Author Topic: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?  (Read 134288 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?
« Reply #255 on: December 11, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »
That looks like the hand of a Carcassonne player...

The other nails are longer but I have trouble not biting the thumbnails...

Sheep & Hills was received pretty well quite recently after all.

I think you'll find it's called Hills and Sheep. Or maybe it is Sheep and Hills? Or Vineyards and Wolves? I've forgotten now...  :green-meeple: 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:21:25 AM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 11, 2014, 06:21:29 AM »
Sheep & Hills was received pretty well quite recently after all.

I think you'll find it's called Hills and Sheep. Or maybe it is Sheep and Hills? I've forgotten now...  :green-meeple:

I couldn't remember either so I just went with what it says under the forum profile expansion checklist.  :)

Gerry

« Reply #257 on: December 11, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
The one main regret I have is, that it came so late to this game.  It would have been nice to be a fan while HiG were  bringing out exciting large expansions like Traders and Inns and you had something to look forward to.  Anticipation is always nice.

Call it blind optimism if you like, but I'm hopeful that there are plenty such times ahead of us. Sheep & Hills was received pretty well quite recently after all.

yes, if they continue with expansions like that it would be nice

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #258 on: December 11, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »
It's not really about sides. I have my own opinions towards this version of the game, which I've already discussed, but I wouldn't deny others the opportunity to speak up for or against it (regardless of how long it's been going on for).

I own the new version of the game and I quite like it for simple, base-game only games with my wife or whoever in the same way as we play Winter Edition. I still enjoy reading other people's thoughts and criticisms though.

Chillax dude!   :meeple: 8) :(y)

Oh you guys are waaay past opinions, like months way past. And way past complaints. It's now just nagging.  :P
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Gerry

« Reply #259 on: December 11, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
I would just point out that this topic had sort of died down but kettlefish keeps posting nuggets from HiG and Z-man which gives us new stuff to chew over.

Most companies would have to pay good money to get feedback on their product lines and product changes (market research) and on this forum they are getting it for free.  No one has been especially nasty in their response to HiG though I admit to laying on the attitude a bit thick.  But I think the message from this forum has been quite clear – just keep the expansions like Hills and Sheep coming and we will buy it.  Now whether or not the people on this forum are representative of  the general buying public for the Carcassonne game I could not say.

Also you should know that I am in the Canadian mountain standard time zone , 7- 9 hours behind the rest of you.  Being able to get on here and having a bit of a rant is what gets an old guy like me out of bed in the morning.

Gerry

« Reply #260 on: December 11, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
Actually it just occurred to me that they might consider bumping up the price of any new expansions and issue them with both sets of artwork. 

Of course if the expansion included any new figures this would prevent people from splitting it between 2 people.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 11, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »
Actually it just occurred to me that they might consider bumping up the price of any new expansions and issue them with both sets of artwork. 
Best solution: every new expansion with tiles for both styles in one box! ... I think the tiles and even the wooden pieces are not so expensive.

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 11, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
Best solution: every new expansion with tiles for both styles in one box! ... I think the tiles and even the wooden pieces are not so expensive.
This would be the best solution that satisfies everyone.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Gerry

« Reply #263 on: December 12, 2014, 12:14:56 AM »
It's not really about sides. I have my own opinions towards this version of the game, which I've already discussed, but I wouldn't deny others the opportunity to speak up for or against it (regardless of how long it's been going on for).

I own the new version of the game and I quite like it for simple, base-game only games with my wife or whoever in the same way as we play Winter Edition. I still enjoy reading other people's thoughts and criticisms though.

Chillax dude!   :meeple: 8) :(y)

I notice that Danisthirty gets a Photo Credit on the Z-man game site    :(y)

http://zmangames.com/nouvelles-details.php?id=454

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 12, 2014, 01:25:33 AM »
Yes, that came as quite a surprise. I didn't even recognise the photos until I saw my name next to them, but was pleased to see that it had generated a little bit of publicity for Carcassonne Central in the process!

The original pictures were posted on these forums here and here. Nobody had forwarded these to Z-Man games or made them aware that we had them as far as I'm aware so be careful, we're being watched!  C:-)

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 16, 2014, 05:49:19 PM »
The one main regret I have is, that it came so late to this game.  It would have been nice to be a fan while HiG were  bringing out exciting large expansions like Traders and Inns and you had something to look forward to.  Anticipation is always nice.

Call it blind optimism if you like, but I'm hopeful that there are plenty such times ahead of us. Sheep & Hills was received pretty well quite recently after all.
Well, maybe the new Edition might be your chance! :)

yes, if they continue with expansions like that it would be nice

Of course if the expansion included any new figures this would prevent people from splitting it between 2 people.
Hm, this would be a good compromise, but still: who should illustrate the tiles?!
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #266 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:12 PM »
I'm gonna come out as the naysayer here and state that expansions printed with twice the number of tiles to satisfy fans of both styles would never fly, won't ever be a thing, would be economically unfeasible, and would be downright confusing. It's just not going to happen. Hans im Glück said it themselves: the tiles, in their eyes, are compatible. If they decide to replace the expansions with new-art versions, then they will. People will have to decide when they buy them if they want to hunt down old versions or go for the versions readily available on the store shelves. I'm guessing most people will go for the easy ones, even if they own an old version of Carcassonne. Most probably won't even be too horrified to discover they are different versions. They technically will work together just fine. Future versions of old expansions will undoubtedly have gardens printed on some tiles, and I fully expect a future expansion to take advantage of the larger villages and houses printed on the tiles.

I think we won't know the future of Carcassonne until mid-2015 when new expansions, if any, are announced. I suspect the next Big Box may be the first major signal to tell us if they're going full new-art or not. If they make a Big Box with the old art, I doubt they are sticking with the new art commercially. It will just become another novelty. But if they go all out to update the Big Box with new art for all its included expansions (whatever those may be), then I think we can kiss our old art goodbye permanently. We just have to wait and see.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #267 on: December 24, 2014, 08:28:27 AM »
Yes, that came as quite a surprise. I didn't even recognise the photos until I saw my name next to them, but was pleased to see that it had generated a little bit of publicity for Carcassonne Central in the process!

The original pictures were posted on these forums here and here. Nobody had forwarded these to Z-Man games or made them aware that we had them as far as I'm aware so be careful, we're being watched!  C:-)

I think Kalinda saw them in one of the newsletters. She sent me an e-mail asking if she could use them on the FAQ page and I suspected you would be ok with that.

Offline thehindujesus

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »
I'm sorry if this has already been asked.  Is it confirmed whether or not future expansions (mini, full, or otherwise) will be exclusively released with the new artwork?  I spent a few months completing my collection and finished right around the time this new version was released.  I will be kind of disappointed if any future expansions will not match the art style of my current collection, as that would make my entire collection completely obsolete.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »
It isn't known what direction they will go in for future expansions, although many people suspect that they will be in the new artwork only.

But this wouldn't make your collection obsolete. You can still enjoy playing our beloved game with our beloved artwork and its current expansions for many years to come no matter what happens with the future of the game.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
clip
No Carcassonne Expansion 7 new edition

Started by ozgurceylan

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2017, 03:31:49 AM
by Hounk
xx
Carcassonne Expansion 6 new edition