Author Topic: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei  (Read 88662 times)

Offline txema25

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I'm still haven't found what I looking for
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:34 PM »
so, New art. What a pity!!!

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
Was to be expected. Lets hope its a nice expansion, hopefully its worth considering it  :@
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2017, 12:18:17 AM »
Was to be expected. Lets hope its a nice expansion, hopefully its worth considering it  :@

+1 to this!

Thanks for the photo Rich. The new wood looks a lot like the cowboys from the expansion for Gold Rush.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2017, 12:22:53 AM »
Ignoring the new art for a second but I find the yellow blob unattractive, maybe even plain ugly..
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline GeorG

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2017, 01:02:16 AM »
Ignoring the new art for a second but I find the yellow blob unattractive, maybe even plain ugly..

I am of the same opinion as you.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2017, 04:00:36 AM »
Ok so 3 points per monkey, 4 for a seal, 5 for a bear, 6 for a tiger, and 7 for an elephant.  What is the 1 pointer?  A flea? 

I don't know if a flea circus is such a good idea after the plague  8)

I like the new meeple.  I don't like what appears to be flattened crop circles.  So I can see 18 new tiles.  That puts it at the Inns & Cathedrals size. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:10:46 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline ozgurceylan

• Villein
  • Merit: 5
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2017, 04:36:16 AM »
I like the new meeple.  I don't like what appears to be flattened crop circles.  So I can see 18 new tiles.  That puts it at the Inns & Cathedrals size.

I can see 20 new tiles  ;D

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2017, 04:46:49 AM »

I can see 20 new tiles  ;D

Wow good catch!   I need some caffeine.   :-[

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »
I had been thinking the combination of a new large expansion and a big box this year could have been what finally got me into the new edition. But apart from the wood, which looks cool, I basically dislike everything I have seen so far from this expansion. I don't like the name of the expansion (which is a departure from the large expansion naming tradition and seems very shortsighted, in a similar way to Over Hill and Dale, in terms of translation into other languages), I don't like the theme of the expansion (as previously discussed), and I don't like the tile art from what I can see from the photo upthread. The meeple stacking could be cool. But other than that, it's a  :(n) from me so far.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »
Here's a photo showing some of the contents (from BGG)

The photo accompanies a game preview for the expansion. Some highlights:

Components:

Carcassonne: Manege frei! consists of twenty landscape tiles that are mixed with whatever assortment of tiles you're using, along with one wooden tent, one ringmaster figure in six different colors, and 16 animal tokens. During set-up, shuffle the animal tokens — which are mostly numbered 3-6, along with a single 1 and single 7 — face down and leave them on the side. Give each player a ringmaster figure along with their other meeples.

Gameplay:

Whenever you draw a tent tile, place it on the board legally, then place a face-down animal token on this tile without looking at it. Place the wooden tent on top of this token to make it easy for others to spot where the circus is currently taking place. When another tent tile is drawn, place a new face-down token on this tile, move the tent, then reveal the token just exposed. Each player with a meeple on that tile or any of the eight surrounding tiles scores the listed number of points for each such meeple.

Whenever you draw a pyramid tile, place it on the board legally, then choose whether you want to place a meeple on one of the two spaces. A player who places any subsequent tile in one of the eight surrounding spaces can either place a meeple on that newly-placed tile as usual or place a meeple on the pyramid tile. When the third such meeple is placed on this space — thus forming a pyramid of acrobats — all three meeples are returned to their owners, who score 5 points for each acrobat returned.

Finally, you can place your ringmaster on a tile as if it were a knight, robber or monk, and when that feature is scored, you receive both the points for the road, city or cloister as usual, along with a 2-point bonus for each circus tile in the eight surrounding spaces.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
So everything is based on the 8 surrounding tiles.  This actually sounds pretty lame  :(n).  I am still going to buy it of course because I bought all of the other expansions (even the Catapult). 

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
Hmmm, not that much new under the sun:
- we already had the shepherd for scoring points with animals and the aspect of pushing your luck - at least in that case the animals belonged in the medieval landscape of Carcassonne
- the so-called ringmaster seems to be a meeple as all the others (although it looks cool, he doesn't seem to live in medieval times) with extra points when neighbouring a circus tile....hmmm, didn't the vineyards do the same in another expansion?
- leaves us to the pyramid-forming acrobats...well, honestly I like the stacking-aspect of the meeples and it's the only renewing aspect of this expansion.  But what if someone has two meeples in the pyramid?  Is there a majority rule in that case?

Apart from the new art, which still holds me back from buying the new expansions, it seems like they are getting out of inspiration...the new game mechanics don't seem to add much extra spice to our beloved game...but i hope i'm just wrong.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »
I hope the Ringmasters in all my other colours (White, Orange, Grey and unpainted) will be available to buy as soon as the new expansion is released.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
Dont forget purple and pink! I got those as extra colours hehe

Offline ozgurceylan

• Villein
  • Merit: 5
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »
- leaves us to the pyramid-forming acrobats...well, honestly I like the stacking-aspect of the meeples and it's the only renewing aspect of this expansion.  But what if someone has two meeples in the pyramid?  Is there a majority rule in that case?

It says; "all three meeples are returned to their owners, who score 5 points for each acrobat returned."

So, I think there is no majority rule. If there are two red meeple and one green meeple; red player scores 10, green scores 5..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll

Started by jungleboy

32 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 12:56:54 PM
by jungleboy
xx
WTS or Trade: Expansion 10 - Under the Big Top (Factory Sealed)

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 11:17:25 AM
by asp204
question
Under the Big Top question

Started by carca82

24 Replies
Last post October 05, 2022, 08:41:01 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
@CundCo-Shop: Under The Big Top - Ringmasters in alternative colors