Poll

Which versions of the River do you own or want to own?

I already own all three versions of the River.
31 (41.9%)
I own only the River I and II, but I think the River (III) is essential to completing my collection.
10 (13.5%)
I own only the River I and II, and I think that's enough for a complete collection.
25 (33.8%)
I own only one river and I think that's enough for a complete collection.
3 (4.1%)
I don't own any versions of the river.
0 (0%)
Other (please explain below).
5 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #3: The River  (Read 25686 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Completionism Poll #3: The River
« on: January 25, 2016, 02:06:42 AM »
The Completionism Poll is a weekly series where we ask how much of a completionist you are by breaking the game down into different expansions and elements. This week we look at the River, with a specific focus on the so-called River (III) from Big Box 5.

The River (River I) was released in 2001. It has variously been attached to copies of the base game or available as a mini-expansion.

The River II was released in 2005 and was later packaged with the expansion King, Count and Robber (2008). It contains a fork in the river, some different tile configurations, and it also has expansion features on it (an inn, a volcano tile and a pig herd tile).

In 2014, Big Box 5 included a new version of the River I. The tile configuration is the same but there are expansion elements from Hills and Sheep (two tiles with vineyards and two with sheep).

Do you consider the new River to be the River III and is it therefore something that must be owned, or is it just the River I repackaged and therefore not worthy of purchase? How many rivers is enough rivers for your collection? Vote in the poll and discuss your thoughts below.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2376.0

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Re: Completionism Poll #3: The River
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:03:55 AM »
I own I and II, which I consider to be enough for a complete collection. However, I would like to own III for its contribution to other expansions, namely, the sheep and the vineyards. If anyone has a spare copy, I would be interested in buying it.

I voted for option three though, because as I said, I consider I and III a reprint. I wouldn't play with I, II and III in Mega-Carcassonne, whereas I have played with I and II together. III would replace I, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:34:31 AM by Christopher »
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:28:46 AM »
I own I and II, which I consider to be enough for a complete collection.

This is my view too, so I voted the same. I'm sure I would buy III if I came across it at a good price, but I'm not actively looking for it and I consider my collection complete without it. Of the new things that came in BB5, the language-independent Wheel of Fortune start tile was the most important thing for me, since I only had the German version of Wheel of Fortune. So I bought that separately from the Carcassonne Shoppe before it closed, rather than buying the entire Big Box 5, which would have also given me the River III.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:53:14 AM »
Other!  8)

I bought a Big Box 5 last year swapped the River III for the River I keeping the Wheel of Fortune tiles.
I then gloriously gifted the box to nephews.

They got a nice Carcassonne starter pack and I got two strikes on my collection.

I do nevertheless consider River I and III to be the same just with a different art more like River I and I.I  ;)
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 04:26:29 AM »
I have the Kings, Counts & Robbers/Consorts version and the Big Box 5 version - so I have II & III (at least that's how it appears to me...)

edit (in light of Guy's post below) and I have GQ11 :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:29:33 AM by hunnymonster »
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline Guy

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 04:28:11 AM »
Just to throw another variable in: Is your river collection complete if you don't have the GQ11 river tiles...?
I play orange

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 04:38:38 AM »
Just to throw another variable in: Is your river collection complete if you don't have the GQ11 river tiles...?

Q. Is your collection complete if you don't own the GQ11 expansion?
A. No!  :P

It seems unlikely that you would have the GQ11 expansion minus the River tiles, and given that I'm assuming most completionists have GQ, this probably doesn't come up!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:42:26 AM »
I own all 3, but have never included them all in one game and probably never will.

I'm sure we'll all have different ideas about it, but as a completionist I'm content that I have River 1 & 2 as boxed mini-expansions as well as from other sources (River 1: Z-Man Games box and as a sheet from Cundco, River 2: Count, King & Consort).

Interesting question about GQ#11. I would say that my River collection was complete without it, but of course, my overall collection wouldn't be complete without it.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 04:50:55 AM »
Re: GQ11, I considered including it but adding extra variables and overcomplicating things makes the polls more difficult to create. So feel free to discuss it by all means, but for the poll I was more thinking about how the River (III) fits into our ideas of completionism.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 05:23:17 AM »
I have river II and III (the one from the big box). Seems enough for me. GQ-tiles are ofcourse welcome but I do not consider them as essential for River-purposes.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:42:38 AM »
I don't know why Scandinavia insist on having the river included in several releases. I got like a thousand river tiles. x_x Ok, maybe not that much but feels like it!

Base games and Inns & Cathedrals always comes with the river, and sometimes it's not even mentioned in the box cover or back, which is weird. :)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 05:55:35 AM »
I have the Kings, Counts & Robbers/Consorts version and the Big Box 5 version - so I have II & III (at least that's how it appears to me...)

edit (in light of Guy's post below) and I have GQ11 :)
same here, but I will get original river I, because it was until just recently a big and important part of Carcassonne. Big box 5 version is better in every way  thus replacing it, but I feel like I still have to get it because it deserves an honorable place in my collection :orange-meeple: :black1-meeple: :gray-meeple:

Offline Gabrielgeek01

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 06:01:45 AM »
I own River II as part of the 6. Expansion (Count, King and Robber).
I also have the BB5 River.
Finally, I have the GQ11 River tiles, which I consider an expansion of River II (since one is IDENTICAL with one of the River I/III tiles).
Don't miss the original River at all.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 08:09:51 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their contributions so far!

I'm sure we'll all have different ideas about it, but as a completionist I'm content that I have River 1 & 2 as boxed mini-expansions as well as from other sources (River 1: Z-Man Games box and as a sheet from Cundco, River 2: Count, King & Consort).

In the hope of starting a *friendly* discussion on the sidelines of the River topic, here goes.  8)

This type of thing came up in an off-air discussion I had with Whaleyland. I used to be a non-completionist, and now I'm a 'light' completionist, whereas you are more like an uber-completionist (as long as you're happy with that term!). And this is where I think the uber-completionists have 'lost' me: am I right in saying that the tiles of the individual boxed versions and the other versions you mentioned are exactly the same? If so, I personally don't see the point/benefit in having both simply because of the manner of release.

To give another example: I have the King and Robber Baron from King, Count and Consort. I semi-recently bought H&G in Spain, and it contained the King and Scout expansion. So now I have two versions of the King. My first and only thought was that I have two identical versions of the same expansion and I don't want or need both, so I was planning to give it away as part of your giveaway this year (if you do it again). Would you (or others) want to keep both only because they were released in two different ways?

Have at it.  O0

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »
Would you (or others) want to keep both only because they were released in two different ways?

No!
I agree with you, if it's the same tiles with the same art I don't see them as different collectibles just on the "origin" account.
Now if the "functional" art is different I would consider keeping the most complete set or both, only, if they apply differently to the game.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
Completionism Poll #1: Cathars, Siege and Besiegers

Started by jungleboy

50 Replies
Last post April 30, 2017, 07:20:58 PM