Author Topic: Russian Mini Expansion - Reprint of HIG !!!tbc!!!  (Read 8935 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Russian Mini Expansion - Reprint of HIG !!!tbc!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 01:30:36 AM »
Great comments guys.  I would argue that providing a URL to something that was in breach of copyright means that CarcC is distributing the content.  It's a bit like torrent websites saying they don't distribute illegal movies because the files are transferred peer to peer. The torrent website is still a means of finding peers and sharing illegal content.
Now how I or other moderators police urls a member post is a different topic entirely!  I rarely have time to view every link let aloe review it!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
Back to the OP's point, it seems that HiG prefer to make tiles available on cundco in 6-tile groupings (probably that's the most cost-effective way to produce them, using existing dies and processes). So this would suggest a few possibilities:
  • "Russian Promos": Wait to see if the Russian distributor makes two more promo tiles next year, and then reprint all 6 as a set.

• "Rarities": Combine the 4 Russian tiles with 2 other hard-to-find tiles: the original CRCR tile from Inns & Cathedrals (before the junction was added to the crossroads) and the fifth shrine from Cult, Siege & Creativity that does not appear in any other shrine set.

• "Faith and Folklore": The 4 Russian tiles plus the 2 Darmstadt churches. (Leave out the Darmstadtium because it's profoundly anachronistic and, well, not very attractive.) Though it might not be satisfying for completionists who want all the Darmstadt stuff, this would make a nice set for those who want these six tiles (I'd be very happy with it). If I were king, I'd desaturate and screen those silly blue fleur-de-lis so they looked like proper Carcassonne watermarks.

• "Collector's Dozen": The 4 Russian tiles, all 3 Darmstadt tiles, 1 La Porxada (as a real tile), and 4 additional tiles to make a two-sheet, 12-tile set. Good candidates for the last four tiles could be the Tunnels (which would require negotiations with Spielbox) or the four Besiegers tiles which are most different from Cathars/Siege. (EDIT: I just realized that the Tunnels doesn't work because I didn't leave room for the round tunnel tokens. And this requires a custom die anyway, so it's a very unlikely choice for HiG. Sorry about the oversight.) Personally, since I missed the Besiegers, I would much prefer...

• "Just a Bill's Dream Set": The 4 Russian tiles, 2 Darmstadt churches, 6 Besiegers, and 6 Crop Circles I for a total of 18 tiles on 3 sheets. Heck yeah I'll pay 15 euros for that.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:53:33 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:45 AM »
I will buy 2 of any of the above!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »

• "Rarities": Combine the 4 Russian tiles with 2 other hard-to-find tiles: the original CRCR tile from Inns & Cathedrals (before the junction was added to the crossroads) and the fifth shrine from Cult, Siege & Creativity that does not appear in any other shrine set.
    Technically that Shrine is from Rio Grande Games, which no longer has the HiG license. While HiG may be able to make their own version, I don't think they would release one due to possible copyright reasons. Regarding the crossroad tile from I&C, it just not going to happen. They replaced that tile in the first Big Box and then future print runs of I&C fixed it too. I never had the original tile and, despite being a completionist, I do not feel a need to buy that tile. It still counts as a junction according to the official rules and it adds nothing new to the game.

Regarding the other ideas, Darmstadt and La Porxada also have copyright issues attached to them – all of them were made under license and not by HiG itself. You already mentioned similar problems with any Spielbox tiles. The Besiegers were available for a good while on CundCo so I feel that window of opportunity has closed. Then there is the issue that all these tiles are in the old art (including the Russian tiles) and HiG seems to be against further perpetuating that style.

Personally, I would like to see Corn Circles I re-released since they were only ever released in a combo box with the base game. But that isn't happening either and Rio Grande missed their chance to ever release it, unfortunately.

Just a Bill, I think your motion for promos is going to die in committee.  :-\[/list]
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:59:08 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link fixed »

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
    • Merit: 47
    • I'm still in beta.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
    Technically that Shrine is from Rio Grande Games, which no longer has the HiG license. While HiG may be able to make their own version, I don't think they would release one due to possible copyright reasons.

Since both HiG and Spielbox were able to use the exact same shrine artwork on all shrine tiles, I wouldn't have thought that RGG would have had any claim on that piece of artwork.

Regarding the crossroad tile from I&C, it just not going to happen. They replaced that tile in the first Big Box and then future print runs of I&C fixed it too. I never had the original tile and, despite being a completionist, I do not feel a need to buy that tile. It still counts as a junction according to the official rules and it adds nothing new to the game.

Sure, I understand all that. I was just looking for one tile to fill in the last spot that could be considered a "rarity." The idea being, HiG isn't really invested in the old art at this point anyway, so whatever sells the sheet might be acceptable to them.

I realize it's a done deal, and I'm not implying they should roll back the change (and anyway my whole post was really just a thought experiment). But, for whatever it's worth, I've always thought that junction change was a mistake from the standpoint of clunking up the rules interpretations. For one thing, by making those two tiny little roadlets sort of roads but sort of not roads, it makes wagon movement pretty unclear (and probably inconsistent). But that's a whole other topic. (I have the original, non-confusing tile and I play it as printed.)

Regarding the other ideas, Darmstadt and La Porxada also have copyright issues attached to them – all of them were made under license and not by HiG itself. You already mentioned similar problems with any Spielbox tiles. ... Then there is the issue that all these tiles are in the old art (including the Russian tiles) and HiG seems to be against further perpetuating that style.

Understood. I never would have suggested any of that, except that the OP said "The good news is, that they are really thinking of a reprint and release via their shop." If that's true, then several of these ideas are fair game. (If it's not true, well then I guess the entire thread is stillborn.)

Just a Bill, I think your motion for promos is going to die in committee.  :-\

Oh, I figured that before I posted. Like I said ... thought experiment.

Offline Drodo

• Duke
    • Merit: 1
    • I haven't updated my profile yet!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 01:46:15 PM »
    Sorry for necroposting.

Any news from HiG to reprint these? It's been 2 years since this was discussed.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • Chatelain Grand Officier
    • Merit: 317
    • Shut up and take my money!
      • View Profile
      • tehill.net
    « Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 01:50:03 PM »
    nope

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
    xx
    Traders & Builders Z-Man English Reprint

Started by InTheDark

2 Replies
    Last post February 22, 2018, 01:08:50 PM
    by InTheDark
    xx
    Which small expansions will never see a 2.0 reprint?

Started by flipshot

17 Replies
    Last post July 12, 2020, 07:31:14 AM
    by DIN0
    xx
    Reprint of Carcassonne: Gold Rush on its way

Started by flipshot

3 Replies
    Last post December 06, 2017, 10:46:26 AM
    by flipshot
    clip
    {Closed} [WTS] 2 Russian Promo tiles with the new Russian bag-counter