Author Topic: Carcassonne World Cup!  (Read 49779 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Carcassonne World Cup!
« on: June 10, 2014, 05:50:06 AM »
I am not a big fan of football, but in recognition of the fact that the World Cup will soon be here I thought it may be interesting to run some sort of Carcassonne World Cup here on the forums.

The exact format would depend on how many people were interested in taking part but if we could get 16 people together we could follow the model shown below with every competitor needing just four wins in order to take the title (the flip-side of this being of course that the number of active players is halved with each round):

Since JCloisterZone is currently proving to be a consistent and reliable method for playing over the internet in our league, I'd suggest that our World Cup matches were played using this. And since it can facilitate a good range of expansions, there's nothing to stop us from including these too; perhaps one or two expansions per round to really mix things up a bit!

I should stress that at the moment this is literally just a random idea so feel free to post any thoughts/ suggestions here (as well as if you'd like to take part) and if there's enough interest I'll be happy to get the ball rolling once we've nailed down all the details.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=829.0
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:03:58 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Carcassonne World Cup!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:12:50 AM »
Well, count me in. Feel like I've chatted with so many of you over the forum it's time to hit the board with you as well.  :(y)

:meeple:
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 06:32:49 AM »
I'm not a football fan either (There is still some very good ice hockey to watch at this time of the year!).

Maybe we could add a little flag of the country next to the player's name?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:44:29 AM »
Of course, I'm in! :)

But I'd rather suggest a little bit changed IHWC model for the Carcassonne World Cup, as it was couple of years ago: preliminary round with 4 groups with 4 participants (16 participants overall), who play with each other, then 2 best players in every group advance to QF, then SF and Finals. Win - 3 points, loss - 0 points, draw - 1 point.
Can be also Qualifying round. In that case 3 best players from preliminary round advance to qualifying round, form two 6-player groups, and best 4 players from each group advance to QF.

Flags is a good idea. But as I can see for now, most of you are from Canada, USA and UK (of course, English speaking countries! :) )
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline evmillan

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:32:54 AM »
I agree with the Mr Numbers proposal  :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:52:36 AM »
It sounds good to me too, especially since it means everyone will get at least three games at the group stage before the top 8 go through to the knock-out stage! But I do have one reservation which is that, unless I'm wrong, reducing the pool of active players from 16 down to 8 under this model will require 24 games (in a single group, 6 games will be required to ensure that everyone has played everyone, so this multiplied across 4 groups equals 24 games).

Considering that the league has been running for over a month now and has consisted of just 11 2-game matches so far, the idea of running a 24-game group stage seems a little bit daunting. This isn't to say it wouldn't be possible, but I think it would require each group to have some sort of manager or admin to help to arrange/ chase-up matches and try to keep things moving along. It might also be quite helpful if each of the "group managers" was capable of hosting JCloisterZone games too as this would take the pressure off me somewhat.

All this is assuming we get 16 competitors to begin with! I guess we'll have to give it a couple of days to see who's interested...

I like the idea of the flags too, it'll be good to see people competing from all around the world!

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »
Count me in!
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:56:53 AM »
I'm in of course, but I'd rather play under the banner of the city shield/pennant in Carcassonne than any national flag :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
Don't worry, Dan! I am ready to help with managing and hosting and I'm sure someone else also does :) After all I have organised my two tournaments, and in the next one I want to use exactly that format.
As for many games: we can put the participants in known limits and run the World Cup in week or two (maximum - month). If a game doesn't happen because of certain participant - give a technical loss. It is World Cup after all ;)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
Count me in...but it can't be this week :)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jvnoledawg

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
    • Noledawg's Travels
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
Soccer.
JLV

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:48 PM »
I like your idea, but all what I can do is, to organize some surprisings from HiG, CoT and from Klaus-Juergen Wrede...

I don't play via internet...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 05:30:03 AM »
So far we have 8 "nations" taking part in our "world cup":

- danisthirty
- Yellow
- Jere
- MrNumbers
- evmillan
- rfielder
- jungleboy
- Carcking

(if I've missed anyone out please correct me)

Hopefully we can sign up another 8 people soon and then kick things off by allocating everyone into groups A to D (4 per group).

Then there's the small matter of deciding how the games are going to be held in terms of expansions used. I'll get the ball rolling by offering the following suggestions and we can go from there:

Group stage : The Phantom + Inns & Cathedrals (90 tiles)
Quarter-Finals : River 1, The Phantom, King & Robber Baron, Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders (130/131 tiles - depending on whether basic crfr start tile is reused)
Semi-Finals : River 2, The Phantom, King & Robber Baron, Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, Abbey & Mayor (142/143 tiles)
Final : River 1 + 2, The Phantom, King & Robber Baron, Inns & Cathedrals, Princess & Dragon, The Tower, Abbey & Mayor (176/177 tiles)

(a bug in JCloisterZone means that games can crash if Traders & Builders is played with Princess & Dragon so I've removed T & B from the final)

How does this sound? Too many? Not enough? Bad combinations? Please let me know your thoughts.

@kettlefish - it's a shame you can't play, but those surprises sound very interesting so thanks for your involvement!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 05:54:59 AM »
I have much to do with the organization for the commuty - especially the cooperation between HiG, Carcassonne-on-Tour (CoT) and both forums (CarcC + CarcF)...  ;D

I've called with Udo Schmitz (CoT) today... I will get some surprisings for the community - here for the CarcC League and for CarcC World Cup...

Also I have the work with the cooperation between HiG and CarcC + CarcF authors...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:56:55 AM by kettlefish »

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
A place for Italy? :)
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne World Cup FAQ

Started by danisthirty

24 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 12:20:12 AM
by Halfling
exclamation
World Cup of Carcassonne Central - 2016

Started by danisthirty

109 Replies
Last post November 23, 2016, 03:49:58 AM