Author Topic: I love debt....  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
Re: I love debt....
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 08:25:23 AM »
Er, yeah - and also as the article linked points out - the words for debt & guilt are linked (in German)...  I suspect that predates the historic economic crises that the article writes of.

I'm sorry, I didn't check the link you posted. My comment was a bit hastily.  :-\
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »
I'm in debt to whoever cut this out of the other thread.

OK so we have explained why Germans hate debt and thus credit cards.  We still need to work on why they hide old magazines in basements, but that is for another thread.  So what about the rest of Europe?  I didn't see credit cards being used in the Netherlands (possibly the German reason spilling over) and Belgium.  My Ukrainian born coworkers have been here for years and still can't believe that Americans use credit cards to purchase coffee and other small items. 

Perhaps Americans are the weird ones.  We don't include taxes and fees in our purchase prices.  We absolutely love revolving debt.  Almost every store takes credit cards here.  Actually there is one well established store in the US that doesn't take credit cards.  They also don't give you bags for your groceries and are starting to change the way Americans shop.  You can probably guess the name of the store and the country it comes from.     
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:01:25 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »
That really ticks me off (and I toned the sentiment down there a lot) when someone produces a credit or debit card to pay for a coffee. The additional time it takes to complete the transaction (after the card is declined because it's bent, or the contact reader in the machine is worn) compared to handing over cash ticks everyone in the queue off too...

Contactless payment is a solution looking for a problem - with the side effect of transferring liability to the cardholder if some criminal element steals the card and uses it (which they'll be able to for at least a couple of transactions before the PIN is required) and for which the transaction limit has gone from £20 to £30 recently...

Then the next thing the banks whine about is people getting into too much debt - open your eyes! Give people easy credit and make it hard to track how much they're spending and they run up debt.
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 01:20:45 AM »
So if bank transfer is the only option then I have found transferwise to be very good.

Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 01:38:12 AM »
That really ticks me off (and I toned the sentiment down there a lot) when someone produces a credit or debit card to pay for a coffee. The additional time it takes to complete the transaction (after the card is declined because it's bent, or the contact reader in the machine is worn) compared to handing over cash ticks everyone in the queue off too...

The price of coffee in coffee shops ticks me off enough to just not go into them in the first place unless there are social reasons to be there, but that's already another topic. Bent cards and knackered readers aren't especially common in my experience, and the people working in the shops are so used to people paying by card that when you try to pay using cash it ends up taking just as long anyway (initial shock of seeing money, finding the correct till compartment to put individual notes/ coins into, working out how much change to give, working out how the correct amount of change can be given using coins available, handing change over without dropping any of it) and that's without people trying to be helpful by paying with a £10 note AND a 20p coin for something that cost £5.20. That will usually warrant a blank stare for at least 5 seconds before the 20p is returned, and 2 minutes lates, £4.80 in change (if you're lucky).

Personally, I find contactless payment to be especially quick and convenient. But then, I have small kids so when I am ever going to be spending more than £30 on anything fun or interesting.

Sent from my computer using fingers and a keyboard

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:46 AM »

Sent from my computer using fingers and a keyboard

:D :D Hahaha

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Love Letter & Love Letter Premium (Comparison)

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
by Willem
xx
I love the postman...

Started by danisthirty

3812 Replies
Last post March 01, 2024, 11:06:24 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
I Love My Birthday...