Author Topic: Questions  (Read 77661 times)

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
Re: Questions
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
"At the beginning of the game all triangular tiles are placed face up on the table. A starting player is determined. Starting with the player who will be last in turn order and moving counterclockwise, everyone takes one tile and places it face down in front of him. All players then take a second tile in the same way. Thus, each player has chosen 2 tiles to use during the game." Why face down, if all players have seen your tiles?
With the crop circle you can remove/place any kind of meeple?
Do you receive a second message in a round of scoring (For example #2C) if you choose "Score 2 points (as shown in the bottom-right of the message tile.)"?
If you receive the message 4 when you create the river, you draw a river tile?
"When a completed road or a city contains a tile which features a watchtower, and there is a meeple on the feature (city, road) on that tile, the watchtower is scored first." Road, city or castle? Or only road or city?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:18:56 AM by Carcassonne93 »
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
But in this case the all 9 spaces are not occupied.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2020, 04:46:22 PM »
[178.] Can you place a meeple and the phantom on the labyrinth-tile in the same turn?

You can place only one of them as you are occupying one feature only, you can place either one of your wooden meeples or your phantom on the labyrinth tile.

Take also into consideration the occupancy rules for the labyrinth:
* Basic rules: you can only occupy the labyrinth tile if no meeple is placed on the connected roads.
* Advance rules: you can occupy the labyrinth tile no matter the meeples placed on the connected roads.
Surely you can place one meeple (normal or phantom) as a highwayman on the labyrinth itself and one as s farmer on one of the thin fields on the edges of the tile?

You cannot place one of your wooden meeples and your phantom on the labyrinth at the same time but you have several options as you suggest:
* A wooden meeple as a highwayman on the labyrinth and a phantom as a farmer on one of the field strips
* A wooden meeple as a farmer on one of the field strips and a phantom as a highwayman on the labyrinth
* A wooden meeple and a phantom as farmers on two of the four field strips surrounding the labyrinth on the tile.

Of course you can also decide to place just one meeple (wooden or phantom) either as a highwayman or as a farmer.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2020, 03:54:07 AM »
What happens if you fly (or arrive with the portal) on this monastery (after removing of blue and red meeple)?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2020, 04:20:03 AM »
[180.] Are these monasteries completed?

[A.]

This monastery is completed (the surrounding 8 spaces are occupied at least by one halfling) and a player would score 16 points (1 normal tile and 15 halflings) for it during the game.

[B.]

This monastery is NOT completed (one of the surrounding 8 spaces is empty). A player would score 16 points (16 halflings) for it if scored by an abbot during the game or at the end of the game.

Note the halflings next to the monastery (on another halfling) does not complete the monastery. They are both on the same space.

[C.]

This monastery is completed (the surrounding 8 spaces are occupied at by halflings and normal tiles) and a player would score 16 points (1 normal tile and 15 halflings) for it during the game.

Note the triangular gap by the monastery is unimportant.

So all in all, monasteries (on a square tile or on a halting) are completed if the 8 surrounding spaces are occupied by 1 square tile, 1 halfling or 2 halflings on the same space. If we include double-sized tiles one space or two spaced adjacent to the monastery could be also occupied by a double-sized tile. Each tile on the 9 spaces (the one with the monastery and 8 adjacent ones) will count as 1 point no matter if the tile is square, a halfling or a double-sized tile. Double sized-tiles are counted once even if occupying two adjacent tiles to the monastery.

You can review the rules and associated clarifications here:
* Monastery scoring with Halflings: http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Halflings_(1st_edition)#Scoring_a_feature_.5B8.5D
* Monastery completion with halflings: http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Halflings_(1st_edition)#cite_note-9
* Monastery scoring with double-sized tiles: http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Castles_in_Germany#cite_note-1

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2020, 04:27:37 AM »
[181.] How many points do you receive for this monastery? 17 or 18?

This monastery will score 18 points (1 point for each of the 18 halflings on the space with the monastery tile and the 8 adjacent spaces).

For this scenario to be possible, the monastery tile has to be the last one placed here, otherwise the monastery would be completed earlier, since triangular gaps in the any of the 9 spaces with monastery tile and the 8 adjacent spaces would be ignored.

You can revisit this clarification:
* Monastery completion with halflings: http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Halflings_(1st_edition)#cite_note-9
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:29:24 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2020, 04:43:05 AM »
(180.) Are these monasteries completed?
Yes all of them.....  ::)

Allow me to disagree. The second example is not complete as there is an empty square space adjacent to the space with the monastery.

Two halflings on the same space are not enough to complete the monastery even if the position of the monastery seems not to touch the empty space.

When adding Halflings to the equation, we have to think of occupied spaces (the one with the monastery and the 8 adjacent ones). I visualize it as a 3x3 grid. Each space has to be occupied somehow: by one or two triangular tiles, by a square tile or even by half a double-sized tile.  ;D

Only individual triangular gaps are ignored so a space with a triangular gap is considered occupied of the sake of the completion of the monastery.

As you know, this is all we have including clarifications and interpretations of the rules for C1:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Halflings_(1st_edition)

Let's see if HiG makes our lives any easier with the release of Halflings for C2. I have my reservations since they will not be able to include all the interactions due to the lack of space to include them all. Let's wait and see.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2020, 04:48:19 AM »

Allow me to disagree. The second example is not complete as there is an empty square space adjacent to the space with the monastery.

Two halflings on the same space are not enough to complete the monastery even if the position of the monastery seems not to touch the empty space.

When adding Halflings to the equation, we have to think of occupied spaces (the one with the monastery and the 8 adjacent ones). I visualize it as a 3x3 grid. Each space has to be occupied somehow: by one or two triangular tiles, by a square tile or even by half a double-sized tile.  ;D

Only individual triangular gaps are ignored so a space with a triangular gap is considered occupied of the sake of the completion of the monastery.

As you know, this is all we have including clarifications and interpretations of the rules for C1:

Let's see if HiG makes our lives any easier with the release of Halflings for C2. I have my reservations since they will not be able to include all the interactions due to the lack of space to include them all. Let's wait and see.
Then there is a big contradiction with 1 halfling - 1 tile.

Enviado desde St. Meeple Hospital

I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2020, 06:09:16 AM »

Then there is a big contradiction with 1 halfling - 1 tile.

Enviado desde St. Meeple Hospital

That is correct for scoring but monasteries stick to the 3x3 space grid as in the basic game to decide their completeness.

The image below would be clearly an incomplete monastery, but as per the Halflings geometry would be equivalent to the one above, that you considered complete.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:47:22 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2020, 10:32:13 AM »
[182.] "At the beginning of the game all triangular tiles are placed face up on the table. A starting player is determined. Starting with the player who will be last in turn order and moving counterclockwise, everyone takes one tile and places it face down in front of him. All players then take a second tile in the same way. Thus, each player has chosen 2 tiles to use during the game." Why face down, if all players have seen your tiles?

There is no trick here and the German rules state the same preparation procedure.

The rules seem to suggest an open auction but then players keep their tiles face down. Why? Well, players may pick their favorites, if possible, but normally other players would not be able to keep track of all the tiles distributed. There may have 12 or even 24 tiles to choose from if playing with both Halflings I & II.

You can revisit the rule here:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Halflings_(1st_edition)#Preparation

[183.] With the crop circle you can remove/place any kind of meeple?

Yes, you can remove any kind of meeple from the feature type indicated by the crop circle symbol: a city (shield), a road (club) or a field (pitchfork). Therefore there is no restriction on the meeple type itself but on the type of feature it is on.

If using the Halflings II, there is one tile with a crop circle showing just a circle, that is Joker. This means that the player who places this tile can decide to treat it as a shield, a club, or a pitchfork. This is the tile:

The Joker tile will not allow you to affect other feature types different from cities, roads, or fields. So monasteries or other features are out of bounds.

You can revisit the Crop Circles rules here:
* Crop circle rules: http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Crop_Circles#4._Crop_Circle_Action
* Clarification of crop circle on Halfling tile: http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Halflings_(1st_edition)#cite_note-5

[184.] Do you receive a second message in a round of scoring (For example #2C) if you choose "Score 2 points (as shown in the bottom-right of the message tile.)"?

Yes, resolving a message consists in either performing the action described in the message or scoring the 2 points as an alternative. According to the rules you score the points (no matter the option chosen by the player) and this may lead to chain messages.

This means that instead of performing the action, you may choose to score the fixed two points because you prefer to chain messages expecting a more favorable action.

You can revisit the rules here.
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages#3._Scoring_a_feature

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »
(180.B) But in this case the all 9 spaces are not occupied.

Yes, as not all the 9 spaces are occupied by at least one tile, this monastery is NOT completed.

Please, check my reply above: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4526.msg67136#msg67136

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
[185.] What happens if you fly (or arrive with the portal) on this monastery (after removing of blue and red meeple)?

After the challenge is resolved the red heretic and the blue monk will be removed. The shrine or cult place will be completed and cannot be occupied again but the incomplete monastery (previously occupied by Blue) can be occupied again with the help of a flying machine or a magic portal.

You can check the interactions of shrines with magic portals here (see section Exp. 3 - The Princess and the Dragon), covering this case among others (the same would apply to fliers):
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Count,_King_and_Robber#The_cultists_2
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:08:04 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2020, 11:09:25 AM »
The big top affects all these tiles?

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2020, 11:11:01 AM »
But you can look at your halflings?

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »
I guess yes.
Every tile start on place of standard size tile arround top.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Questions from comments on WICA

Started by Meepledrone

1 Replies
Last post December 17, 2019, 02:15:27 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
Couple of questions

Started by DaFees

4 Replies
Last post December 02, 2016, 05:27:02 PM