Author Topic: 2017 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage  (Read 39230 times)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
Danisthirty and TheSteveAllen have found another Count of Carcassonne rules implementation inconsistence, so we need to wait for another small JCZ update from Farin. He is informed about it and will make a release as soon as possible.

Is it bad? Possible to workaround? Because khalid and I are trying to schedule our game tonight or tomorrow before I leave for business trip and holidays after.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 10:20:06 AM »
Danisthirty and TheSteveAllen have found another Count of Carcassonne rules implementation inconsistence, so we need to wait for another small JCZ update from Farin. He is informed about it and will make a release as soon as possible.

Is it bad? Possible to workaround? Because khalid and I are trying to schedule our game tonight or tomorrow before I leave for business trip and holidays after.
This bug influences the final scoring in significant way: according to CAR players should take turns for deploying followers from CoC to incomplete features, one by one. JCZ implementation offers to deploy all followers at once, so only one turn per player. I think this could be crucial to one of the players.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »
I think that bug is quite important!  Perhaps we need to postpone until the bug is fixed...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Yes, I see. Lets wait then. Khalid, I keep you updated about my availability. Good weekend!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »
So, that bug is officially fixed in JCZ v4.3.0, so QF matches can begin right now! :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »
Leven and I played our QF game this evening. It was a pretty intense 2 and a half hours but here are the results:

Lots of action from start to finish, but the ending especially had a few exciting twists! Pretty tired now, but thanks for the game Leven! :) :(y)

Thanks also to TheSteveAllen, Jere and thodekey who practiced these expansions with me!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »
I realise I didn't do much in the way of a write-up after this game so I thought I'd offer some thoughts... :)

The game was pretty slow to get started as we both settled into it for the first couple of dozen tiles. Leven seemed to focus mostly on developing the farm to the west and placed several farmers on it to make sure I didn't out-compete him for it. So it was already his farm in my mind and I was mostly interested in closing down his opportunities for growing it, but still he managed to keep it alive and I focussed on starting another farm elsewhere instead.

However, there were no good opportunities for him to claim his farm with his barn and every time he created one I seemed to draw a tile that he could have used to place his barn. On at least 2 or 3 occasions I used these tiles to take away this opportunity until eventually I surrendered to the fact that I couldn't stop him indefinitely and decided to claim the farm with my own barn, even though this meant giving him around 30 points for his farmers and 4 meeples back + pig. However, I'd managed to claim back an equivalent number of points by joining on a couple of farmers of my own + pig to MY new barn farm and pretty soon things were even again.

Immediately after placing my barn I used my Abbey to complete a city which I'd been using earlier to generate extra turns as it had my builder in it. This got me a decent handful of points, and a few trade tokens, but most importantly it prevented the pig herd tile from getting on to the bigger farm (something I'd previously been hoping to do with a cfff as I'd intended to put my barn somewhere on this farm before choosing to take Leven's farm instead). At this point in the game I felt like I had good control as I owned a big barn farm and had also claimed another farm serving 5 or 6 cities. I'd also managed to trap Leven's builder in a cccc gap where he'd played an uncharacteristically risky move earlier in the game and I'd leapt on the chance to slow him down!

I think Leven knew that he was on the back foot after this, but kept his score ticking over and made sure to take plenty of trade goods too. I was lucky enough to draw all of the Corn Circle tiles which gave me some extra influence over the game but mostly these were superfluous and didn't change very much. Similarly, the Count didn't make a huge difference either as we were generally able to counter each other by matching meeple placements within the City of Carcassonne so that neither of us had an advantage when it came to city closures. It did make a small difference on a couple of occasions where Leven was able to deploy to my barn farm upon connection of farmer to farm, as this meant we shared the points and I didn't have the chance to double my share with the pig.

Towards the end of the game Leven made a risky attempt to join his barn to my barn farm. So blocking this became my new top priority, although neither of us seemed to get any useful tiles straight away. Eventually I managed to block it by a crrr gap, and Leven drew the ccrr tile that he had been waiting patiently for immediately after! One of my final tiles was the crff CC tile with pitchfork which worked out very nicely by merging my secondary farm with my barn farm and adding another city to it in the process. But by this point the outcome had already been decided.

@Leven: I'm sorry for the poor luck you had on occasions, but as always, thanks very much for the excellent game!

Anyone else still playing or can I declare myself the champion for being the only person to have won a game in the K/O stage? ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 02:15:35 AM »
Anyone else still playing or can I declare myself the champion for being the only person to have won a game in the K/O stage? ;)

Can I be the winner yet? O:-)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »

We can play the final now because it seems that all other players have dropped out!   :)) :)) :))
Khalid and I finally managed to play our QF game... Sorry for the delay, which is a bit unusual in my case. I had a business trip followed with holidays in the Alps without computer... Many thanks to Khalid for the efforts made to play this game as he was abroad when we played... I'm very curious to hear what can be delaying the other games... difficult to imagine that other participants can be busier than us!  :o

Jéré  :yellow-meeple: 302 - 257  :red-meeple: khalid

I had a great start, think luck was on my side. Played aggressively deploying meeples from the City of Carcassonne and built up quite a comfortable lead... but the whole game I had to manage a high level of risk that Khalid would come back because he was first to claim the best farm (and pretty much the only one) with his barn so I knew he would score a huge amount of points... tried my best to join my barn to this very valuable field but Khalid made use of his abbey to block my attempt. Good job!. Other scary moment happened when he forced me to remove my knight from a large city with trade goods (that only needed one tile to be completed)... with some luck I managed to get it back later and close it. Towards the end I needed curved roads to score more points with the farmer-pig-barn combo but it took some time for the tiles to appear so Khalid managed to block my guys with some brilliant placements.
I was leading in the points from start to finish but I've never been confident I would win... there were some stressful moments. Well played! Cheers
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:57:24 PM by Jéré »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2018, 09:07:26 AM »
Special request Mr. Organizer: Could we see an overview of the knock-out stage showing the tournament brackets? Please  O:-) Thanks

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »
Special request Mr. Organizer: Could we see an overview of the knock-out stage showing the tournament brackets? Please  O:-) Thanks
If I understood you right, you are particularly interested in semi-finals matching? ;)
Here is semi-finals x-score table.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »

If I understood you right, you are particularly interested in semi-finals matching? ;)
Here is semi-finals x-score table.

Well almost  :(y) :(y) If you type "tournament bracket" in Google, you will see nice images of what I'm looking for but what you gave is already good info...  ;D What is good for the participants is to get this info at the very start of the stage so that each one can gauge how difficult their path to victory could be.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 04:06:17 AM »

We can play the final now because it seems that all other players have dropped out!   :)) :)) :))

I'm sorry Jéré but it's too late. I played the final against you weeks ago and you weren't there. It was close, but I was the eventual winner! O0

Seriously though, an update from Merlin_89/ zone2 and MrNumbers/ glh510 wouldn't go amiss! :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 05:16:35 AM »
Seriously though, an update from Merlin_89/ zone2 and MrNumbers/ glh510 wouldn't go amiss! :)
We had our game scheduled yesterday, but suddenly my daughter got ill and needed my attention, so we had to postpone our match.
Merlin_89 and zone2 hopefully will have their match this week. They had some scheduling troubles before, but now, I hope, they gone.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
Third QF game there played.
MrNumbers vs. GLH510
342:300

The game was very close. Many times we had less than 10 points difference. GLH510 was first to put his barn in promising place (I spotted that place too, but didn't draw needed tile). His tactics also included stealing of trade goods and placing a meeple in CoC at any opportunity. So I needed to play the opponent's way and place my meeples there too. This payed me off as I won the biggest city of the game: when it was scored, we had even number of meeples in CoC, so it was useless to fly in. Of course, we used "pig-barn connect" when we can. GLH510 put his farmer early in the game in order to receive cfff tile and get connected to the farm, but ALL cfff tiles were drawn by me :)
At first I searched for opportunity to connect my barn to opponent's barn, but soon I realized, that I can build my own farm with barn not worse than his. As you can see, in the end our barns became even.
GLH510 realized some of his mistakes in the end of the game, for example, he had an opportunity to close my north city with 2 trade goods (and steal 20 points from me), but decided to use his builder turn instead. Also he could left some more meeples in CoC in order to steal uncompleted 10-points city during final scoring. But still it would give him only 30 points, which wasn't enough to win anyway. Still GLH510 succeeded in blocking my meeples in CoC, which I wanted to "parachute" onto some farms during final scoring.
Thanks for the game, GLH510! As I said you in the chat, this game wasn't a walk in the park! :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:14:45 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Write-up added »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage

Started by danisthirty

160 Replies
Last post February 08, 2017, 02:46:16 PM
by danisthirty
xx
World Cup - Knock-out Stage!

Started by danisthirty

117 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 07:01:52 AM