Author Topic: JCloisterZone 2.7  (Read 31584 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
Re: JCloisterZone 2.7
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »
Undo function bug, if I may call it that: If I have no meeples in stack I can't use the undo function after placing a tile. The turn ends immediately and it's the next player's turn.
That is the scenario that is a programmer's nightmare.  The best way to get it resolved it to talk about it, see how the players think it could be handled.

The issue is that, in the real game, you turn does end at that point.  There is nothing to wait for - you have nothing to play, so the turn goes to the next player.  Sorry for stating the obvious, but this is the issue for a computerized version of the game.  With nothing to play, how can the game pause to give you the opportunity to Undo the tile placement?  It means the computerized version of the game must do something different than you would do in a real game.

Should a banner appear where the meeple would appear, saying something like "Click to continue"?  Or should it be a timeout, give the player 5 seconds to select Undo or else the turn progresses? 

In either case, I would suggest the option of when to proceed could be set on the opening page, where you select expansions and some other rule variations.

Anyone else have alternatives?
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 07:01:43 AM »
Obvious solution: the same "Skip" button should appear, even when you are out of followers, as a confirmation of turn end. If you have followers, deploying the follower is your turn confirmation. Otherwise - "skip" button.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:03:40 AM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »
Obvious solution: the same "Skip" button should appear, even when you are out of followers, as a confirmation of turn end. If you have followers, deploying the follower is your turn confirmation. Otherwise - "skip" button.

Agree.  :(y)

Always have the Skip or rather an End Turn button and put it somewhere more visible, perhaps under all the stats / players.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
Always have the Skip or rather an End Turn button and put it somewhere more visible, perhaps under all the stats / players.
I would suggest that having only the same Skip button visible in this situation is not sufficient.  From a user interface viewpoint, it would be confusing, because the same button now means something different.

Having it change it's label - End Turn, or Continue - would be better, IMHO.

What about the idea of a variable, user set timeout to go along with it?  I don't want someone forgetting, getting up to get a drink or a bathroom break, and leaving the game stuck.  Or, even worse, spending 5 minutes thinking about it.....  Say 15 or 30 seconds as a default, but can be changed on the setup page.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 10:59:48 AM »
A timer is not something I'm fond of, but then again if it's implemented that timer starts after the tile is placed and lasts 2 mins I can live with that.

Offline farin

• Duke
  • Merit: 44
  • JCloisterZone maintainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 04:12:48 AM »
Skip button will be used (probably with a different label) but I want to make it optional. So you should be abte to enable turn auto end

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
Skip button will be used (probably with a different label) but I want to make it optional. So you should be abte to enable turn auto end
Although I agree, one thing that would make it even more useful is if JCZ would save it's current state.

That way, if I do set flags, they would be set the next time I play.  Although it is fun to experiement, I suspect that many play the game using the same options every time.

Again, having selections be persistent could also be controlled with a flag.

At this rate, you are going to have to turn the setup page into a tabbed entity, for all the options that users will have!   :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »
rfielder
All the options are stored in "config.yaml" file. So, if you want the same options every time, you can edit this file with Notepad and set all the options as you want them to be.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:47 PM »
All the options are stored in "config.yaml" file. So, if you want the same options every time, you can edit this file with Notepad and set all the options as you want them to be.
I use the UltraEdit32 programming editor for stuff like this.

However, that kind of misses the point - those of us comfortable hacking a config file are in the minority.

Gerry

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 06:33:34 PM »
I just tried this for the first time.

As Will Smith would say in  Men in Black    "Now that's what I am talking about  -  DAM"

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 02:17:58 AM »
Would a tutorial posted here for editing (sounds nicer than hacking) the file be something you guys want?

:meeple:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »
What kind of stuff would a tutorial include? Sounds like it could be useful but the only thing I've seen that I'd really want to change is the speed at which AI players place tiles...

Gerry

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 01:25:16 PM »
What kind of stuff would a tutorial include? Sounds like it could be useful but the only thing I've seen that I'd really want to change is the speed at which AI players place tiles...

Good point the speed of AI was too fast for me.

I opened the CONFIG.JAML file with notepad and changed

ai_place_tile_delay: 250 # miliseconds to wait before computer player place tile

to

ai_place_tile_delay: 2250 # miliseconds to wait before computer player place tile

it is a lot easier to see what is happening.

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
jcloisterzone saves won't load
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »

Anybody else have this problem? I have the latest version of jcloisterzone and java, but whenever i save a game and then try to load it, it never gets past the "start game" screen. Any workarounds for this?

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
Anybody else have this problem? I have the latest version of jcloisterzone and java, but whenever i save a game and then try to load it, it never gets past the "start game" screen. Any workarounds for this?
I had this with V2.6.   Have not tried with 2.7.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
JCloisterZone... mia

Started by Reggie777

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2016, 11:15:21 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Game on jcloisterzone now

Started by Rosco

8 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 04:35:46 PM
by rfielder
question
JCloisterZone Shepherd field closed scoring(Hills & Sheep)

Started by qwe45

8 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 11:59:37 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
game on jcloisterzone now?

Started by Rosco

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2014, 05:50:37 AM
by danisthirty
xx
JCloisterZone 5.0.0 is under way