen

123 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 09:08:08 AM