Author Topic: Acquire all expansions, but in what artwork?  (Read 5524 times)

Offline Piece0fYou

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Acquire all expansions, but in what artwork?
« on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:50 AM »
Hello  :blue-meeple:

Nice forum and community you've got going here. I've read a lot of interesting post throughout my mission to sort out which artwork I'll really go for.

My situation is this: I've played Carcasonne Big Box 6 at some relatives house a couple of times last year. We played with I&C, T&B and soon all the expansions included in that Big Box. When my mom asked what I wanted for Christmas I easily said Carcasonne Big Box. She said there might be multiple choices in the store so I told her that when she were buying one at all it was important she'd buy the most possible expansions since I wanted to get all sooner or later.

This is what she told the store clerk in the games store downtown Oslo, Norway where we live. I got the Big Box 5 (Doris Matthäus artwork) which I thought was sweet at first even though i thought it was weird that it was different from my relatives big box (Anne Pätzke artwork). At this time I didn't know Carcasonne exists in two differnt artworks. It was a couple of months since I played it so I didn't realize there where several artworks.
For my brithday i March my friend got me The Princess & the Dragon and of course this is in the other artwork that I have. I know that you can play them together perfectly fine, but I'd like to get everything in one artwork. Esthetique and feel is important to me.

I have some concrete things I'd like help in clearing up:
1. Is it right that The Catapult is not available in the old artwork?
2. Is it right that the base game in Big box 6 has vineyards where for instance the Big box 5 doesn't? Is the Abbey mini-expansions only available in the new artwork?
3. Is the distinctive German expansions in both artworks? I'm thinking abouth The Spielbox magazine-expansions like Die Windrosen, Der tunnel and also the german castles and Cathedrals.
4. What about the Spiel-tiles? These aren't too important to me. My choice of artwork will probably not be affected by these but, I'm curious.
5. Does new expansions only come out with the new artwork or both? Do they still plan on further expansions or is that era over and the only expansions coming are fanmade?

It would be perfect if someone had a table showing what expansions are available in what artwork, but I haven't found one. Here is a great overview, but it doesn't say anything about artwork

I prefer the old artwork slightly, but most important to me is to get as many expansions as possible in one artwork.
I also know that some expansions are weird according to many, like The Catapult, but I,m still interested in getting every expansion from The School to under the Big Top  :(y)

Hard to understand why they would suddenly change artwork when there are so many games sold with one artwork. Nothing wrong with the old one  :)

I appreciate every answer - thank you  :D

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4276.0

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: Acquire all expansions, but in what artwork?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »
Hi Pieceofyou,
Welcome to the forum.

1. The Catapult is only available in the original art.
2. The vineyards are part of the Hills and Sheep expansion. It is available in both art but is not part of big box 6.
3. The Spielbox expansions are only in the original art. The German Castles are in both, the German Cathedrals only in original art.... At the moment.
4. The spiel tiles are only in the new art.
5. New expansions will only be in new art. I hope there will be expansion 11 but I can't confirm it.

The list in the profile section of this forum lists all but the very recent expansions. Wikicarpedia is another good source of what is available and has rules for each too.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:07:04 AM by Halfling »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »
And to add to that, the vineyards you refer to from big box 6 are gardens, those are for the Abbot expansion, that is only in the new art.

Big box 5 has vineyards for the Sheep&Hills expansion
Bix box 6 has gardens for the Abbot expansion
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »
Hi Piece0fYou,

Welcome to the forum!

You can find a listing of all the expansions published for both editions on the home page of the wikicarpedia (or WICA for short):

http://wikicarpedia.com/

From here you can visit each the rules page for each expansion (or base game) covering all the available clarifications up to date.

You can also find a listing by chronological order in the Timeline page:

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Timeline

If you are interested in the contents of the Big Boxes, you can check you can check the Variants page too. Just remember that Big boxes 1 to 5 were released in the classic artwork and Big Box 6 was released in the new artwork.

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Variants#Big_Boxes

Hope this helps.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline dronedrone

• Vassal
  • Merit: 6
  • Updated my profile have I.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 12:49:09 AM »
It would be perfect if someone had a table showing what expansions are available in what artwork, but I haven't found one. Here is a great overview, but it doesn't say anything about artwork

Hi PieceOfYou, welcome to the Forum.

As well as the excellent suggestions above have a look at the Profile/Summary Tab, it gives a list of expansions, split by artwork.
The owls are not what they seem

Offline Piece0fYou

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 03:46:29 PM »
Thank you all! I feel welcome and you've got great answers!  ;D

And to add to that, the vineyards you refer to from big box 6 are gardens, those are for the Abbot expansion, that is only in the new art.
I didn't realize. Glad you understood what I'd gotten wrong :)

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Timeline
Nice overview! Thanks!

It's a nice list! Thanks!

5. New expansions will only be in new art. I hope there will be expansion 11 but I can't confirm it.

Wikicarpedia is another good source...
Thanks Halfling for the very precise answers to my list of questions! :D
Wikicarpedia was excellent!

I'm new to the Carcassonne community and it seems like you've got a pretty good overview. The game came out almost 20 years ago. Does it seem like there aren't coming many more expansions as you are unsure whether there will be an elleventh? As things are now, going for the old artwork doesn't seem too stupid, but it would be a bummer in the long run if many more expansions are coming in the (distant) furture. Is there a news portal for Carcasonne somewhere? Where do I find the latest news?

Judging by what I've learned from you now, both artworks allows me to stacks up quite a few expansions.

I get that this and this expansion are made in old and new art, but that's a different thing from actual availability.

Do they still produce the expansions for the old art or does one have pay up big on eBay and alike to get a hold of them?
I'm curious about both the big expansions as well as the small ones.

If it's not that easy to get the old art expansions it will cause me more headache than fun going for that one.

Is Cundco.de some kind of original store? Are there any other original stores for other countries or other sites you recommend buying from?

I've played a variant where every player keeps three tiles at hand and can choose which to use. Apart from that I've been playing pretty vanilla. If any of you have som hot recommendations to variants, sites or other thing for a love-struck Carcasonne player, lemme know :)

Heading to the boardgame store on tuesday before I return to the desolate place where I live - hopefully with some cool expansions either bought there or ordered online  8)

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 11:46:24 PM »
Hello pieceofyou and welcome to the forum also from me. Listen ... I understand you are a collector and you would be inclined to recover all the expansions of the game. in this case the advice I feel I can give you is to forget the old edition. There are many things of the old edition that are really hard to find and the prices are high. In addition, consider that all that will be done in the future will be for the new edition.
Until now the only rare and difficult to find items of the new edition are the 5 promo cards and a scorekeeper. everything else is easy to find via cundco and other physical and online stores.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 11:49:05 PM »
And yes, cundco is the official german carcassonne online store.
Fore some homerules I think here in the download section there will be something :)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 03:13:40 AM »
If you want some info on fan expansions available for the new edition check this superb thread started by wolnic.

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3748.0

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »
PieceOfYou, Welcome to the forums! First, let me say that I am jealous you got your hands on Big Box 5. Of all the things I am missing that can still probably be gotten this is highest on my wishlist. I feel as though BB5 fills in some of the gaps I have without being crazy expensive. As for whether you collect only old art or new art? Well that's a tough one. I think collecting the new art stuff is easier but either choice has its rarities. The old art has the likes of the Cathars, Corn Circles I, Besiegers, and the Tunnels. Meanwhile the new art has the Spiel promo tiles from the last 5 years. Best I could honestly say is to just collect what you can and enjoy it as much as you can!

Offline Piece0fYou

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 02:35:38 AM »
Thanks for good answers aenima, Meepledrone and DaFees!
Nice, but to me it's unclear whether the games sold here are in german or english. My german is not so strong  ::)

It would've been easier if I'd only gotten one of aenima and DaFees answers  ;D
But then I wouldn't be getting the whole picture.
At Outland games store in Oslo, Norway, BB5 is apperently sold for a reasonable price. Maybe the availability is very different from country to country.

So they've completly stopped producing Carc and the expansions in the old artwork? Heard they stopped in 2017 Are the only available copies those allready produced and stacked up at shop stocks? As well as used ones being sold of course. It'll be hard to get a an expansion made in 2009 (Der tunnels) if it's several years since they stopped producing it.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 08:13:58 AM »
The Tunnels is not a great expansion to play, it is wanted more by the completionists than the players.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
And yes, the old artwork is no longer produced.
The Base game and some expansions are widely available (even new), but many of the small expansions have been produced in limited quantities, so can be hard to find these days.
The count is pretty easily found, but the tunnels is a prime example of a hard to find expansion.
Expansions from Spielbox magazines seem to all be difficult to find, as well as CC1, as even HiG have stated that CC2 (that comes with the mini's) is the current version that they support.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
Thanks for good answers aenima, Meepledrone and DaFees!
Nice, but to me it's unclear whether the games sold here are in german or english. My german is not so strong  ::)

It would've been easier if I'd only gotten one of aenima and DaFees answers  ;D
But then I wouldn't be getting the whole picture.
At Outland games store in Oslo, Norway, BB5 is apperently sold for a reasonable price. Maybe the availability is very different from country to country.

So they've completly stopped producing Carc and the expansions in the old artwork? Heard they stopped in 2017 Are the only available copies those allready produced and stacked up at shop stocks? As well as used ones being sold of course. It'll be hard to get a an expansion made in 2009 (Der tunnels) if it's several years since they stopped producing it.

the language is not important ... the beauty of Carcassonne is also in this: independence from the language.  and for the rules you can count both on the CAR, on this forum, and on the Wikipedia.

Yes, it's hard to find old stuffs. It's also for this that I told you to buy the new edition

I have to add one more think: some people hate the new edition for the graphic... It's true that the first impact with the new edition after playing the old one is strong! But now I can say that I love more the new one!

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »
There are many opinions on how to start collecting something. There are people who collect everything edited even with different boxes even if it is the same. In the case of Carcassonne there is the old and the new edition. Personally I started to collect it when it came out about the year 2000. I have a special affection for that edition. For me it was a surprise that the edition was changed although it was not closed to that possibility. In my case it was disappointing to see the new design. Very artificial especially the colors that make it look like a prototype of a game. Due to this opinion I refused to continue collecting the same but with the new edition. That implied that the different new expansions would not buy them either.
What do I mean with all this? Well, what collections do you like? Do not do it compulsively. If you like one edition more than another, collect that edition. If you like both equally then I would tell you to collect everything. The problem with the old one is the price with what expansions, but if you like it, I think it's worth it. If you like more the new one you have it better since the prices are more reasonable (except for the spiel tiles that is something out of orbit).
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Asmodee to acquire Zman?

Started by AlbinoAsian

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2016, 01:29:09 AM
by MrNumbers
xx
What expansions do you own, but have yet to play with?

Started by CKorfmann

29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 02:27:05 AM
by thodekey
xx
Have: NIB all minis,GQ11 Catap,+stuff Want: Tunnel/besiegers/cathars (as all do)

Started by What If?

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 01:59:23 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Spin-offs with German boxes but with Romanian CDs?

Started by NGC 54

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2023, 02:29:46 PM
by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)
xx
Where you could have found it, but can't now

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

18 Replies
Last post October 23, 2017, 11:34:57 AM
by Willem