Poll

Which versions of the Heretics and Shrines do you own or want to own?

I own all three versions.
19 (30.2%)
I own one or two versions, but I think you need all three for a complete collection.
6 (9.5%)
I own one 5-tile version and one 6-tile version, and I think that's enough for my complete collection.
14 (22.2%)
I own one version, and I think that's enough for my collection.
22 (34.9%)
I don't own any versions of this expansion.
1 (1.6%)
Other (please explain below).
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #4: Heretics and Shrines (Cult)  (Read 11323 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Completionism Poll #4: Heretics and Shrines (Cult)
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 03:30:13 AM »
I place myself in a strange category because I started collecting Carcassonne stuff with the very first item that ever had watermarks: the Big Box. Thus, when I got GQ11 and the small box expansions (as well as The River which was included in my box!), I was annoyed and baffled that they didn't have watermarks. It just made sense to me that the tiles would be marked in some way. At the time, I added green dots onto the fields of all the GQ11 tiles as de facto watermarks, although that was never really satisfying. Cult, Siege & Creativity bugged me a lot since it was a new expansion that still didn't have watermarks. As soon as Count, King & Cult came out, I replaced my entire set of all three of the old expansions and gave the old ones to my brother-in-law, who didn't much care about the watermarks. Still, a bunch of the odd stuff didn't include them including The River, The Cathars, GQ11, CS&C, and, even much later, The School, The Windroses, and The Festival. Obviously most of these don't need the watermarks to be functional, but I really don't see any reason why they shouldn't include them anyway. The School I understand – it's just like The Count in that it is a large start tile. Likewise, The Festival was intended as an exclusive expansion, although thankfully it was later released on better quality stock, but I never like using features as watermarks. But The Windroses? Really? My biggest annoyance is the Darmstadt expansion which decided to put massive blue watermarks rather than the normal semi-opaque black ones. Why did they do this? So annoying! I haven't yet decided whether to just replace my River I with my new River III, but it is definitely something I'm considering. I just don't see any need for the old version anymore. My new one has watermarks. That's the first major sign that it is the definitive version. The only real exception is the CS&C Cult over CK&C or Spielbox Cult because of the extra tile.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 03:34:00 AM »
I'm mostly about tile configurations, but I will admit a certain fondness for watermarks, partly for the ease of sorting, but I still like them on tiles which are easily sorted anyway. I bought a new copy of Inns and Cathedrals several years ago because my previous copy didn't have watermarks. I later did the same with the King landscape tiles, because those were a pain to sort without watermarks. That also got me the King and Robber Baron tiles with the crown watermark, but I DON'T use those, I use my original ones from King and Scout because those aren't landscape tiles so have no need for a watermark! I realise this is highly contradictory. The mis-printed hill tile from Hills and Sheep was a thorn in my side until I got the Big Box 5 (ha-zah!) because even though it was easily sorted (because it has a hill) it bothered me because it didn't match the other hill and sheep tiles! I have cult tiles with crown watermarks, no watermarks and now Spielbox watermarks too, despite saying earlier that they were the same and it didn't matter to me. Humph. My River tiles, I and II, had no watermarks but different backs (why??!!) so they could be sorted with some ease, and the watermarks were consistent in that they both had none. Fine. However, now I have the River III, which is watermarked! So should I get the River II with the crown watermark? But that makes no sense because it's a river and the watermarks wouldn't match the others! BAH!

I don't really know where I stand on watermarks. I tell myself they're just for sorting then get annoyed when they're wrong.

That's not true. I know where I stand, I'm just not happy about it.

Which makes the Games Quarterly expansion my white whale.

Great response! I can just picture you arguing with yourself as you were writing it :)

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 04:47:51 AM »
I place myself in a strange category because I started collecting Carcassonne stuff with the very first item that ever had watermarks: the Big Box. Thus, when I got GQ11 and the small box expansions (as well as The River which was included in my box!), I was annoyed and baffled that they didn't have watermarks. It just made sense to me that the tiles would be marked in some way. At the time, I added green dots onto the fields of all the GQ11 tiles as de facto watermarks, although that was never really satisfying.

My first item was the base game, years ago when I was younger and not quite as... let's say 'fastidious' as I am now, so when I got some expansions with watermarks, it didn't bother me at all. I didn't even sort my tiles initially, my first few expansions all sat in a big pile with my base game in the box. It was only when I started getting serious about collecting that the watermarks became important.

I'm mostly about tile configurations, but I will admit a certain fondness for watermarks, partly for the ease of sorting, but I still like them on tiles which are easily sorted anyway. I bought a new copy of Inns and Cathedrals several years ago because my previous copy didn't have watermarks. I later did the same with the King landscape tiles, because those were a pain to sort without watermarks. That also got me the King and Robber Baron tiles with the crown watermark, but I DON'T use those, I use my original ones from King and Scout because those aren't landscape tiles so have no need for a watermark! I realise this is highly contradictory. The mis-printed hill tile from Hills and Sheep was a thorn in my side until I got the Big Box 5 (ha-zah!) because even though it was easily sorted (because it has a hill) it bothered me because it didn't match the other hill and sheep tiles! I have cult tiles with crown watermarks, no watermarks and now Spielbox watermarks too, despite saying earlier that they were the same and it didn't matter to me. Humph. My River tiles, I and II, had no watermarks but different backs (why??!!) so they could be sorted with some ease, and the watermarks were consistent in that they both had none. Fine. However, now I have the River III, which is watermarked! So should I get the River II with the crown watermark? But that makes no sense because it's a river and the watermarks wouldn't match the others! BAH!

I don't really know where I stand on watermarks. I tell myself they're just for sorting then get annoyed when they're wrong.

That's not true. I know where I stand, I'm just not happy about it.

Which makes the Games Quarterly expansion my white whale.

Great response! I can just picture you arguing with yourself as you were writing it :)

Yes. So much arguing. I even edited the post several times before I was happy with it. Darn watermarks have got my number.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 06:33:51 AM »
My biggest annoyance is the Darmstadt expansion which decided to put massive blue watermarks rather than the normal semi-opaque black ones. Why did they do this? So annoying!

The watermark is the least of Darmstadt's problems.  >:D

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »
Darmstadt should be in a separate completionist thread :p

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 02:31:19 AM »
After one week of voting, this is the most even poll we have had in this series. The uber-completionists have a slight 'parliamentary majority', with 11 out of 26 people saying they own all three (9) or want to own all three (2). But 7 people said two versions are enough for their collection, while 7 more said that one version is enough.

This poll/thread will stay open and any future discussion of the Heretics and Shrines in terms of ownership/completionism is welcome in this thread, while for discussion of this expansion in terms of gameplay, head over to The Cult - Element of the Week #10.

Edit: edited to clarify or possibly to confuse even more.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:39:14 AM by jungleboy »

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 03:35:44 AM »
Ah, using the UK political definition of "majority" to mean "more votes than any other option but not necessarily more than half" - you mean plurality :) (Thanks BBC Radio 4 More or Less) :)
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline gabrielgeek

• Freeman
  • Merit: 6
  • I'm a monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 07:48:55 AM »
I voted "I own 1 version" since I have Expansion 6, but then I remembered I also have the Spielbox version somewhere (I must have given it as a present to some friend of mine). Anyway, I would like to get the Cult, Siege and Creativity set, just so that I can say my collection is really complete, but I won't go crazy if I can find it.  ^-^

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »
I own all three versions, but I consider there to be only two different expansions (the 5 tile version and the 6 tile version). When I play Mega Carcassonne games with my intepretation of "all" of the tiles I do not use the ones from Spielbox.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 10:04:24 AM »
This is a nice picture which compares the printing of the Cult tiles for each printing.

Cult Siege and Creative
Spielbox
Expansion 6. The Count, King and Robber

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Abbots, Monks, Heretics, Bishops and... Abbots.

Started by Christopher

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2016, 09:48:18 AM
by Christopher
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
Cloisters and Shrines