Author Topic: Carcassonne by Forums 2015  (Read 19419 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Carcassonne by Forums 2015
« on: June 16, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »
Because it was so much fun for those of us who took part in it last year (and hopefully for some of the spectators too), "Carcassonne by Forums" (AKA the forum photo game) is back for 2015! Those unfamiliar with what we did last time may want to check out last year’s game or watch the specially made stop-motion video recreation of the game (below):

However, the game won’t be exactly the same as it was last year as I’ve introduced a few subtle changes. For one thing, players must "buy" their wood (or in some cases plastic and/ or cardboard) before the game, according to the price list below. Each player will be given four standard meeples for free and will have up to 15 credits to spend on items from the list. Choices are then communicated privately to me so that nobody knows what pieces their opponents have in front of them (apart from me – but I will be drawing tiles for everyone rather than playing  C:-)).

• 1 credit: standard follower (up to 4), pig (up to 1)
  • 2 credits: wagon (up to 1), castle (up to 3)
  • 3 credits: large follower (up to 1), mayor (up to 1), phantom (up to 1)
  • 4 credits: bridge (up to 3)
  • 5 credits: builder (up to 1), abbey (up to 1)
  • 6 credits: barn (up to 1)
(limits shown are what may be bought in addition to the initial 4 standard meeples that everyone will start with)

Other than this there will be expansions included: Inns & Cathedrals, Abbey & Mayor and the Fliers so please make sure you already own all of the required tiles (and wood) before signing up to take part.

As mentioned above, I will be drawing tiles and will let each player know what their tile is once the player before them has submitted their turn by posting a photo of the updated landscape on the game thread. Then it will be over to you to rebuild the landscape, place your tile along with any wood you wish to deploy, take a photo and post it back to the thread. Hopefully it goes without saying that any banter, smack-talk, exciting tablecloths and other interesting distractions are very much encouraged! :(y)

If you think this is the sort of thing you would be interested in taking part in then please drop me a Private Message. Whereas the game we held last year was played between 5 of us, I'm reducing the limit to just 4 players per game this time. However, if there are more than 4 players interested in taking part then we will launch 2 or more games to run concurrently so places aren't strictly limited.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1870.0
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:07:16 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Carcassonne by Forums 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »
Question: Can we buy several of one unique wooden figure, such as the bridge, abbey, large follower etc. or, as in the original game, limited to only one of these? And how many regular followers are we allowed?
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »
I think it is right to specify the maximum number of followers normal, you can have (7?). Otherwise I could spend 15 points in regular followers and have 19 of them :)
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »
Question: Can we buy several of one unique wooden figure, such as the bridge, abbey, large follower etc. or, as in the original game, limited to only one of these? And how many regular followers are we allowed?

I think it is right to specify the maximum number of followers normal, you can have (7?). Otherwise I could spend 15 points in regular followers and have 19 of them :)

I thought about this too. In some ways it would be quite interesting to let people have as many as they want of anything (that they can afford), but the trouble is that some people wouldn't be able to set the game up if anyone had a non-standard amount of anything (i.e. 19 green meeples). So, I think the limit will have to be one of everything except bridges and castles which are limited to 3. Maximum of 8 normal meeples (including the 4 free ones) per player too, which is one more than normally allowed but not a problem as none of them will be on the scoreboard...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:06:37 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »
With Carcassonne at my vacation home and without a digital camera I will not be able to participate, but I'll be very interested following this. The "deck of wood" concept sounds very interesting, too. Could become a great variant at the table, too. Although I have two concerns about balancing, but it's probably better not discussing this here before the game, so not to influence the potential players.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:42:14 PM by Hounk »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »
Although I have two concerns about balancing, but it's probably better not discussing this here before the game, so not to influence the potential players.

Yes, good point Hounk.  :(y)

Part of the interest for me as the organiser of this/ these game(s) is to see what people independently decide to bring to the table in light of the selected expansions. And I think this could be easily spoiled by open discussion here about what the best tactics might be. There will certainly be an opportunity to discuss it later on though...

Offline glh510

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »
When will the games begin? I'm on vaccation end of july

PS: May we could also choose the expansions ?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 12:56:49 AM »

Hi glh510.

All being well, I anticipate the game starting in early July. Probably the w/c Monday 6th.

Sorry but there isn't any flexibility in terms of expansions as the ones I've chosen have been specially selected for various reasons such as being commonly available and helping to provide a balanced, interesting game in light of the pre-game wood selection. I hope this isn't a problem for you?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 01:12:48 AM »

Hi glh510.

All being well, I anticipate the game starting in early July. Probably the w/c Monday 6th.

Sorry but there isn't any flexibility in terms of expansions as the ones I've chosen have been specially selected for various reasons such as being commonly available and helping to provide a balanced, interesting game in light of the pre-game wood selection. I hope this isn't a problem for you?

This might be a topic much later on for the next Carc by Forum. Players pick an expansion and the others playing won't know which ones until such a tile is drawn during the game.  :@

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 02:08:00 AM »

Hi glh510.

This might be a topic much later on for the next Carc by Forum. Players pick an expansion and the others playing won't know which ones until such a tile is drawn during the game.  :@

I like this idea. It certainly has potential anyway. My thinking was that players should know what expansions are being used as it would inevitably affect their choice of wood.

The other problem with your suggestion is that it’s kind of a pre-requisite that everyone playing the game owns all of the expansions that are in use (otherwise they can’t set the board up properly to take and post photos of it). If one person chooses Cathars, another chooses Tunnels and another chooses Crop Circles then we might end up in a tricky situation! But then, I suppose the way around this would be for all players to PM me with a list of any expansions they don’t own so that they can then be removed from the list of possible options.

Lots to think about for future games. Let’s see how this one goes first of all...  :)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 02:25:58 AM »

Hi glh510.

I like this idea. It certainly has potential anyway. My thinking was that players should know what expansions are being used as it would inevitably affect their choice of wood.

The other problem with your suggestion is that it’s kind of a pre-requisite that everyone playing the game owns all of the expansions that are in use (otherwise they can’t set the board up properly to take and post photos of it). If one person chooses Cathars, another chooses Tunnels and another chooses Crop Circles then we might end up in a tricky situation! But then, I suppose the way around this would be for all players to PM me with a list of any expansions they don’t own so that they can then be removed from the list of possible options.

Lots to think about for future games. Let’s see how this one goes first of all...  :)

Yes. I for one, may be covered with most common expansions but throw in the Tunnels which I still don't have... Ouch.  :)

Suffice to say, when the time comes, it will be limited to a certain more common expansions maybe.

Offline glh510

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »

6th of july, then I'm out of the game, as the vacation is already booked for CW30/31 (no internet or even Carcassonne there ;-) )

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 08:33:30 AM »

6th of july, then I'm out of the game, as the vacation is already booked for CW30/31 (no internet or even Carcassonne there ;-) )

Sorry to hear that glh510. Maybe next time?

OK, so we have 5 players so far which presents us with two options:
  • Proceed as one 5-player game
  • Wait for 1 to 3 new players and then run two games with 3 to 4 players each
Roll up, roll up. Anyone else interested in taking part?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
I have so many copies, I can play two games simultaneously if it will help.  :@

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 04:14:42 AM »
Hi guys.

So, it looks like we’re doing 2 games of 3 then. I hope this is OK with everyone?

Assuming it is, I’ve named one of the games "The Red Game" and one of the games "The Blue Game". In line with this, I’ve also put 3 red meeples and 3 blue meeples into a tile bag and have drawn and dealt one meeple to each player in alphabetical order. Here are the results:

Decar:red-meeple:
Guy:blue-meeple:
Jere:red-meeple:
MrNumbers   :blue-meeple:
Paul:red-meeple:
Rosco:blue-meeple:

To establish a seating order I split everyone into their individual groups and then listed names in order of reaction time (i.e. quickest to respond either by PM or by posting here) and then had a random number generated (from 1 to 3) to represent the starting player. These are shown below:

The Red Game
  • Paul  :( (2nd)  :meeple:
  • Jere  >:( (3rd) :red-meeple:
  • Decar ;D (starting player)  :black-meeple:
The Blue Game
  • Guy  >:( (3rd)  :green-meeple:
  • MrNumbers  ;D (starting player)  :red-meeple:
  • Rosco  :( (2nd) :black-meeple:

So now we know who's playing who there are two things everyone needs to do before the game can begin:

1 - Pick a meeple colour ( :red-meeple: :meeple: :green-meeple: :blue-meeple: :black-meeple: :gray-meeple: - let's keep it simple by not going for any of the extended colours). This is on a first come, first served basis so the race is on for the red meeple MrNumbers & Rosco (and potentially Guy too if you want to rob them both of it)!
2 - PM me with details of your 15 credit (or less) starting line-up (see here for shopping list and restrictions). Don't share your choices amongst your competitors; keep it as a nice surprise to reveal to them during the game when you need it most!  >:D

There's no rush as I'm away for a bit now. But do please try to respond before Monday 6th July so we can get going then.

Good luck everyone. Have fun, enjoy and put on a good show for all the spectators!  :) :(y)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:39:53 PM by kettlefish »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne by Forums 2015: The Red Game

Started by danisthirty

286 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 05:35:34 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Carcassonne by Forums 2015: The Blue Game

Started by danisthirty

147 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 03:14:08 PM
by Hounk
xx
Carcassonne by Forums

Started by danisthirty

375 Replies
Last post December 24, 2014, 09:44:01 AM
by Scott
xx
Carcassonne by Forums 2023

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2023, 03:39:42 PM
by DIN0
question
Why national champions are not represented on the forums?

Started by MrNumbers

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2014, 12:25:38 PM
by danisthirty