Author Topic: Expansion/Variant Contest  (Read 11910 times)

Offline Big Guy

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • I slipped away, like a THIEF in the KNIGHT
    • View Profile
Expansion/Variant Contest
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:30:47 AM »
Good day all,

Id like to propose a contest here in the forums. Nothing like a little competition to get some more exposure for your work, right?

Any expansion author can submit one of their expansions or variants to the contest. Then, all entrants vote for their favorite among those who entered.

Let me know thoughts on this, and if there is any interest. THanks.

Sample Submission Rules:
~~Any Expansion or Variant on the Carcassonne base game is eligible.
~~Only one expansion or variant per author
~~Your expansion or variant must be uploaded to the DOWNLOADS section of CC by or before the entry cutoff (4/9/2014)
~~To enter, reply to this thread with the url of your expansion or variant.
~~By entering, you are agreeing to view the other submitted entries, leave a comment on each in the DOWNLOADS section, and vote for your top entries
~~On 4/10/2014, entries close and voting begins

Sample Voting Rules:
Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. This contest is intended to promote feedback exchange. THanks in advance for participating.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~Youre not allowed to vote for your own entry.
~~Once youve posted a vote, youre not allowed to change it.
~~Voting continues until the cut-off (4/30/2014 in this case).
~~Non-Entrants may vote. That vote only counts if the non-entrant leaves feedback comments on all entries of the contest.
~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.
~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified. All points will be forfeited in this case.

~~In the event of a tie, the entry with the most first place votes wins.
If its still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins. and so on
If the points total and votes are identical, it will be left as a legitimate tie

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=662.0
A good board game brings people together.

Check out my Variants:
THE TOWER (NCV)
PLAY AS THE DRAGON

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion/Variant Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:49:35 AM »
Hi Big Guy,
I think to make such contest is a bit suspect.

I will open a new topic and there I will tell you a story...

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
I appreciate what you're trying to do, but this seems like an overly elaborate way of going about it.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:32:11 AM »
Shouldn't Z-man Games themselves reach out with a competition for everyone to submit their own expansion in the chance of having it released as an official one, and get some sort of a fairly decent reward.  8)

:meeple:
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Big Guy

• Authors
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »
Hi Big Guy,
I think to make such contest is a bit suspect.

I will open a new topic and there I will tell you a story...

Thanks for the detailed feedback Kettlefish. Understood. My intention with this was to promote some additional attention and feedback between the authors and creators here on-site with some good-natured competition. If there's no interest, it wouldn't work very well, and I never intended this type of contest to 'mean' anything to anyone not on the site.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but this seems like an overly elaborate way of going about it.

I thought you'd say that :c). This rule-set is very strongly based on a similar rule-set at the song parody forum I below to. It has been formed over several years of contests between the parody authors on that site, and it's proven to work pretty well there. Not sure if that will be the case here, and I know its a bit daunting to take it in for the first time. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Big Guy

• Authors
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:29:42 AM »
Shouldn't Z-man Games themselves reach out with a competition for everyone to submit their own expansion in the chance of having it released as an official one, and get some sort of a fairly decent reward.  8)

That would be quite awesome, but I don't think its very likely :c).

The only guarantee for a contest like this is that it would facilitate more attention for the work of the authors involved. Anyone who places 1st also gets BRAGGING RIGHTS here on site, at least until the next contest.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »
Generating interest and interaction is a good thing. I don't know if something as deep as what you are proposing will thrive though. It seems aside from that the best and simplest method we have is the star rating and comments area on the download page itself. I know that doesn't necessarily generate communication on the forum though.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »
I'd like to think less is more.

Less rating and judgement by others for starters. My taste varies a lot and reading any reviews literally won't help me at all deciding to download and try any fanmade creation.
  That being said, I do value others opinion on what made an expansion intuitive, sort of a roundup pros and cons.

We all have our ways on how we like things to show. Personally, I only need to know one thing before I try an expansion: Does it have it's own tile graphics and is it in good quality? This do bring about a wish for a mandatory upload of at least one tile preview.

But, first things first (for me), still reading CAR 6.4 trying to get up to speed.  :meeple:

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

HiG is the right way - they are the first publisher.

Here is the link to my story about fan-expansions and their authors and HiG:
Cooperation between HIG+ZMG, CarcC+CarcF

Offline Big Guy

• Authors
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
Generating interest and interaction is a good thing. I don't know if something as deep as what you are proposing will thrive though. It seems aside from that the best and simplest method we have is the star rating and comments area on the download page itself. I know that doesn't necessarily generate communication on the forum though.

I don't know if it will work either. I dont have any other fun incentive ideas though :c).

Most of the expansions posted in the downloads dont have comments or ratings. Each one deserves some appreciation, but at the same time, going back and rating the work of others and leaving comments for them just because they dont have any yet can feel like "WORK".

If I ever get around to it, Id like to continue my review thread and add to it. Well see...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:17:20 PM by Big Guy »

Offline Big Guy

• Authors
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »
I do value others opinion on what made an expansion intuitive, sort of a roundup pros and cons.

We all have our ways on how we like things to show. Personally, I only need to know one thing before I try an expansion: Does it have it's own tile graphics and is it in good quality? This do bring about a wish for a mandatory upload of at least one tile preview.

But, first things first (for me), still reading CAR 6.4 trying to get up to speed.  :meeple:

I agree, in that we all have our own criteria that determines what we like and what we dont. And in that I should get my butt in gear and read through CAR 6.4 too.

I'd like to think less is more.

Less rating and judgement by others for starters. My taste varies a lot and reading any reviews literally won't help me at all deciding to download and try any fanmade creation.

I disagree, respectfully. Weve all decided to belong to a public forum, and many of us have decided to show our creative works in that forum. Rating and judgement comes with the territory. Id prefer to know what others think, even if its negative or an opinion I dont share. For me, knowing what others perceive helps me cultivate what Im creating, which hopefully makes it better. I want to have fun creating here, and second to that, I want to create something that others will enjoy.

More comments, more ratings, I say.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
Yellow was just stating his personal opinion; we don't all need to agree on a single viewpoint. I support the idea of adding ratings and reviews for fan-made expansions and variants, but to be helpful for as many people as possible they would need to be somewhat detailed. Merely knowing that someone likes an expansion is not helpful to me because they might like different things than I do. For example, some people like Princess & Dragon and some people don't care for it much. If I also don't care for P&D, I might find myself liking the same fan expansions as other people who don't care for P&D because we tend to have similar preferences.

I don't mean to say that a review of a fan expansion should be qualified with which official expansions the reviewer enjoys. Let's imagine that I'm writing a review of a fan expansion that lets you remove another player's follower when placing a tile with a particular image on it. In the gameplay portion of my review, I would want to mention that the expansion includes some player interaction mechanics, so if you like player interaction mechanics you may be interested in this expansion, but if you don't care much for player interaction mechanics you will likely not enjoy this expansion. Similarly, if I'm reviewing an expansion that has the potential to create imbalance in scoring, I'll make mention of this because I know that some people don't like it.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
Hear! Hear!  All very good points. Those are the kinds of tidbits I look for in a review as well. How does the expansion affect game play.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Gencant Solo Contest: 1st August – 4th August 2019

Started by Decar

38 Replies
Last post October 01, 2019, 01:58:21 AM
by Decar
xx
Small contest - ZMG - facebook- Carcassonne the board game

Started by kettlefish

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 01:07:33 PM