Author Topic: Latest thing from Basically Wooden  (Read 31032 times)

Offline Reggie777

• Villein
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Latest thing from Basically Wooden
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2016, 07:11:20 AM »
I love the wooden tile holders!!! Presently I have the 3D printed plastic 3x3 tile holders from Thingiverse. They make playing so much neater, and free from worry of being jostled. Their only drawback was their cost. [approx $7 / grid]. These wooden ones are definitely affordable, and well worth our support.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2016, 07:26:49 AM »
I like this grid. In addition to it's obvious pros, it can help in situations, when you reach the edge of the table: some tiles could be off the table without problems. But still I don't consider buying it at the moment. Firstly, 18 EUR just for the base game is too pricey. Secondly, IMO, this set is worth buying only when you often play on uneven surface, which isn't a case for me.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »
I definitely agree on the table-edge point, and actually I was talking about that with Basically Wooden yesterday. In my games we play a 'if more than 50% of the tile is on the table, you can play it' rule. But having the grid would be much better as it would really make clear how many tiles you can still fit on the board a few moves earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
I wasn't initially very excited about this idea but having seen the photos it looks like they could work well. Probably a little frivolous for me as I only usually play quite small games with physical tiles (larger games are played on JCloisterZone) and we've never run into any problems with table space. I like the look of them though, and would consider getting half a dozen or so just to avoid the annoyance of careless people placing tiles clumsily and me having to straighten everything up before I can consider where to put my next tile...

So it's a :(y) from me!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »
I wonder if there would be a subconscious effect on gameplay. As in, would you be more likely to place a tile in an existing grid rather than expanding the landscape to a new grid?

Or, you could even create a variant rule using the grids: that each grid must be filled (if possible) before a new grid is placed on the table. That could be a fun alternative way to play occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Reggie777

• Villein
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
I've used the plastic grids for quite some time now, over a year, and can say that I don't feel any pressure to place tiles based on the availability of space on the grid. I just play as I decide, and add grids as play dictates. But if it were subconscious, I guess I'd never know.  ::)

The beauty of using them is for those of us who are borderline compulsive and must straighten out the tiles before taking their turn. Yes, and even those who are compelled to straighten them after each play.   C:-) No more bumped table mishap.

Our House Rules include being able to shift the entire game if the tiles develop off to one side. Thus we do not include the "edge of the table" limitation until we absolutely have to. This ensures that the play focuses on the rules of play, rather than an artificial limit, such as the edge of the table. But these are just our house rules.

Maybe not for everyone. But grids are definitely appreciated in our house.  :(y)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2016, 11:50:14 AM »
Our House Rules include being able to shift the entire game if the tiles develop off to one side. Thus we do not include the "edge of the table" limitation until we absolutely have to. This ensures that the play focuses on the rules of play, rather than an artificial limit, such as the edge of the table. But these are just our house rules.

That's a really good point. If you want to shift your whole landscape on the table, it would much easier with grids.

Or if you need to move it even more...

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2016, 06:15:08 AM »
£3 each seems pretty good.  I'd be a bit worried about the soot getting onto the tiles, but hopefully it can be brushed off easily.

I've considered a few fan-expansions that need something like this!

Looks like you had a great time on Friday by all account Jungleboy - sorry I couldn't make it - work's been far too busy in the run up to Christmas...maybe another time :(

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2016, 04:10:01 PM »
That's a really good point. If you want to shift your whole landscape on the table, it would much easier with grids.

or just pull the tablecloth

gently now

I said "gently"

"Oh, just let me do it ..."
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Basically Wooden large box: pictures (drop box) & some dimensions.

Started by egamar

6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2015, 01:54:42 AM
by Rosco
xx
Carcassonnebox basically wooden

Started by Dkmvs

16 Replies
Last post September 24, 2022, 04:57:42 AM
by Carcassonne King
xx
An Afternoon at Basically Wooden