Author Topic: ZMG vs RGG Rule Booklets  (Read 24691 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: ZMG vs RGG Rule Booklets
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »
I disagree. If the translation by Z-Man and/or Rio Grande doesn't adequately translate the word from German, or if there is a tie between versions, I think going back to the original German translation is a good option. I mean, for Kultstätten, Matt translated it as "shrine" even though Rio Grande chose "cult place". In the end, the actual translation was "place of worship". Oddly, Hans im Glück then went and called the expansion Graf, Konig und Konsorten, which means, in English, "consorts", a term that has nothing to do with the expansion.

5.0 Kultstätte - shrine (CAR 6.2 page75+Spielbox HiG-Almanach) / cult place (RGG+CAR 6.2 page79)

If you like, then you can write the correct English word  - place of worship (English translation)

Graf, Konig und Konsorten - with the word "Konsorten" - we German know that there are more expansions.
I think that has something to do with the strategy of selling. The name would be to long if they wrote all the expansions as a name for an expansion.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
The bigger issue with Graf, Konig und Konsorten, though, was that there was no included "Consorts" expansion. Instead, it was just River II and Cults (HiG edition). When Rio Grande translated the expansion for Big Box 2, it translated as Count, King and Cults, to recognize one of the skipped expansions. But there still was nothing "consort" about the expansion and the term doesn't appear anywhere in the rules test outside the title.

But no, I don't want to call it "place of worship", I just feel that it doesn't hurt to put in the actual translation of the term when listing translations.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
Konsorten can be members of a syndicate, but mostly in German "Konsorten" means and some more of that kind or of that sort. This term is most often used to devalue a group of people. E.g.: "Deutschland im Sturzflug: Was Politiker und Konsorten mit aller Macht zu verheimlichen suchen" is a book-title, it translates: Germany is plummeting/ Germany in a nosedive: What politicians and their likes try to hide with all their might".

So I think "Graf, König und Konsorten" is for Count of Carcassonne (expansion), The King and Robber-Baron (expansion) and another small expansion. So there's no other member of a consortium.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
The English word "consorts" has a similar meaning as the German word "konsorten", but in English it is not the most popular meaning, which is why an English-speaking person would expect to find an expansion called "Consorts". The example that Fritz gives in the above post is a good example of how the meaning of "konsorten" would be translated into English. In the case of "Count, King, and Consorts", a more natural way of expressing this in English might be "Count, King, et al." which is actually from the Latin "et alli" - literally "and others".

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 12:33:35 AM »
Interesting. That definition definitely doesn't come up in my translation dictionary. So "Konsorten" could probably be best translated into English as "consortium", using a loose definition that basically means "a collection of other stuff." Fun! So the Spielbox expansion we all are hoping will someday be released should really be called "Tunnels, Plague & More".

Offline CarcAddict

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
At least Polish edition by Mindok fixed this issue :). They traslated it into:

"Count, King and River".

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
Here this is interesting - RGG doesn't know what could be the best translation:

1.2 Wappen - pennant (CAR+RGG) / banner (ZMG+RGG-mini2+5)
4.0 Kloster - cloister (CAR+RGG,RGG-mini2) / monastery (ZMG+RGG-mini1,4)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:51:45 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
I find this whole "wappen" thing interesting. The actual correct translation is "coat of arms", but if I could pick any word to describe it I would have used "shield" instead of "banner" or "pennant" because a heraldic banner is rectangular and a pennant is triangular.

"Monastery" is the correct translation of "kloster". Here's what cloister actually means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloister. The group that I used to play with always referred to cloisters as "klooster", which oddly enough is the Dutch equivalent of "kloster". Turns out we were calling it the right thing all along.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Rules from the BigBoxes:

1.0 Landschaftskarte ziehen und anlegen - draw and place landscape tile (RGG) / place tiles and special pieces (ZMG)
2.0 Holz bewegen - "move" wood (RGG) / place player pawns (ZMG)

ZMG doesn't use the "move wood" - that is a shame...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:53:28 PM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 06:10:37 AM »
The next one:

2.0 Fluggerät - flying machine (ZMG) / aircraft symbol (CAR) / wing (RGG)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »
Some new words - English translation

3.2 Turmteil - tower part (RGG) / tower piece (CAR+RGG) / tower floor - floor (ZMG)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
RGG "Princess" rule change a case of wrong trsl. or established for "retheming"

Started by Hounk

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 01:30:40 AM
by Hounk
xx
The Tower - Rule book from ZMG has not included the update from BigBox1

Started by kettlefish

2 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 07:05:25 AM