Author Topic: Joining Fields  (Read 16540 times)

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • I enjoy a good game o' Carc!
    • View Profile
Re: Joining Fields
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
Also respectfully, I think we are making too much of this issue. :-)

The consensus for the format of the strategy guide was generally agreed upon to be a collection of articles rather than a single (consistently-styled) uber-doc.

Some people might prefer classic Carc tiles, some might like the CII tiles, and others might use JCZ or iOS screenshots they captured of instructional/interesting situations. Some people might only have one or the other. (I chose CII tiles not because I prefer the art, but because there is more contrast between the features and I thought that'd make for clearer photos.) Also, some articles might require some screenshots using classic Carc and others using CII because of the expansions discussed (say both P&D and the Abbot)

For these reasons I'd suggest that we don't mandate the use of any particular style of visual aid. While the design is different, it really boils down to some minor visual differences. I don't think even new gamers will have trouble recognizing cities, roads, cloisters, and fields on either set.

If a writer's screenshots are unclear or incorrect we should provide feedback on those issues, but IMHO I don't think variety in the photos between or within articles qualifies as a negative inconsistency.

Maybe we could provide some best practices for taking photos in terms of what type of background works well or the best angle to take pics from? We could also recommend when it matters if you use CI or CII tiles.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:03:01 AM »
Putting aside personal taste for the art, Carc 0.2 is no more than a spin-off at this time. It would be analogous to using the New World tiles to show the examples...or Ark of the Convenant...or someone's homemade sketch. Since this is a collaboration I think it will be difficult to dictate what resources several contributors must have available to them. It may likely be the case that new members only own Carc 0.2.

I don't think it's an option to assign someone to monitor what is used for every example and replace pictures as necessary. Not practical.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 04:45:14 AM »
I myself would have preferred, if they would have stick to the old artwork, as well. Although I am a new player, I obtained a BB4 last autumn, just a few weeks before HiG announced the new design and I certainly will not replace it with the new version.
Most of us here don't like the new artwork, and to put all our strategy guide photos in the old artwork sends a small message to HiG that this is what Carcassonne is to us.
I know, and I think that is not really an issue. I only addressed danis remark "Keeping things consistent (and Carc 1) is probably a good idea" and mentioned, that if this is the goal for the future, then people, who have multiple options, should probably give favor to the new artwork. Because if you want to go for consistent you will have to replace it sooner or later. But I agree with CarcinFool, that considering background and angle would be more important than that.
Putting aside personal taste for the art, Carc 0.2 is no more than a spin-off at this time.
Of course, there is a slight chance, that HiG bins the new version, but I think it is not very likely. They introduced it as revision, they thought would have been necessary after 15 years . (Which everybody is free to disagree, but I don't think they will care about that.) And somebody mentioned, that they discontinued the contract with Doris Matthäus.
I don't think it's an option to assign someone to monitor what is used for every example and replace pictures as necessary. Not practical.
I don't think, that this would be practical either. Consistence of design (if that is a goal) should only be applied where this is easy obtainable. If somebody wants to go for replacement of the pictures, he or she should go for it. But only in one direction, everybody agrees to, not that there will be started an edit war, because somebody wants the old, somebody else the new artwork.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:03:41 AM by Hounk, Reason: adding reply to Carcking »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 05:40:05 AM »
If any of my comments regarding consistency have caused any confusion then I apologise. Although it wasn't clear, I was talking about consistency within my own article (I used a screenshot from the Android app as well as some Carc 2.0 photos) rather than consistency throughout the entire Strategy Guide.

Trying to establish any kind of "standard" that all screenshots/ photos should adhere to it unnecessary and pointless in my opinion. As long as a photo/ screenshot helps to explain the point in question then it really doesn't matter what version of artwork is used or whether it's real/ digital.

All of my future articles will use the original Carc artwork in picture examples. I don't expect everyone else to do the same, but by all means feel free to if you prefer.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 06:17:59 AM »
Ah, OK, sorry. And please back to the topic.

However in your case, mentioning the "awful AI opponent that deserved to have this done to it" gives a context, which makes sense to having it inconsistent. (And adds a little humor to the text, which is nice.)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 02:42:15 AM »
Conversely, if you are concerned about your opponent joining fields you can block him. You don’t always need to create a space where no tile will fit, you can also block field-joining by forcing a 3-way road tile (preventing a loop) or placing a city edge adjacent to another city edge.

Just wanted to add, that 3-sided road will not 100% pevent fields from joining - there is RRRR tile in I&C, that still can join fields in this situation.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • I enjoy a good game o' Carc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
Thx MrNumbers -- I did mention that I&C tile in my last paragraph (I referred to it as the 4-way double-curve road), but I will mention that in the discussion about field blocking as well. Good suggestion!

Offline pa3k

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 07:13:20 AM »
Hey, I saw an add for this T-shirt, and it reminded me of this thread :D

http://bit.ly/1Gxk5iQ

I disagree with the slogan thou, taking fields blocks your settlers forever. How do you guys play it?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Hey, I saw an add for this T-shirt, and it reminded me of this thread :D

http://bit.ly/1Gxk5iQ

I disagree with the slogan thou, taking fields blocks your settlers forever. How do you guys play it?

Hi pa3k. Welcome to the forums!  :)

Simply placing a farmer and expecting everyone else to generate points for you is probably a little bit optimistic (especially if you expect them to generate a winning score for you in doing so), but I guess any detailed analysis of this as genuine tactical advice would undermine the humorous sentiment of the t-shirt!

My personal preference depends on lots of things:

- number of players
- size/ value of field as it is
- potential for growth
- number of meeples available to me after placing my farmer
- number of meeples available to my opponent
- opportunities for getting more farmers into the same farm
- expansions in use (barns especially, but also proximity to towers and/ or the dragon if either of these are in play)
- number of tiles left to be played

Good question though!  :(y)

Offline M1zz

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »
Introduction

Joining fields is a big part of Carcassonne strategy. A single field is often worth a big 9 or 12 points in the base game. If you are playing with expansions that means more tiles, more cities, and possibly field-related bonuses from the pig, pig herd, Cathars, etc. In games with expansions one or more fields can easily be worth upwards of 20 or 30 points. And don't forget those smaller fields -- those are important as well. At the end of a game placing your last meeples on a few small 6-point fields can make all the difference between who wins.

But just as roads and cities can be joined to increase your score or decrease your opponent's, so too can fields be joined with similar results. This article is all about the why and how of joining fields.

Why would I want to join fields?

In your quest to have your farmers supply the most cities (and keep your opponent from supplying very many), there are several scenarios in which you might want to join two or more fields. You might want to...
  • Join a field you own to a field your opponent owns (if his has more cities).
  • Join two fields that you own to increase the likelihood that you’ll score all the cities on each individual field since you’ll have multiple meeples on the joined field.
  • Join two of your opponent’s fields to prevent him from scoring field points twice for any cities that border both fields (See "Being Kind to be Cruel" for an example).
  • Pre-emptively join your field to an adjacent unclaimed field to prevent your opponent from using it to steal your field.
  • Spoil your opponent’s attempt to join a field she owns by setting up your own join that necessarily occurs when your opponent joins his field (include photo)
How can I join fields?

The most common or obvious ways to join fields include connecting fields around the corner of a city and using a cloister with a road to join fields on opposite sides of an existing road.

Using a FFxx tile joining two fields (left) and a cloister with road to join fields on opposite sides of an existing road (right)

But you can also join fields by looping roads, with cleverly placed road curves, or with any tile that has a field that connects opposite sides of the tile. This can take a little practice to spot, but once you see a few examples you’ll be able to identify more opportunities to join fields when you need to.

Joining using a road loop (left) and a tile CFCF with a crosswise field (right)

[add photo of curves like CFRR, CRRF tiles]

Tiles with fields on opposite edges can be used to build multi-tile field “bridges" to connect two separate areas of the board. This situation is less common, but you can sometimes mount a sneak attack by stretching a field over several tiles to join with another field.

[photo of FFFF + FCFC connecting fields on two separate areas of the board]

How can I block my opponent from joining fields that I want to keep separate?

Conversely, if you are concerned about your opponent joining fields you can block him. You don’t always need to create a space where no tile will fit, you can also block field-joining by forcing a 3-way road tile (preventing a loop) or placing a city edge adjacent to another city edge.

Forcing a 3-way road tile to prevent joining with a road elbow (left) and closing off a field with a city (right).

Sometimes blocking your opponent may take two moves, but if the cost would be losing a valuable/critical field (say one worth 30+ points!) it is often worth putting your other projects on hold to focus on blocking your opponent’s field-joining attempt.

How should I choose a spot to join fields so my opponent is less likely to block me?

Try to join fields where your opponent can't place a single tile to restrict or block your attempt. Compare the two situations below. The first attempt can be foiled easily with any tile that has a road while the second cannot. Of course your opponent can place a tile that would allow them to block you on their next turn. If they do, try to ensure your joining attempt can be successful. If you get a helpful tile place it to force the most common tile remaining into the spot where you are joining fields.

[photo of easily blocked field join]
[photo of better field join attempt]

Other related strategies

Another helpful strategy in the early game is to choose where you build your projects to protect any fields you’ve captured early in the game. The opposite also holds true as you can weigh your options for tile placements to help attack a field your opponent has already captured; just make sure the field is worth it.

As the game winds down, be aware of the pieces that are remaining that can help or prevent you from joining. Are there any cloisters with roads left? What about FFxx tiles like FFRR or FFCC? Are there any 3- or 4-way roads that can prevent a looping join? Don’t forget the 4-way double curve road.  Also use your knowledge of the remaining tiles to your advantage to block or minimize the chances that your opponent can join fields where it’s advantageous to him. This is pretty apparent when playing on iOS with the option to have the remaining tiles visible, but is much harder in a live game or where this option is disabled.

Hello! Why i cant see images?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Old Joining Fields Images

Started by PapaGeek

3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2021, 09:02:33 AM
by Meepledrone
clip
Fields separation in The Bets

Started by NGC 54

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2023, 06:36:11 AM