Author Topic: Things I love about Carcassonne  (Read 11457 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Things I love about Carcassonne
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:59:24 AM »
I was thinking recently about what it is that I enjoy so much about playing Carcassonne in particular. I came up with five things which I've listed below and would be keen to hear from anyone else who has anything else that they feel is missing from the list or if you particularly agree with any one of these:

1) The balance of luck, lateral thinking and experience means that players who are entirely new to the game can hold their own against those who have been playing Carcassonne for years. I've played far more than my wife has, but we still have some very close games as she's very tactically-minded and is excellent at planning ahead.

2) The variety of expansions available means that games can be customised to suit different playing styles or types of game as required. Family-friendly games might include Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders whereas more competitive/ aggressive gamers may prefer the likes of The Princess and The Dragon or The Tower. Either way, adding or removing certain expansions means that whilst the basic concept remains the same, the game itself never gets boring (although it certainly can get quite complicated!)

3) It's not over until it's over! Even after the final tile has been placed, incomplete features, farms and end-game bonuses such as trade tokens can really turn things around. So it pays to keep one eye on what's going to be worth what in the final scoring regardless of how far you may be lagging behind whoever's currently in the lead.

4) One of the things I find so addictive about playing Carcassonne is the rush I get when I draw a tile that I really need! This will usually be required for completing a large city or merging two farms to give myself the most farmers on the resulting mega-farm. But regardless of how I'm able to use the tile I've just drawn, it's often more than I can manage to prevent a large smile from creeping across my face while my opponent decides where to place his tile.

5) I'm probably just weird for saying this, but I think Carcassonne is actually very beautiful and I love the way the landscape develops before you as the game is played. The combination of roads, cities, fields and cloisters is different every time and when combined with features such as rivers, towers, bridges and castles I almost always want to take a photo at the end of the game (but am not quite so bad as to print them out and put them up on the walls).

All the best,
Dan

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=468.0

Offline Lotas

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Things I love about Carcassonne
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:51:44 AM »
My wife takes pics of the games when we play.  There is something tapestry-esque about a Carc expanse, you're very right.

Very nice article, thanks for sharing.

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
Great points...and I'd agree

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »
I like the fact that you can win with different strategies and that you don't have to employ all of them (e.g. Agricola). Further to your point #3, the fact that someone can go from last place to first place is significant. It's also one of the few games that I find enjoyable regardless of whether I win or not.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »
I agree with all of your points dan. And I would add that it is a very easy game to introduce to people who've never played before, or ever played any Euro-style games before. New players take to it very quickly and get hooked. Like you say, because of the mix of expansions, varying strategies, luck of the draw and scoring swings just about anyone can be competitive...and will become hungry for more.

I was just thinking that it's been a few weeks now since we've played and I'm feeling hungry for a good game now.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:23:26 AM »
 :meeple:

It certainly is a fascinating game.
  One of the few if not the only game I can loose and still feel great about it. To me, it's not always about winning but challenging myself to complete certain features like a grand city.
  A strategy that often works with the people I play with, is finding an equilibrium with the main scoring (and sometimes the field as well) and then win by counting all my resources acquired such as cloth, barrels, crops, gold bars etc.

/Yellow
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Nebus

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • Lost in the CarcaZone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 08:02:50 AM »
I love your post Dan and totally agree with all of your points...

As a kid I always loved doing jigsaw puzzles and I feel my love for Carcassonne is related. Carcassonne is really a jigsaw puzzle with extra pieces and points  :))

:black-meeple:

Offline BenTF

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »
Things I love about Carcassonne. The Phantoms.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Things to get Excited About at Essen2015

Started by Decar

17 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 11:36:40 AM
by Decar
xx
Any last things need doing before opening doors to all members?

Started by gantry

68 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 12:49:42 PM
by Scott
lamp
[WTT] various things for Cult,Siege & Creativity (DONE 17.03.17)

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2017, 10:05:29 AM
by Decar
xx
Do things go back in stock at Cundco?

Started by TheDoctor_13

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 05:45:12 AM
by Decar
xx
4 new maps... and other things!