Author Topic: Castles of Burgundy  (Read 5450 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Castles of Burgundy
« on: February 10, 2016, 07:41:07 AM »
Dan, thanks for the offer to play. No one has responded on the Princess thread but I'm not sure what my wife has planned tonight for me anyway. If I can play perhaps I will see you on the Chat. Don't be obligated though.

Sorry to have missed you. :-[ I've joined a weekly gaming group which is running for a couple of months on Tuesday nights. We're supposed to be finished by 10pm but last night we played Castles of Burgundy which took about 20 minutes to explain and then 3 and a half hours to play as only one of us (not me) had played it before. Was a LONG game, but I really enjoyed it, and didn't get home until 11:30pm... :o

Coincidentally, I just received Castles of Burgundy for my Birthday!

Awesome! Bring it with you to ThirstyMeeples in April and we can give it a go! :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2435.0

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Castles of Burgundy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:59:04 AM »
I want to like Castles of Burgundy, because I love castles. But the video run throughs of it just make it look too complicated and unintuitive for me.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:05:46 AM »
I wouldn't say it was unnecessarily complicated, but you do have a lot of options open to you which often seems to slow people down. The basic principle is to get stuff off the board in the middle and onto your own board but there are several ways of generating VP and other little bonuses along the way which make it more interesting.

The artwork was pleasant enough, although it didn't seem especially castle based to me other than that you start with a castle on your board and have to build around it. I certainly liked the mechanics of the game though, and may be interesting in getting hold of a copy for Mrs_danisthirty and I to play at home...

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »
I want to like Castles of Burgundy, because I love castles. But the video run throughs of it just make it look too complicated and unintuitive for me.

Oddly enough I never looked at any of the videos. I just saw the word "Castles" in the title and had to have it.  :D
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »

Oddly enough I never looked at any of the videos. I just saw the word "Castles" in the title and had to have it.  :D

Haha, that's a good way to do it! It's a very highly rated game so I'm sure you'll love it. I'm just slightly obsessed with games that are simple and can be explained in a minute or two, yet have strategic depth built into this simplicity. Ergo, Carcassonne.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 02:19:58 PM »
Dan recommended me recently to give it a try @ Yucata, and I did so last night. The rules are not very good written, at least at the site, and it was puzzling at first, that (although I selected "Base Game" option, which provides just one map) there was a "zero turn" in the implementation, where you just have to click away, because normally you are supposed to select a map there. Took me a while to figure that out, and it was quite frustrating, but once that was done, the game was very easy and intuitive to handle. I even won the game, although I have to admit, the other player was playing for his first time as well and I probably would have had no chance against a more seasoned opponent.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 09:53:09 AM »

It does take a play or two to wrap your head around it, but it's not that long.  You'll have it down pretty quickly.  The board is busy, but your options are clearly spelled out and once you get the first round down, it's all the same for the rest of the game.  It's a good one, I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.
Flee the fleas.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »
Dan recommended me recently to give it a try @ Yucata, and I did so last night.

Looking forward to that game! Hopefully when we both have a couple of hours free at a sensible time.

It does take a play or two to wrap your head around it, but it's not that long.  You'll have it down pretty quickly.  The board is busy, but your options are clearly spelled out and once you get the first round down, it's all the same for the rest of the game.  It's a good one, I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.

Every time I've had to explain the rules to anyone it seems to take forever as there really is a lot to take in, but once you get playing it becomes a lot simpler as CKorfmann says here. I don't know if it's the design or quite what, but everything just seems quite obvious (or at least its easy to work out what's what) once the game actually gets going.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles of Burgundy

Started by CKorfmann

3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 12:20:26 PM
by Bixby
xx
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Castles

Started by MrNumbers

45 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 02:41:32 PM
by MrNumbers
question
Wagons, ringmasters, german castles and castles

Started by NGC 54

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2020, 07:21:23 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Is this bridge placement legal? (+ another question about castles and fields)

Started by ac1982

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2022, 11:23:56 PM
by Meepledrone
question
German Castles – Element of the Week #45

Started by Whaleyland

12 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 03:58:09 PM
by Valheru