Author Topic: YAER - Keyboard Active with Game Overview onscreen  (Read 2585 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
YAER - Keyboard Active with Game Overview onscreen
« on: December 30, 2014, 07:49:46 AM »
Farin:

YAER - Yet Another Enhancement Request.

At the end of a game, the Game Overview screen appears, with the playing area behind it.

While the Game Overview dialogue box is visible, it has the focus.  All keystrokes are directed to it.

Would it be possible to have keyboard output still directed to the playing area while the Game Overview is visible?  Specificially, the X and F keys, so you can turn on and off the Farm Hints, and the last tile placements.

I am finding that while trying to understand how a game ended, these two items can be useful, but they can also obscure some of the meeple placements, and depending on the colours used, some of the scores shown on the playing area.  By being able to turn on or off the Farm Hints and the last tile placements, you will be able to see the play area better.

This does mean redirecting keyboard output to either the Game Overview dialogue box or the main window, depending on which keys are pressed.  Therefore, this may not be possible.  It it is possible, it could be very useful.

Thank you, and Happy New Year!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1384.0
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: YAER - Keyboard Active with Game Overview onscreen
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 02:43:28 AM »
As far as I am aware, you can turn on these requested features using a mouse, through "Window" menu (just tested it). So, if it is enough for you, this request can be canceled.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
Perhaps we can see how Farin comments before deciding if this request should be canceled??

Maybe I am old school, but when a keyboard equivalent is provided for a mouse movement, I tend to expect both to be available at the same time.  If you are using the mouse, you should be able to do almost everything with the mouse, without bouncing between the keyboard and mouse.  Ditto with keyboard comments - good design means that when there are keyboard shortcuts, you should be able to keep your hands on the keyboard, not bouncing between mouse and keyboard.

Also, there is an issue with how these work when the game end dialogue box appears.  Even though both are turned off, they are clicked as if they are active on the menu.  In other words, to turn either on, you must click it twice.   Even if Farin considers this request to be one he can skip, the menu display does represent a bug.  Below is a screen shot showing the two items checked as if active, but clearly not showing on the board.

Offline farin

• Duke
  • Merit: 44
  • JCloisterZone maintainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 02:30:47 PM »
Hi

For some reaons, game overview dialog was converted to semi-transparent panel.
(I needed space for Leave game (return to lobby when playing through play server) and Play again)

So in current dev version thare is'n such issue, it's in single window
But it can be too big, so now I tuning apperance and considering some minimizeing or hiding funcionality.
In fact it would be nice to be able make minimize/hide control panel.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Collection Overview (*.doc-file) Need Help for Translation

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

4 Replies
Last post September 22, 2017, 12:12:17 PM
by Willem
xx
JCZ keYboArd

Started by rfielder

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2014, 11:08:09 AM
by rfielder
xx
Where are you most active online?

Started by cicerunner

9 Replies
Last post May 25, 2021, 10:37:04 AM
by cicerunner
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
xx
Superbowl Sunday: 2-player game (base game + I&C)

Started by Scott

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:36:40 AM
by Scott