Author Topic: Storage/Cases/Boxes etc  (Read 35906 times)

Offline Lord_Wishmaster

• Count
  • Merit: 9
    • View Profile
Storage/Cases/Boxes etc
« on: December 28, 2015, 07:53:34 AM »
I have all the main/large expansions through to Hills and Sheep and a few of the smaller ones. I'm thinking that maybe I should keep it all in one large box/case. I've been having a look around the net and so far I seem to be narrowing it down to the following options:

Wooden custom made boxes.... These are far too expensive for the budget I'm thinking of
Plastic Craft style boxes... There is an Artbin one that gets mainly only reviews about Carcassonne(!) on Amazon (UK)
Cardboard Box.... Not happy with this idea.
DIY Job... My skills are a bit on the clumsy side to say the least.

So, what's the thinking here? Anyone got any experiences to offer? Ideally I'm looking for links to sites that I may have missed.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2279.0

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Re: Storage/Cases/Boxes etc
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »
The basically wooden boxes are amazing but at £50/£80 for the small and large boxes, they are not cheap.  If you were to make a decent wooden box yourself, there is a good chance that it would still cost £30 in materials and loads of your time so the price is not that bad.

Another option is wooden inserts to fit in to your carcassonne box.  These are nice but I feel that the full wooden box is better value for money.

The third option, which is what i am doing until i can afford a basically wooden box, is plastic boxes which are usually used for fishing equipment of sewing things.   I got mine from a cheap shop in Spain and I have 3 of them which contain all expansions including wheel of Fortune,  all tokens and pieces upgraded to wood,  all 12 colour sets plus a pewter set, the score board, one piece city, wheel of Fortune starter, and a few other fan expansions.  They are not pretty but they work and everything fits really well. 
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 12:38:12 PM »
Merit for Decar for his links. Here's one more:

Or search here for photos.

How do you store your Carcassonne collection?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »
I was wondering if JTAtomico had a photo of his collection on the forum. We saw it at the UK Meetup. The tuckboxes are a really nice and a Big Box fits in a travel suitcase...perfectly!

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 12:55:52 PM »
I was wondering if JTAtomico had a photo of his collection on the forum. We saw it at the UK Meetup. The tuckboxes are a really nice and a Big Box fits in a travel suitcase...perfectly!

Yep, here is my collection:

Lord_Wishmaster, if you want to print off the tuckboxes for yourself they are all on this thread: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=320.0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:20:40 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link fixed »

Offline glh510

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
I created a Inlet for a Big Box out of Lego Bricks. Cheap

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 02:51:55 AM »
For anyone that wants to see what the BW box looks like...

I would show you the outside but file sizes prohibit me :(
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 04:47:53 AM »

Good to hear it's bigger on the outside,  I thought that was going out of fashion.

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 06:23:10 AM »

Good to hear it's bigger on the outside,  I thought that was going out of fashion.

Your puns never cease to make me chuckle!

Offline Lord_Wishmaster

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 06:52:19 AM »
Missed a few of these despite clicking on notify! Thanks guys, mostly of help!!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 07:52:39 AM »
A most helpful post and very timely as I have bought too many expansions recently so that my plastic organiser tool box won't fit everything in! For reference, it is the larger of the ones here http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-sort-master-organiser-set-3-pieces/2690d?_requestid=148278 but I bought it from Homebase on it's own for about ten quid. I agree, the Basically Wooden ones look lovely but I can't afford or justify spending that sort of money on a box.

Offline Lord_Wishmaster

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 08:38:05 AM »
Rich,

How many tiles/expansions did you get in that large Stanley box? Does it come with a good number of dividers and are the areas available in it pretty much tile sized. It looks fairly large.

Yep, here is my collection:

Image was here!  ;D

Lord_Wishmaster, if you want to print off the tuckboxes for yourself they are all on this thread: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=320.0

Am I correct in thinking that's all fitted into one of the Big Box inners?
I downloaded your Tuck Box file a while back... Ta!  :(y)
I don't have a Big Box set but this could be a start.....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:30:27 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »
Before buying the Basically Wooden box, I did use a Big Box set for storage and it worked very well. For me it held about half of the avaliable expansions without removing the plastic insert at a push. You could probably store nearly all of the expansions inside one with the plastic removed

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 11:19:17 AM »
Rich,
How many tiles/expansions did you get in that large Stanley box? Does it come with a good number of dividers and are the areas available in it pretty much tile sized. It looks fairly large.
I found it an ideal size to be honest, right up until I got a bit carried away earlier this month and ordered several large and mini expansions. I nearly bought one of those fishing tackle boxes that others had recommended eg. Plano 3700 or Flambeau 5004 but settled on this instead, but figured I could always use it to store screws etc if I ended up not liking it! The sections are a bit taller than a tile but quite a bit wider (although I tend to store mini expansions sideways next to the larger expansions so it kind of works). There is a large central block of 5 sections, with one being double the size of the others. There are yellow dividers around the central block which can be removed if necessary but I've kept them all in. As for the number of tiles, then I guess it depends on how much other stuff you have to store eg. meeples, tokens, etc. I have attached a photo to show you how mine is organised so this should give you some idea. For instance, the very central double size partition contains the 72 tiles from the base game with the start tile on top for easy access. Apart from the material (wood is so much nicer), my only criticism is that I can't fit the scoring track in there, but that's the not too much of a hassle as I keep it in a folder with the rules. To be honest, I'm tempted to get another the same so that I can fit in all my recently purchased expansions, and they'll even clip together. However, before I do I'll have to unbox The Tower to see if it'll fit with some of the yellow dividers removed. Mine says Stanley Sortmaster Junior on the back and measures approx. 37cm wide x 29cm tall x 6.5cm deep.
Hope this helps.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New boxes for tile storage available on Cundco

Started by Willem

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2022, 11:27:28 AM
by Scott
xx
cundco question / [WTB] meeples etc

Started by cicerunner

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 07:55:40 AM
by Meepledrone
lamp
Meeple comparison (wooden, frozen, phantoms, teachers, minis, unofficials...etc)

Started by corinthiens13

25 Replies
Last post July 28, 2021, 12:45:31 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
WTB: The Collector’s Case, Plushie Meeple, Jelly Meeple, etc.

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 06:07:08 AM
by asp204
xx
WTT Spiel 2021 etc / WTB blue bag, C1 coasters and other stuff

Started by Linkarssonne (Linksux)

13 Replies
Last post January 19, 2022, 01:12:29 PM
by Meepledrone