Poll

Which version(s) of Wheel of Fortune do you own or want to own?

I own the German, English and language-independent versions of the Wheel of Fortune.
2 (3.1%)
I own one stand-alone version and the Big Box 5 version, but I want the remaining version to complete my collection.
4 (6.2%)
I own one stand-alone version and the Big Box 5 version, and that's enough for my collection.
14 (21.5%)
I own only one version of Wheel of Fortune (which one?), but I want another version or versions to complete my collection.
3 (4.6%)
I own only one version of Wheel of Fortune (which one?), and that's enough for my collection.
32 (49.2%)
I don't own any versions of Wheel of Fortune.
9 (13.8%)
Other (please explain below).
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #5: Wheel of Fortune  (Read 13736 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Completionism Poll #5: Wheel of Fortune
« on: February 08, 2016, 02:25:45 AM »
The Completionism Poll is a weekly series where we ask how much of a completionist you are by breaking the game down into different expansions and elements. This week we look at the Wheel of Fortune.

Wheel of Fortune was released as a hard-to-define expansion/spin-off/addition in 2009. It was the first element in the Carcassonne series to feature text on a tile, with words written in German or English (depending on your edition) on the Wheel start tile. The English edition is out of print and difficult to come by, while the German version (which also includes a book with the same title as the game) is easier to come by.

Big Box 5, released in 2014, contained a language-independent version of the Wheel. Another difference in this version was that not all tiles contained the wheel watermark (see page 114-115 of the CAR for a full explanation of the differences).

So, Carcassonne collectors, which version(s) do you own? Do you think a stand-alone version and the BB5 version is necessary for your collection? Is the language (or language independency) on the Wheel start tile important to you? Does the watermark issue matter to you? Does the German book matter to you?

Vote in the poll and discuss your thoughts below!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2426.0

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
Re: Completionism Poll #5: Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 02:31:44 AM »
BB5 version here - can't see that having any other version is going to change my life one scintilla - think we've played WoF 4 times here and each time it seemed to be more of a distraction than anything else - but that's just us.
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 02:53:42 AM »
Primarily the BB5 for me.  It's complete and the Wheel is accessible because of iconography.

But I did pick up a copy of the German Edition with the book recently - mainly for the watermarked tiles, I was bidding on some other stuff at the same time.

Given, I'm unlikely to master German any time soon, I could live without the book  :(y)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:35:39 AM »
I honestly consider the original German/English version a stand-alone full game and an expansion. I've played it as both. I have the English Rio Grande version and much prefer it to the icon-only version. I just don't get what the icons are telling me, but I do understand the Wheel text and what it is implying. It just makes more sense. I own the RGG and the Big Box 5 versions, but I didn't get the BB5 version for the Wheel of Fortune, only The River III. That being said, I certainly plan to keep both expansions, but I REALLY am not a fan of base game tiles having Wheel icons with no watermarks. Not cool! I know why they did it, but I find the reasoning just plain dumb. They cheaped out when they made BB5. They should have included Wheel of Fortune AS the base game, with the Wheel instructions separated from the rest (like they do with the Farmer now). Then they should have tossed in another large expansion in its place. What they did is just baffling and downright cheap of them and I don't appreciate it much. I consider the 12 extra Wheel tiles an expansion for the Wheel of Fortune expansion, but I have yet to decide what I think of the remaining tiles in the set.

English-language is the only version I wanted or needed – the BB5 version is superfluous but I have it anyway, not for completionism's sake, only because I got it via another expansion I wanted.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:38:50 AM »
I own very strange version of WoF: I have only starting tile (English) and big pig. By that time (2012) I decided not to buy the whole game, but just necessary parts and just wrote little numbers with black marker on my basic set tiles. It was enough for me. Now I want to buy actual WoF, but it is out of print already, so probably I will end up with buying BB5 someday.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:43:26 AM »
I own very strange version of WoF: I have only starting tile (English) and big pig. By that time (2012) I decided not to buy the whole game, but just necessary parts and just wrote little numbers with black marker on my basic set tiles. It was enough for me. Now I want to buy actual WoF, but it is out of print already, so probably I will end up with buying BB5 someday.

Aha! So now I know why tiles with numbers written on them keep cropping up in the forum photo game... ;)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 03:43:33 AM »

Yes, that is strange :)

I own a somewhat less-strange version. I bought the German edition, and then bought the language-independent tile separately from BB5 (from Carcassonne Shoppe before its closure). And not two days ago I gave away the German starting tile to a good cause that's coming to a forum near you soon. So I am left with the standalone version, but with the language-independent tile. So I'm happy with that and don't feel the need to get anything else. 

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 03:45:46 AM »
I decided not to buy the whole game, but just necessary parts and just wrote little numbers with black marker on my basic set tiles. It was enough for me.

MrNumbers - you are a legend.  A merit for your ingenuity.  :(y)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 04:21:18 AM »
I just own the cannibalized Wheel parts of the BB5.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 05:23:37 AM »
Aha! So now I know why tiles with numbers written on them keep cropping up in the forum photo game... ;)

And I was waiting for a question about these numbers, but nobody asked :D Now it has been revealed ::)

I decided not to buy the whole game, but just necessary parts and just wrote little numbers with black marker on my basic set tiles. It was enough for me.

MrNumbers - you are a legend.  A merit for your ingenuity.  :(y)

Thanks! ;) I think gameplay is on the first place and it isn't ruined without good-looking numbers :D

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:04:11 AM »
BB5 edition here, I find WoF fun to play, since it gives you an out when a meeple is trapped or a project is just not that interesting anymore. But not looking to complete my collection further with any other releases of WoF.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »

Love your ingenuity! Merit for you!

I just own the cannibalized Wheel parts of the BB5.

My wife and I own the tiles and parts from BB5 too (interesting to see how many others also own the BB5 option). This is simply because we started playing and collecting Carcassonne from 2014 and it was already near impossible to get hold of the original version back then. It's similar to the reasoning behind Crop Circles and other very early expansions
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:14:53 AM by ARabidMeerkat »
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 04:00:08 AM »
I bought the German edition when it was released I think in 2010?

Then, a couple years later it was finally released over here in The Netherlands in a Dutch version. As I already had all the expansions in Dutch version, I really wanted the Dutch version. I got lucky and won it in a contest! I only changed the boxes, and kept everything from the Dutch version unpunched in the German box. Except for the Wheel tile.

Then, a year ago or so I caved and bought the Big Box, for the River 3 tiles, watermarked Sheep tile and text-free Wheel tile.

I need help... >:D

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 05:58:19 AM »
...and just wrote little numbers with black marker on my basic set tiles.

What else would a guy named "MrNumbers" do, I ask you?   :(y)

I own just the RGG English stand-alone WoF and that is enough for me.

Although I would be interested to know if there have been any unique WoF tiles released in any of the versions. ???
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:00:55 AM by Carcking »
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 06:01:03 AM »
...and just wrote little numbers with black marker on my basic set tiles.

What else would a guy named "MrNumbers" do, I ask you?   :(y)

Good point. I just wrote "30" on all of my tiles which hasn't helped at all... ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTS English Writings Wheel of Fortune board + 19 fortune tiles expansion

Started by DavidY

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 10:34:27 PM
by asparagus
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
Wheel of Fortune and religious figures query

Started by Allograft

22 Replies
Last post March 31, 2021, 05:13:17 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Wheel of Fortune: Tips for Tactics & Best Expansions to Use?

Started by kothmann

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2022, 02:33:26 PM
by kothmann
xx
Doubt about Wheel of Fortune Pestilence event...

Started by carca82

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2022, 09:31:58 AM
by Meepledrone