Author Topic: Carcassonne: The Dice Game  (Read 16596 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Carcassonne: The Dice Game
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:07 AM »
Hi all,

Has anyone here played Carcassonne the Dice Game? I got it for my birthday two days ago and it seems like a great little game, but obviously I want to play it properly and am somewhat confused by what seems like a contradiction in the rules...

(Page 2) "If he rolls 1 or more catapults the player passes those dice immediately to the player to his left (he may not re-roll the catapults nor score points for this roll)."

This makes sense. If you roll a catapult you've basically lost that dice as you have to pass it on to the next player. That's fine. However, this also says that if you roll at least one catapult you can't score points for that roll."

(Page 5) "Second roll: the player immediately passes this second catapult to his left neighbor. With 2 city segment dice, he adds to his city. The player cannot use the knight and chooses to end his turn and score the largest city he built."

Despite rolling a catapult, the player is able to score this roll. To me, this doesn't seem to be in keeping with the rule on page 2.

Any ideas?

(rules can be found here: http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=566‎)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=296.0

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne: The Dice Game
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:15:35 AM »
I will compare the English rules with the German rules.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »
German rules:

Gewürfelte Katapulte gibt der Spieler
sofort an den Spieler links von ihm
weiter. (Sie können weder nochmals
gewürfelt werden, noch können sie
Punkte bringen.)

Only the dice with catapult you give to the next player cannot be rerolled nor can they score.

In the English rules it should be: ... nor score points for these dice. Bad translation.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:20:34 AM »
Thanks Fritz_Spinne,

I was thinking that the translation has some mistakes...

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:21:20 AM »
If there's more mistakes, I recommend doing our own translation.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:22:24 AM »
Why are the publisher don't ask us for a good translation?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 06:23:15 AM »
So the example on Page 5 is correct? This seems to make more sense as if you’re unfortunate enough to get a catapult on each of your three rolls you wouldn’t be able to score any points even if you managed to build a small city with the other dice.

For what it’s worth, the rules are only very short and the rest of them seemed to make sense. After all, if they’re good enough for me to understand then they can’t be too complicated!

Thanks so much guys. I’m very grateful for your quick responses!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:26:33 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »
Why are the publisher don't ask us for a good translation?

In the case of Rio Grande, we didn't have much of a relationship with them.

In the case of Z-Man, I offered our services when they got the publishing contract, but I think they already have translators. Has anybody checked the expansion rules to see how good they are?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 06:28:54 AM »
In my case - not yet.

But I think during this day we will look to the complete rule for the dice game.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
I looked in both rules German and English.
With the clarification from Fritz_Spinne, I think there is no more mistakes in the translation of the rules for the Dice Game of Carcassonne.

The Scoring (page 6):
Important is follows:
Only the biggest city scores points.
If you have finished two cities - than only the biggest city gets points.
If you haven't finished any city - than you get no points.

Page 5  - example 2 - with the second roll:
The player finished his large city. So he don't need a third roll with one die.
The player scores this large city with 6 dice and scores 10 points
(example for scoring - page 7).

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
Thanks for clearing this up for me everyone!

Now that I've had a chance to play it, the only house rule that seemed to become obvious quite early on was that since the winner is the first person to score 42 (or reach some pre-determined target score) whoever goes first has a slight advantage over the other players.

To make things fairer we played that the game carries on when a player reaches the target score so that all other players up to and excluding the player who went first can have one more turn in order to ensure that all players have had the same number of turns at the end of the game. Everyone then totalled up their scores and the player with the highest score won (it wasn't always the player who was the first to reach 42).

Obviously this isn't official at all, but I just thought I'd suggest it in case this thread has encouraged anyone else to try playing it!

Thanks again,
Dan

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 06:18:22 AM »
(Page 2) "If he rolls 1 or more catapults the player passes those dice immediately to the player to his left (he may not re-roll the catapults nor score points for this roll)."

I'm chiming in a little late here but here are my thoughts. Good question on this.

This sentence actually does make sense and does not contradict the statement on page 5 - however the use of the word roll is not a good choice in this instance. The author is intending to use the word roll to refer to that particular catapult (or catapults), but the confusing issue is the word can also be taken generically and can be mistakenly applied to all the dice of that roll (cities, knights and catapults) causing the reader to think the entire roll is not scored. It's easy to see I think that there is a translation issue, but as is so common in English many words have multiple definitions and applications.  :)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 07:59:06 AM »
So at the very least a misleading translation.

Our house rule: You can score for more than one city.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
I would be very happy to write some sort of rules guidance/ clarification specifically for Carcassonne: The Dice Game. Perhaps this isn’t necessary as it’s such a simple game but if it could be of use/ interest to anyone then I’d be happy to put something together that could be used as a base document if anyone wanted to expand upon it (assuming nothing like this exists already)?

Just an idea anyway.

Dan.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 11:02:31 PM »
Here's my attempt at translation. I notice another difference: in the HiG rules, the youngest player starts. In the RGG rules, the players decide among themselves who will start.

I've kept the German punctuation intact. My personal inclination would be to combine a few sentences, or in some places use semi-colons.

Carcassonne Dice Game
A game for 2-5 Dice Rollers

Contents
9 Carcassonne dice all with 6 sides:
- 4x City
- 1x Knight
- 1x Catapult
1 pad
1 pencil

1. Objective
In the Carcassonne dice game players try to roll the dice and cleverly build cities as valuable as possible.

2. Gameplay
Players take turns rolling the dice. The youngest player starts, taking all 9 dice. On his turn, the player rolls up to 3 times and, after scoring, passes the dice to the next player. The player makes his first dice roll with caution. Catapults are immediately passed to the player on the left. (They cannot be re-rolled, nor are they worth points.) Knights and cities may be kept or rolled again. Cities which are set aside must be built immediately. Once built, they may not be rolled again. Knights which have been set aside may not be rolled again.

If a player collects 3 or more knights, he can score nothing during this turn and score double on his next turn. He keeps one knight and gives all the other dice to the player on his left. On his next turn the player adds the knight back to the rest of the dice. A player may only keep a knight in front of him.

End of the turn. The player has collected three knights. He keeps one of them and passes on all the other dice. He gets no points for the completed city.

3. Build Cities
The player rolling the dice tries to build the largest city possible. When scoring, he counts the number of dice with which the largest city was built.

Please note:
- The black segments on the dice are the parts of the city.
- Black segments must be placed next to black segments, and white segments next to white segments.
- Once built, dice may not be moved or re-rolled.

First roll: The player immediately passes the catapult to his left. With four dice, the player starts to build a city. He rolls the 2 knights and 2 cities hoping to enlarge his city.

Second roll: The player immediately passes the second catapult to his left. The player adds the 2 city segments to his city. This time the knight cannot be used. The player ends his turn and scores the largest city.

4. Score
If a player has rolled 3 times, or he does not want to roll again, he scores his turn.

Please note:
- Only the dice of the largest completed city are counted (if the player has no completed city, he scores no points).
- If the player had a knight at the start of his turn, he receives double points.
- The points are written on the score pad.
- The points are awarded as follows:

3 dice = 1 point
4 dice = 3 points
5 dice = 6 points
6 dice = 10 points
7 dice = 15 points
8 dice = 21 points
9 dice = 28 points

The player scores the largest city consisting of 6 dice and receives 10 points.

6. End of the Game
Once a player has reached at least 42 points, the games ends immediately and this player is the winner.

Special case: if a player rolls 9 catapults on his turn, he wins immediately, regardless of the score so far.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:07:43 PM by Scott »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
smiley
[WTT] Carcassonne almost everything for Carcassonne dice game shopdisplay

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2023, 08:40:34 AM
by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)
xx
BUY : Carcassonne : The Dice game

Started by smoula

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2019, 01:06:19 AM