Author Topic: Rules Questions for Hans im Glueck Thread  (Read 63011 times)

Offline Procyon

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
Regarding a tile from Catapult
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
On the attached tile (the tile with the cloister in the Catapult extension), the fields are divided by the fair, according to note 298 in the CAR 6.4.

If this is true, then we can't consider the tile a FFFF tile, as only two side are continuous field. And since you only find cities, roads or fields on tile borders, what should you play on the sides of this tile that are not continuous field?

This looks like a design flaw.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Rules Questions for Hans im Glueck Thread
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 11:29:52 PM »
I you play an Abbey the fields are divided furthermore. But in fact you can use this tile to put your follower on one of the fields to merge with the other field in one of the next turns.

There are two tiles in "Hills and Sheep", the next coming expansion, which have city edges that also allow to merge with the other city area.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 07:52:27 AM »
As Fritz_Spinne says - an Abbey tile can be played against it as well as a field segment tile.

We also play (house rule?) that you can play a road segment to it. The fairgrounds area terminates the road from either side. So if a player plays that tile in such a way as to try to glom into your farm you can maybe get lucky enough to draw a road tile to cut him off before he draws another field tile.

I say we use this as a house rule but I don't know that it needs to be. It may be official. Looking at the other Catapult road tiles isn't it intuitive that a road can connect directly with a fairgrounds? And the fairgrounds on that tile are drawn so they touch the edge of the tile at the center - allowing for connection to a road segment. I don't believe the way the fairgrounds is drawn is accidental. It narrows down on each side to the width of a road and meets the center of the tile edge. (blue dog)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 09:01:03 AM »
The house rule is a good idea!

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 10:53:49 AM »
As Fritz_Spinne says - an Abbey tile can be played against it as well as a field segment tile.

We also play (house rule?) that you can play a road segment to it. The fairgrounds area terminates the road from either side. So if a player plays that tile in such a way as to try to glom into your farm you can maybe get lucky enough to draw a road tile to cut him off before he draws another field tile.

I say we use this as a house rule but I don't know that it needs to be. It may be official. Looking at the other Catapult road tiles isn't it intuitive that a road can connect directly with a fairgrounds? And the fairgrounds on that tile are drawn so they touch the edge of the tile at the center - allowing for connection to a road segment. I don't believe the way the fairgrounds is drawn is accidental. It narrows down on each side to the width of a road and meets the center of the tile edge. (blue dog)

I had always figured that the art was purposeful for dividing the field and might have been intended to use in conjunction with future expansions that had cities (or other yellow sandlots) that tapered to a point at their edges. Of course, we haven't seen any of those yet, so what do I know? I have added this question to the list.

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »
But in fact you can use this tile to put your follower on one of the fields to merge with the other field in one of the next turns.

This is the way I have used this piece -- as the ultimate farm-stealing piece, with a field edge played to one of the yellow edges on a following turn.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »
But in fact you can use this tile to put your follower on one of the fields to merge with the other field in one of the next turns.

This is the way I have used this piece -- as the ultimate farm-stealing piece, with a field edge played to one of the yellow edges on a following turn.

Haha - yes, but now a road can cut you off!   >:D :red-meeple:

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »
Q: In Sheep & Hills, does a Follower on a Hill in a feature defeat any Follower not on a Hill? In other words, if a player has a power 3 Mayor in a City but another player has a Knight on a Hill in that City, who wins? Similarly, if a player has two Knights in a City, neither being on a hill, and another player has a Knight on a Hill in that same City, who wins? Does the Follower on a Hill gain a real advantage over other pieces in a feature, or is it ONLY for tie-breaking (in other words, a less than 1 Follower value)?

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
A follower on a hill is in advantage only if there is a tie. So a Mayor in a 3 pennant city has majority over one knight on a hill, 2 knights have majority over one knight on a hill and so on.

I wouldn't speak about a "less than 1 follower value" because there is really no more strength/power. If a small follower on a hill would have an advantage of 1/2, 2 small followers on hills would tie with 3 small followers not on hills, but 3 followers have majority over 2 followers on hills. 

It is something like a new dimension - if there is a tie, the followers on hills break the tie (or not, if both have the same strength on hills). There is no hint in the rules how to manage mayors or big followers, but I think you count the strength of the followers on hills just like normal and the player with majority gets the city - but only if there is a tie of all followers.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »
That's kind of what I figured, but it still presents a new concept in the game that I'd like to see addressed by an official Hans im Glueck spokesperson. Thanks for your view, though; it does closely follow my own.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »
Hi whaleyland,
at CarcF we had almost the same questions some weeks ago.
I've called with HiG and got an answer (05.03.2014).

Die Huegelkarte hat nur Auswirkung bei Gleichstand innerhalb des Gebietes (z.B. Stadt) wo der Gefolgsmann sich befindet.
All die anderen Regeln bleiben bestehen.
Das heisst der Flieger darf auf einer Huegelkarte landen, durch den Zaubergang kann ein Gefolgsmann auf einem Gebiet der Huegelkarte gelangen...
Der Gefolgsmann wird nicht auf die Abbildung des Huegels gestellt.
Der Gefolgsmann wird auf einem Gebiet gestellt/gelegt welches auf der Huegelkarte abgebildet ist (z.B. Stadtgebiet, Wiese, Strassenabschnitt).
Der Huegel hat nur Auswirkung auf dem Gebiet wo der Gefolgsmann platziert wurde (z.B. Stadt) nicht aber z.B. auf der Wiese wenn dort kein Gefolgsmann auf dem Wiesenabschnitt der Huegelkarte liegt.

I have to translate this...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:42:04 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
lol! I was going to say...

Thanks for getting an answer, anyway. I eagerly await the translation.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »
That is my understanding too. The Hill only comes into play when there is a tie.

If my opponent is in a City with a regular follower and I place a Hill City tile in a position and I successfully glom into the City with my regular follower - I will control the majority even though we both have just one regular follower in the city because mine is on a Hill tile.

If my opponent has a power 3 Mayor and I have two regular followers - I can win majority if I get a regular follower on a City Hill tile glommed into the city. In the same City, if I have only 1 regular follower in the City, the City Hill tile with a regular follower will not help me. I'll still lose the City 3 to 2.

They will make interesting targets for such mechanics as the Magic Gate and the Flyer and such.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
Here comes the translation:

The hills tile has only effect tie within the feature (e.g. city) where the follower is located.
All other rules remain in place.
That means:
A follower as a flier can land on a hills tile, a follower can go through the magic portal to come to the hills tile.
The follower is not placed on the symbol of the hill.
The follower is placed on  a feature which is a part of such a hills tile (city segment, farm, road segment).
The hill has only effect on the feature where the follower has been placed (e.g. city) but it has no effect on e.g. the farm  if there is no follower on the farm section of the hills tile.

One more point:
If the feature is finished and scored, the follower on the hills tile goes back to the players supply.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 11:30:49 PM »
Ok, then my question:
If there are 3 red and 3 blue followers in a city, and 2 red (of 3) and 1 blue (of 3) are on the hills, does the red player win the tie?
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
News from Hans-im-Glueck-Verlag (HiG)

Started by kettlefish

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 07:57:52 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Hans Im Glueck Trademarking Meeple

Started by Decar

16 Replies
Last post November 02, 2018, 09:19:52 AM
by Squiffything
xx
English translation from Hans im Glueck-Almanac 2008

Started by tuckerr

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 07:22:52 AM
by tuckerr
xx
Complete Annotated Rules - check these files for answers before asking questions

Started by Scott

0 Replies
Last post February 13, 2013, 05:53:10 PM
by Scott
xx
Response to questions related to Condensed rules

Started by Meepledrone

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2019, 04:08:17 PM
by Meepledrone