Author Topic: Ferries... HELP. MARRIAGE IS ON THE LINE!!!  (Read 3103 times)

Offline robnhill

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Ferries... HELP. MARRIAGE IS ON THE LINE!!!
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:24:40 PM »
HAH!  ;) First off... our marriage is okay... but we are having a REALLY hard time understanding the ferries rules.  >:( :( :(

Hoping someone can help us... because we try to play with ferries, put it away for a year or two... try again... put away for a year or two... repeat repeat repeat!

Tonight was the same....

Question: If a road with a ferry is complete, can someone else come along, and build another road, and change the ferry to make their road longer? And can people keep doing this, especially as the ferries can go in three/four different directions?

Can someone just explain the ferries rules in easy to understand language? I feel like it gets confusing as you start extending a road and ferries are involved.

Who can control a ferry and move it? Say, for example, I play a tile with a ferry on it, I put a meeple on it and a ferry. Then my wife comes along and extends that road of mine -- can she then move the ferry? If no, how does she move my ferry eventually? By finding a way to indirectly connect to my road?

Any and ALL information would be helpful. I tried looking at the other forums on here and they're just giving me a headache!

Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4116.0

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ferries... HELP. MARRIAGE IS ON THE LINE!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:13:21 AM »
HAH!  ;) First off... our marriage is okay... but we are having a REALLY hard time understanding the ferries rules.  >:( :( :(

Good to know the subject was only to catch someone's eye.  ;D

Question: If a road with a ferry is complete, can someone else come along, and build another road, and change the ferry to make their road longer? And can people keep doing this, especially as the ferries can go in three/four different directions?

Can someone just explain the ferries rules in easy to understand language? I feel like it gets confusing as you start extending a road and ferries are involved.

Who can control a ferry and move it? Say, for example, I play a tile with a ferry on it, I put a meeple on it and a ferry. Then my wife comes along and extends that road of mine -- can she then move the ferry? If no, how does she move my ferry eventually? By finding a way to indirectly connect to my road?

Some notes coming from WICA/The CAR, where you can even find some explanatory images to all this:
  • If a player places his/her landscape tile and extends a road that already includes a ferry, the player may move the ferry, but he or she is not required to do so.
  • Note that the road must include a wooden ferry to allow movement of that ferry in this situation. Thus, if adding onto a road that ends at a lake without the wooden ferry connection, the ferry cannot be moved.
  • The ferry must always connect 2 road ends and the player may move the ferry such that it no longer connects to the road that has just been extended.
  • If there are two ferries on the road that was just extended, the player may only move the first ferry in the road – the ferry that is closest to the tile that was just placed. In other words, you may move the first ferry that you get to if following a road from the newly placed tile. You may not move any ferries that are beyond the first ferry as seen from the tile.
  • If roads from the placed landscape tile extend in several directions, the first ferry in each of these directions may be moved. Thus up to 4 ferries could be moved.
  • A ferry may be moved only once per turn. If a player places a tile with a lake on it, he or she first places the ferry on the new lake. Then, the player may move any further ferries that are allowed by the above rules.

Any and ALL information would be helpful. I tried looking at the other forums on here and they're just giving me a headache!

If you are online you can check WICA for more detailed information and clarifications:

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Ferries_(1st_edition)

or check the CAR 7.4 on this forum download area.

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=292

Hope this helps your marriage.  ;)

Cheers!
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 04:53:50 AM »
If there are two ferries on the road that was just extended, the player may only move the first ferry in the road – the ferry that is closest to the tile that was just placed. In other words, you may move the first ferry that you get to if following a road from the newly placed tile. You may not move any ferries that are beyond the first ferry as seen from the tile.

Wow didn't knew this ::). Never came in mind this could happen.  :))

I hope she still loves you. Maybe even more now you know how to play it ;D

"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 09:48:21 AM »
Ferry good explanations :P
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline robnhill

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
Thanks for the help folks. Further question... See image below:

In this example, it shows that red moved the bridge, so blues road is closed and blue scores 4 points (blue meeple is then removed from the game). lets say later on, someone plays a landscape tile above the 'lake' tile in the photo, and moves the bridge to go towards the area where blue was before (and away from red), is this allowed?

Offline robnhill

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
Okay. I thought I would do a scenario with pictures so folks know what I'm talking about. See photos below.

The FIRST photo is the same as the instruction booklet where red plays a lake and a ferry and blue scores 4. That's pretty self explanatory.

The SECOND photo is a "CAN YOU DO THIS/WHAT IF" scenario: Okay. So later on in the game, green is trying to 'indirectly' connect to reds road (see photo).

In the THIRD photo, green, during another turn, plays the tile that I've 'bordered' in black. Green is NOW connected to reds road. However, because green connected and extended a ferry, Green moves the ferry so it's going towards the OLD route where blue scored 4 points originally (FOURTH PHOTO with RED arrow).

Is this allowed even though the road that blue completed previously was a completed road?!

I think YES.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 11:41:34 PM »
As per the WICA/CAR, if a player places his landscape tile and extends a road that already includes a ferry, the player may move the ferry. This is the only condition.

Therefore there is no limitation regarding the previous state of the road when changing a ferry.

So the answer is YES.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:32:59 PM »
Indeed, that's the only thing to say.

Robnhill, love your questions ^-^

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Princess and the Phantom - Not a marriage of convenience

Started by Halfling

0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 12:30:41 AM
by Halfling
xx

Started by kettlefish

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 02:57:21 PM
by kettlefish
xx
Giochi on line: Carcassonne

Started by Paul

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2015, 10:34:27 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
What on-line site offers the most expansions

Started by StatDaddy

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2020, 06:55:42 AM
by Decar
xx
Fishermeeple with the ferrie expansion (Hook, Line and Sinker)

Started by Windekind

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 02:21:14 AM
by Windekind