Author Topic: 1st International Carcassonne Fan Meeting, July 3-8, 2018  (Read 26294 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: 1st International Carcassonne Fan Meeting, July 3-8, 2018
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2018, 04:50:22 AM »
The game with the wooden blocks has the name "Kubb". We German say to that game also Vickings Chess. It is a game for playing in the garden.

The modell of the monastery Marinenthal was build in around 2 years. In 2010 was a big flood because of the Neiße river. The flood was also in the room where the modell stands. The modell swam into the flood water only the river in the modell had water but the rest was save.

In our seminar room are marks how high the flood was.
------------------------------
I have played with Moritz Brunnhofer Carcassonne Mastermind. But I used only 16 different tiles from the Carcassonne for 2 (with the smaller landscape tiles). I prepared 2 sets of the same 16 different tiles. With one set I make my 4 tiles row hidden for Moritz behind my laptop. Moritz tried to find the right 4 tiles in a row with the right direction and correct place in that row. The placement of the 4 tiles is like the rules of Carcassonne. For the meeples I used the from a base game.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:16:20 AM by kettlefish »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2018, 05:47:17 AM »
I enjoyed playing Kubb, I will have to look for a version here in the UK!

Kettlefish, it would be nice to hear about Benny's adventure in the Carcassonne-on-Tour bus for the final people who stayed a little longer on Sunday!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2018, 06:19:16 AM »
I enjoyed playing Kubb, I will have to look for a version here in the UK!

Kettlefish, it would be nice to hear about Benny's adventure in the Carcassonne-on-Tour bus for the final people who stayed a little longer on Sunday!
It was a fine drive, because on Sunday weren't the lorries on the road. So we had no problems with driving. Annett explained to Benny how to come to Dresden. PresetM needed the drive for a constructive sleep. I was talking with Annett and Benny when he needed only to drive forwards.

Annett rung up her husband Marco - he drove the Carcassonne bus away and Annett drove homewards with the car. Benny, PresetM, maik63de and I went to the restaurant to drink a coffee (no beer). Benny was the first of us to travel back home with the train at around 5pm. Maik63de and I used the same train at around 5:20pm and PresetM took the bus at around 6pm.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »
I hope PresetM used that constructive thinking time to create a new tournament layout :D

Offline Mrs_Decar

• Labourer
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2018, 02:48:41 PM »
A great roundup of the goings on in Ostritz, but somehow fails to quite cover just how much fun it all was. It was an absolute pleasure meeting everyone, and im so grateful for how accommodating everyone was to us. Decar suggested i write my own overview of the trip, however due to the large volumes of delicious local beer everything is a little hazy, however i do remember winning a few more games than i expected (i must be picking up some secret skills from decar without noticing!)
Overall I remember having a real laugh with everyone and i cant wait to see everyone again at essen!

mrs_decar
(p.s can we do it again next year?)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
Many prizes were presented – Mr Numbers won another signed print from Doris Matthaus & Jenny won a copy of the Hunters & Gatherers + Robber & King mini-expansion.  Maj.Frost required this expansion to complete his collection and Klaus-Jurgen Wrede had already presented me with his final copy that he had signed for a giveaway.
Forgot to say:  So Mrs_Decar gave the copy to Maj.Frost, rather than just gloat about it :D

It truly has been one of the most pleasurable experiences Mrs_Decar and I have had. 
... with other people   :-[

Offline PresetM

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »
I hope PresetM used that constructive thinking time to create a new tournament layout :D
Of course, dear Decar, for the 2nd International Carcassonne Meeting next year I promise a new tournament layout. Maybe a 7-round or 9-round tournament similiar to the McMahon Rules that were used for Go tournaments as example? And, as you expected (for sure), lets play this with modified basic Games.  ;)
What do you think?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:46:43 PM by PresetM »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2018, 11:29:57 PM »
How else wouod anyone beat Udo and MrNumbers? :D

Offline PresetM

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
MrNumbers lost three games in that tournament. Therefore he's not invincible.

Look at the top five players (you, Udo, MrNumbers, kettlefish, me). I've lost two of my games after my opponent draws the last tile (in both games the opponent enters with that tile one of my fields), that means, the games were decided by a little luck.

I think, every player of these is able to beat the other four.
So, Decar, don't panic. :-)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:56:44 AM by PresetM »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2018, 02:01:55 AM »
Here are my few words about this fan meeting.

I can only second others that it was outstanding incredible event with so many nice people participating :)) The organization was on the highest level, especially activities and food parts ^-^ Everyone could find something to eat, even if you are vegetarian or even vegan. And those Anett's cakes...  ::)
Board game camp isn't something new, in my country there is one which took place twice a year in some guest house. But I never visited it. Why? There are some reasons: there are many so called "hardcore" gamers coming and they play one [very difficult] game for many hours. Plus there are no other activities apart from board games which you should, of course, bring with you (this isn't a big problem though).
But what are the main differences comparing with this event? 1. You know for sure that all the participants love Carcassonne like you do. 2. If they like Carcassonne so much they probably will like games similar to you like and then it's not a problem to find some partners for almost any game. 3. Beautiful place, very connected with Carcassonne thematics. 4. Activities, like excursion to Görlitz, Meeple Bingo, Meeple Olympics, Beat the Meeple and others (Decar has described them in detail already). 5. Where else can you play prototypes of future Carcassonne (and not only Carcassonne) games, and possibly influence how they will develop? 6. Where else you can get first-hand information about upcoming news in Carcassonne and HiG world?
I can only continue, but I hope you've got the point :D
I won't repeat Decar's report, I can only make some comments:

There are currently 12 (or 14?) nuns active there but they live a secluded life dedicated to their religion.
I think there were 11 of them, if I remember correctly. Their age is from 40 to 70+.

It must be said, I rather like beer and the St.M produces 2 kinds: light & dark (drunkel).  The dark beer was very malty and provided a nice rich head that lasted for the duration of the drink (like any good beer should).
Oh, that beer! Definitely there should be an expansion about beer, and it should be dark indeed! ;D
We joked: why nuns have vineyards, but produce beer? :))

I found the card setup fiddly with 2-players, I played Mr Numbers with 2-players on day-4 and it seemed like only 2x2-tier card would ever be added to the buy-line in their last turns.  I feel like we made a mistake.
The only thing I have found in the rules is "In a 2-player game, set aside 6 tier 1 cards". So, if we did it, we did it right way.

We played a number of games of Azul - though I find it straight-forward I find it difficult to know what the best outcome is I believe MrNumbers was able to channel the tile-spirits and determine the best course of action.
Later (on day 6) I have found out that we played it wrong: if you decide to take tiles from the middle, you take one type of tiles anyway, but we have taken all of them! Besides, other small change is: when, for example, you take 5 tiles of certain type, and you have already started some row with them previously and need only 3 to finish it, you can't use remaining 2 to start another row. You can start a new row with same tiles only on any subsequent turn.

Carcassonne Safari:
Of the Around the World Series, I don't think it beats South Seas - but after 3 plays it feels close and definitely in the top 1/2.
For me - the same feelings. Although I had some complaints about jeeps advantage at the start of the game, I hope it was only my first impression and it won't be confirmed later.

Skull King
I believe this is Mr Number's 3rd favourite game (after Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride of course) - I do not frequently play Trick Taking games, I usually find them somewhat irritating to play.  However, Skull King is the exception.  During the week, when there was doubt on what to play Skull King would hit the table.  There's just the right balance of luck/chance of killer moves which created several hilarious moments during the week.  That and shouting: Yo-Ho-Ho during before casting you bet for the round created a lot of energy.  Thanks to Mr Numbers for showing this game to us.  Udo was kind enough to give Jenny a copy because she enjoyed it so much.
Yes, Skull King could be number 3 in my top :) Rare game night are not finished by Skull King and rare person can remain indifferent to it ;D

This prevented those stronger players (Mr Numbers, Udo and maybe myself) from being able to count tiles during their games.
Yes, this trick definitely made life more difficult as you can't rely on certain tiles that "should be in the bag". But it was interesting experience anyway :)

Finally, we played “Do de li do” and broke many fingers slapping the crocodile.  What a silly game, it’s great fun and a great ice breaker!
We laughed a lot during this game! So it is very precise description: silly game, but you have a great fun playing it, especially in bigger companies.

Klaus-Jürgen won the race and Mr Numbers took third!
At some point I was even first, when Klaus-Jürgen and Moritz crashed into each other and I used the opportunity to outrun them. But Klaus-Jürgen is a really good driver, he left me behind some laps later, but during the last (!) lap I have made a mistake in one of the curves and Moritz left me on 3rd place :)

Other hilarious moments involved our team exactly guessing the combined height of Moritz and Klaus-Jurgen.
And we guessed exactly the right number, accurate within centimeter! Likely I had a tape measure in my car :D

Mr Numbers taught us another game, which I cannot remember the name of – it involves trying to find treasure within a certain number of guesses.  After 6 guesses the cards are reshuffled.  Two players were ‘locals’ trying to prevent the treasure from being taken.  I quite liked the game, as I don’t really like bluffing games, but I felt this was well implemented
The name is: Tempel des Schreckens, that could be translated as: Temple of Terror/Secrets/Horror/Fears (underline whatever applicable).

Mr Numbers had lost 2 games (against Benny? and Kettlefish) , while I had yet to lose one.
As PresetM already mentioned, I lost 3 games: against Benny, Kettlefish and Martin. Last two games I lost because of last tile: the other way around, and result could be completely different. But, as PresetM already mentioned too - luck element presents :D

We also played this game…. I have no idea what it’s called…..we lost pretty badly!

Kettlefish already answered that this game is called "Kubb". I even saw it last week in our FLGS!

Time for some more games of Azul and Love Letter.  Mr Numbers….are you the princess?
It was unbelievable how could everyone guess my card each time! :o Most time of the rounds I just sat and saw how other fight for the next heart :)

Over on the other table Mrs_Decar and Mr Numbers teamed up against Gerti & Maj.Frost with Star Wars: Carcassonne!
And we won! :red-meeple: :green-meeple:

We sat down to play Between Two Cities with Martin and Gerti.  Mr Numbers wasn't too sure about it, but I told him it was a numbers game, so he wanted to give it a try.
[...]
We had a short break and then PresetM and Maik63de joined us – a victory for Mr Numbers if I recall!
Yes, you recalled correctly :D
I liked the game, now I even want to have it in my collection! :)) Let's hope other people from my game group will like it too ::)

I was somewhat apprehensive at first as I thought we’d be locked in a tower playing nothing but Carcassonne for a week.  Instead we've been introduced to many new games.
I thought the same! I understood that this does't make any sense (nothing except Carcassonne), but had the same feeling. As you can see, it was far-far from it :D

everyone who attended wanted to know about a member of Carcassonne Central who couldn’t be with us.  I popped in to see him on the way home and begin Decar’s Delivery service (the trans-European-Carcassonne delivery service), to deliver a birthday gift from Mr Numbers.
Thanks for the safe delivery, Tom!

As I understood, next fan meeting is already in plans, so, this will be "must visit" event definitely! Hopefully we will have more participants next time! :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2018, 12:52:56 PM »
As I understood, next fan meeting is already in plans, so, this will be "must visit" event definitely! Hopefully we will have more participants next time! :D

Count me in, hope that next time you stop for a day in Wroclaw on the way there!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
We are visiting a BBQ this weekend.

We are prepared:

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2018, 02:21:50 AM »
Hi Decar,
you will have a nice BBQ with this game...
I hope the wooden pieces are not for the fireplace.

Offline Benny

• Freeman
  • Merit: 5
  • Hej!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2018, 02:29:52 PM »
Hi Decar,
nice KUBB game  :(y)

Offline Benny

• Freeman
  • Merit: 5
  • Hej!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2018, 02:31:46 PM »
Sooo, after I was on the road again over the last weekend, I want to briefly comment on the fan meeting:

It was just great !!! It was a lot of fun to get to know all the participants "in more detail", rather than only on rather hectic and always far too short meetings at fairs or other time limited events. I really enjoyed it all!
In addition to playing I also followed other activities (jogging, walking, taking pictures, reading and just letting my soul dangle in this wonderful place).
I would be glad if a repeat would attract many more people next year.

A really great venue that I think should be kept. The journey is definitely worth it. Even though it would be more central in Germany, the journey would be a bit more difficult for some. And if one of the participants takes a two-day car ride (one way!), it should be possible for many others as well. ;-)

Many thanks to the organizers Udo, Annett, Mario, the present VIPs Moritz, Klaus-Jürgen, Christof and of course all other participants.
Thanks for the great days   :(y) :(y) :(y)

PS: I will publish some pictures in the gallery very soon. 8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
"Once upon a time in Ostritz" 1st International Carcassonne meeting end credits

Started by Maj. Frost

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2018, 03:09:15 AM
by Decar
xx
Carcassonne-on-Tour and the Fan-Meeting with Klaus-Juergen Wrede

Started by kettlefish

16 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 10:08:34 AM