Author Topic: Mini-Expansions - Which ones should I get?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Babycathannahthomas

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • If you liked it you should have put a meeple on it
    • View Profile
Mini-Expansions - Which ones should I get?
« on: April 22, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »
I have been playing Carcassonne since September 2019 and I've really gotten into it. I purchased C2 and all of it major expansions and the Carcassonne Big Box from 2017.

Currently, I have:
- Base Game (C2)
- Major Expansions 1-10 (C2)
- Big Box 2017
- The Watchtowers
- Halflings I
- Little Buildings
- Wind Roses

I've enjoy the vast majority of both the major and the minor expansions I have, but I am a collector and like hunting for less common minor expansions. I am wondering if I should seek out anything else.

Thanks for any advice and help.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4611.0

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Mini-Expansions - Which ones should I get?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »
1. Barber-Surgeons
- this is changing game strategy
2. Phantom
- this add more possibilities for scoring and brings new strategy, which meeple I use
3. Fruit Bearing Trees
- this add a lot of points and fights for fruit tokens
4. German Monasteries
- it can bring tens of points when play "Mega Carcassone" with hundrets of tiles
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »
Can you clarify what you mean by "collector"? Because if that means you are completionist than the answer to your question is... everything!
However putting together a complete Carcassonne collection can be a daunting (and expensive) task. (I may or may not speak from personal experience ::))

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 01:13:34 PM »
Hi! And welcome to the forum (i see you're relatively new  :D)

One thing i love about Carcassonne is the collection value of the game. There are many many many expansions to hunt down and this has given me much joy over the (last) years.
As mentioned before, if you want to hunt down all expansions, Welcome again! You're a competitionist!

Some mini expansions i can recommend:
German Castles
German Monastaries (or the Dutch/Belgian ones)
German Cathedrals (great to use in combination with the Ferries)
Maps (different countries are available)
The Phantom (great for every game)

It can be good to check the profile page here on CC; this gives you a (now slightly outdated) list of all expansions/versions/etc available. There are versions of the base game not on there, but it does show you a nice list of (mini)expansions that there are. (and for me it worked against me as i became obsessed with using at a shopping list :P)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 03:06:50 PM »
Always say everything but don't be crazy like me  :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple: :black1-meeple:

Offline Babycathannahthomas

• Vagabond
  • If you liked it you should have put a meeple on it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 03:28:03 PM »
Can you clarify what you mean by "collector"? Because if that means you are completionist than the answer to your question is... everything!
However putting together a complete Carcassonne collection can be a daunting (and expensive) task. (I may or may not speak from personal experience ::))
I gave up on ever being a completionist of anything I collect, mainly because it would drive me mad and cost too much.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
Well... I drop it here just in case... A list of expansions released to date so you can check the rules and pick your preferred ones:

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Timeline

And some variants and bundles, just in case you have a silly day:

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Variants

Have fun!
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Carcassonne King

• Villein
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
I have every mini-expansion except for the big box ones (which I'm hoping to get in the near future) and the Halflings (which I've ordered, but are delayed due to the Chinese coronavirus.)  Here are the mini expansions my wife and I enjoy the most:

Our absolute favorites: The Festival and the Phantom.  We use these every single game we play.  Official copies of the Phantom aren't being made anymore, but since the pieces are just molded plastic, 3rd party manufacturers have started selling them.  I think I got mine on Etsy.  The Festival is great for two reasons. First, it has some great tile pieces with road and city patterns that aren't in the base game, allowing you to complete things that would normally be impossible.  Second, the Festival tiles allow you to take back meeples that are stuck, which can be very helpful.

Other mini-expansions that we really like include the Fruit-bearing Trees, the Watchtowers, the German Castles, and the German monasteries/Japanese buildings.  (By the way, for those looking to get the Japanese buildings, they come packed in with the Japanese version of the base game.)

Honestly though, I recommend getting them all, as they are all great and I think you will probably save money for shipping rather than buying them separately.  I bought most of my mini-expansions from Cundco all at once, and it was a flat 5 Euros for shipping.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 01:36:28 AM »
Honestly though, I recommend getting them all, as they are all great and I think you will probably save money for shipping rather than buying them separately.  I bought most of my mini-expansions from Cundco all at once, and it was a flat 5 Euros for shipping.

Shipping with Cundco depends on where you live.

Our absolute favorites: The Festival and the Phantom.  We use these every single game we play.  Official copies of the Phantom aren't being made anymore, but since the pieces are just molded plastic, 3rd party manufacturers have started selling them.
As pointing to Cundco, the Phantom can still be acquired sort of with this: https://cundco.de/zubehoer/237/10-verschiedenfarbige-kristallklare-meeple?c=16.

I agree, the Festival is a great expansion to add. Also is Watchtowers
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Maps: which are the best ones to start with?

Started by biowanderer

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2023, 11:43:53 PM
by totor66
xx
Should I Get The New Big Box?

Started by InTheDark

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 05:05:21 AM
by InTheDark
xx
megacarcassonne : which doubles should i take?

Started by SRBO

6 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 09:14:57 PM
by Darwin
xx
Mixing Elements: Which one should definitly (not) be together?

Started by SRBO

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 10:57:18 AM
by jungleboy
sad
Do you own expansions you never play yet still rush out to buy new ones?

Started by Gerry

27 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
by henrysunset