Author Topic: Expansion#6 The Count, The King and The Robber  (Read 29124 times)

Offline asred37

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Expansion#6 The Count, The King and The Robber
« on: June 16, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
Ok people i just bought this expansion last week. I haven't for the life of everything holy, been able to understand how to play the count of Carcassonne part. Literally i have searched for a week straight with no success. Can someone please explain how this expansion works!!!  I understand that there are 4 sections in the city which coordinate with roads, cites and so on. I understand you can put someone in the city if you help someone get points and receive none on that turn. a also understand that the count stops people from moving out of carcassonne. I dont understand when the count is moved  where and why you are taking people of of the city .  IM SO CONFUSED!!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=834.0

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
Re: Expansion#6 The Count, The King and The Robber
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »
You are correct in everything you have understood so far. I would forget about the count for a second. The basic idea is as follows:

1.) You get followers into the city (as you described).
2.) You move followers from the city to a feature just before it is scored. That way you hope to share in its points or even get  its points all to yourself.

So first obviously there are rules that clarify what order people move from the city to the scored feature.
A more serious twist is that when you place a follower in the City (step 1), you have to decide what sort of feature the follower will end up in. So you have the mapping:
blacksmith -> road
Cathedral -> monastery
castle -> city
market -> farm

The final serious twist is that you can block one of those four mappings. You get the chance to block one mapping as you place your follower in the City of Carcassonne, It is this blocking that the Count marks.

I hope that helps.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:59:03 PM by asparagus »

Offline asred37

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
Ok that helps a lot. so when do you move your follower out of carcassonne?

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 04:16:20 PM »
Ok that helps a lot. so when do you move your follower out of carcassonne?

Supposing you put your follower in the Castle, made sure the Count was not in the Castle, and supposing noone has moved the Count back to the Castle, you wait until you see a nice big juicy city that you would like a share of and you move your follower there after the city has been completed but before it has been scored.

Offline asred37

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 04:27:07 PM »
What really? so you can just do it whenever someone is about to score points for something?

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »
What really? so you can just do it whenever someone is about to score points for something?

Well a qualified yes. There are two restrictions meaning you have to predict ahead of time what is valuable and that other people get a chance to block you.

1.) You need to have put your follower in the correct place to get the best scores.
2.) Other people have a chance to block you using the Count.
3,) Other people also have a chance to counteract by having their own followers in the City of Carcassonne.

Offline asred37

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
Expansion#6 The Count, The King and The Robber
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »
Ok people i just bought this expansion last week. I haven't for the life of everything holy, been able to understand how to play the count of Carcassonne part. Literally i have searched for a week straight with no success. Can someone please explain how this expansion works!!!  I understand that there are 4 sections in the city which coordinate with roads, cites and so on. I understand you can put someone in the city if you help someone get points and receive none on that turn. a also understand that the count stops people from moving out of carcassonne. I dont understand when the count is moved  where and why you are taking people of of the city .  IM SO CONFUSED!!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
The Count is my least favorite expansion, but some people love it. It lets you move into features that are being scored, possibly by other players. When a feature is completed, but before it is scored, players, in clockwise order, may place any/all Followers from that feature's quadrant (Castle for City tiles, Cathedral for Cloisters, etc.) onto the just-completed feature. The majority of Followers is only determined after everyone has moved anything they want from the City. Followers in the City after final scoring score no points.

The Count keeps Followers locked in a specific quadrant until it moves away and he also locks players out of placing new Followers into that quadrant. The Count is moved optionally when a player places a Follower into the City.

I hope that helps some.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 10:40:25 PM »
he also locks players out of placing new Followers into that quadrant.

It's worth to add that this rule is seen only in RGG Big Box 2 edition of the rules (see footnote 98).
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
And the new Zman rules, which is where I read it from.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 03:24:14 AM »
Cathedral -> monastery

We should be careful with the use of the word "monastery" as it now has become its own feature, separate from the "cloister". The more accurate statement here would be:

Cathedral -> cloister (or monastery that has been employed as a cloister).

Now, after I wrote this, I am curious if the Abbey has ever been clarified with regard to the City of Carcassonne...

I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 06:31:31 AM »
This seems like as good a thread as any to discuss the Count in general. I was really looking forward to getting it a year or so ago, but I've only played it a couple of times. I like the tiles (and the look of Carcassonne is very important to me!) but I haven't found the gameplay to be very good, playing with only two players and without other expansions.

My impression is that it would be better with 3-4 players and with more expansions (i.e. more tiles and a longer game) which would give more opportunities for the Count/City to play itself out. I suppose Traders and Builders would go particularly well with the Count because they both give you a potential advantage for finishing other people's features.

Does anyone have any other tips for enjoying the Count?

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »
Cathedral -> monastery

We should be careful with the use of the word "monastery" as it now has become its own feature, separate from the "cloister". The more accurate statement here would be:

Cathedral -> cloister (or monastery that has been employed as a cloister).

Now, after I wrote this, I am curious if the Abbey has ever been clarified with regard to the City of Carcassonne...

I don't think there is a specific footnote regarding the Abbey in reference to the City. However, there are multiple other clarifications stating that an Abbey has all of the characteristics of a cloister (e.g. footnote 217, p. 73, CAR 7.0), so this would hold true for moving followers from the City as well.

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »
And the new Zman rules, which is where I read it from.

Where do the ZMG rules say about blocking the placement of followers into the quadrant? They mention multiple times that followers can't be removed from the Count's area, but I didn't see anything about blocking placement into an area.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 07:20:10 AM »
For those following along: http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Carcassonne_Exp6.pdf

And it appears you are correct, obervet. I just re-read it and realize that it is talking about moving out, not in. Since they had already stated that earlier, my brain just drew an incorrect conclusion.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Count of Carcassonne - Count Robber and King Expansion 6 deployment

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 04:49:49 AM
by JoeSesquipedalian
xx
WTB: Old artwork Carcassonne Hills and Sheep and/or Count, King and Robber

Started by nblack27

15 Replies
Last post June 08, 2023, 02:07:33 AM
by oldbonz
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
WTB: Original Artwork "Expansion 6: Count, King & Robber"

Started by chris6507

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2022, 08:31:10 PM
by chris6507
xx
Clarification -- "Count, King & Robber" -- how many meeples can be played?

Started by RJ-NoVA

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2024, 06:54:23 AM
by RJ-NoVA