Author Topic: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?  (Read 134229 times)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
It reminds me of the Gingerbread Man.  Could it just be a straight up conversion?
Flee the fleas.

Gerry

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2014, 07:40:51 PM »
It reminds me of the Gingerbread Man.  Could it just be a straight up conversion?

You mean religious conversion? 

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »
I wouldn't mind a straight crossover conversion, assuming the figures are available for purchase separately.

What are the rules for the gingerbread man again? I haven't played it yet.

As a sidenote, it is interesting that Hans im Glück has been getting really into the religious expansions lately. First The Monasteries and now this. I mean, Cloisters, Cathedrals, Cathars (technically Spielbox), Cult Places, Abbeys, and now Monasteries and Abbots. Very strange. I hope it foretells of a pilgrimage expansion. Languedoc has many important pilgrimage sites.

Gerry

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2014, 09:50:17 PM »
Having just read  whaleyland's The Barbarian Report: Attack of the Monasteries (Monasteries in Germany Review) and also New Game Round-up: Monasteries for Carcassonne on Board Game Geek I am guessing that it is the same base game except the priory tiles are replaced by the monastery tiles with an Abbot meeple to save you the effort of placing a regular meeple on its side.

Small beer

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2014, 10:13:29 PM »
What are the rules for the gingerbread man again? I haven't played it yet.

If a player draws a landscape tile with the gingerbread man
symbol, he or she places the tile using the normal rules and performs a normal turn. He or
she then takes the Gingerbread Man and puts it into another unfinished city.
Gingerbread Man scoring
1) When the Gingerbread Man leaves a city (by placement of another gingerbread man
tile), all players who have one or more knights in this city will receive points. For each of
his or her knights in this city, each player receives 1 point per tile that is a part of the city
at this moment. Pennants score no points. The knights remain in this city.
2) If a player completes a city with the Gingerbread Man, here is what happens: Before
the normal scoring is performed, all players who have one or more knights in this city will
receive points. For each of his or her knights in this city, each player receives 1 point per
tile that is a part of the city. After that, the player who completed the city places the
Gingerbread Man into an unfinished city of his or her choice.
Special case: If there is no other unfinished city when the Gingerbread Man must be
moved, it stays in the city in which it is located. If this city is completed, it is placed next
to the game board and can be brought back into the game by playing a tile with the
gingerbread man icon.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »
So, what do we know here? Is it the German monastery tiles with one new abbot follower per colour? If so, I like it more than the previous version of the German monasteries. I never liked putting the meeple on the side, and I also found that the points to be gained from the German monasteries (when played with an abbot) were so great that we would play abbots on all monasteries, and usually score 20+ points from each. If you can now only play one abbot, that makes it more interesting in my opinion. Plus extra wood is always good  :green-meeple:

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »
Thank you Gerry and MrNumbers. After reflection, I must assume that Gerry is right in this case. It seems that each player gets an Abbot which suggests that they are placed, instead of a normal Follower, on monasteries. I further bet that the German Monasteries are not even included in this expansion and that the Abbot takes on the powers that the German Monasteries previously provided, namely acting as a secondary scoring mechanism for cloisters. That would make sense. The Abbots as they current are used (with German Monasteries) are powerful since a single player could claim multiple German Monasteries. If normal cloisters are used with Abbots being used to claim them, then each player can only have, at most, one Abbot. And since they stay on the board until the end of the game, players would never have more than one cloister scored in the manner of a German Monastery. The fact that the box doesn't mention the new monastery tiles reinforces this belief.

Jungleboy seems to agree with this and I don't think they would use the word "abbot" for both the German Monastery's follower and a gingerbread-style follower.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2014, 05:18:19 AM »
I've got some more information - short call with HiG:

The Carcassonne (New Edition) has the same back side of the landscape tiles like the well known Carcassonne.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2014, 05:32:49 AM »
Questions:
Is Doris Matthaus still the artist?
Are the new tiles completely compatible with the old?
Are there any major rules changes?
Is The River the new version with sheep and vineyards or the original?
Does each player get an Abbot figure?
Are The Abbots the same as Followers lain flat atop a German Monastery?
What does this revised version mean for Carcassonne's expansions?

Gerry

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2014, 05:45:37 AM »
The Abbots as they current are used (with German Monasteries) are powerful since a single player could claim multiple German Monasteries. If normal cloisters are used with Abbots being used to claim them, then each player can only have, at most, one Abbot. And since they stay on the board until the end of the game, players would never have more than one cloister scored in the manner of a German Monastery.

From what I have read from players who have used the abbot, even one abbot can score too many points especially for placing a single follower on a single feature

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2014, 07:17:11 AM »
The Abbots as they current are used (with German Monasteries) are powerful since a single player could claim multiple German Monasteries. If normal cloisters are used with Abbots being used to claim them, then each player can only have, at most, one Abbot. And since they stay on the board until the end of the game, players would never have more than one cloister scored in the manner of a German Monastery.

From what I have read from players who have used the abbot, even one abbot can score too many points especially for placing a single follower on a single feature

The phrase "too many" is relative too. It depends on how many tiles you're playing with and what all the other scoring potential is. But, yes, in some scenarios it can be OP.

I quite like the house rule that other cloisters stop the branch of the Monastery when they are placed in its orthogonal row or column. This gives other players the chance to keep their range in check.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »
Here is the link to CarcF:
Carcassonne (neue Edition)

-----------------------------
The river has 12 landscape tiles (this information is from HiG by call)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
Here is the link to CarcF:
Carcassonne (neue Edition)

-----------------------------
I'm not questioning the number of tiles. All three Rivers have 12 tiles. I'm wondering if the River tiles show the new features included with the Big Box 5 River.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »
I'm not questioning the number of tiles. All three Rivers have 12 tiles. I'm wondering if the River tiles show the new features included with the Big Box 5 River.
I know whaleyland, but this was my question to Dirk Geilenkeuser at HiG yesterday by call.

Gerry

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »
With HiG mixing general release mini-expansions, limited release stuff , new river mini-expansions bundled with the base game and out of print larger expansions bundled with the big box , add in two new colours of meeples and now adding a new abbot meeple if you buy new copies of the game, well it all just seems a little bit too much merchandise for too little product.

I do not mind running out and buying the expansions if they are well done, I bought my copy of Hills and Sheep so early it came with baby lambs instead of sheep.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
xx
Images of box fronts of new Carcassonne edition