Author Topic: Mega Carcassonne  (Read 9820 times)

Offline hexanauta

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Hello world!
    • View Profile
    • Hexanauta
Mega Carcassonne
« on: March 23, 2016, 02:30:11 PM »
Hey guys,

I hope you are well. I would like to host a Mega Carcassonne event along with my friendly local game shop, but I'm not sure what exactly I need in order to successfully make it. These are some of my questions:

- How many copies of the base game do I need?

- Should I include expansions? If so, how many copies of each expansion do I need?

- Is there any specific guide on how to mix all the expansions when doing something like this?

- What are the most common issues you have when doing an event like this?

- What's the maximum numbers of participants?

- How many hours you estimate for an event like this one?

Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2559.0

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Carcassonne
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 02:46:52 PM »
Exciting question!

There are some guidelines on Mega-Carcassonne (in the complete annotated rules, available in downloads), but you can play however you like. I usually play with two copies of the base game and one of every expansion, but that's just my preference. You'll likely only be able to play with six players, unless you have purchased extra player sets. Or you could play in teams. More than six though will really slow things down. With six players playing Mega-Carc, you're looking at several hours at least. Maybe five/six? Depending on how quick people are.

Make sure you have a copy of the Complete Annotated Rules handy, and check out Bolieroo's flowchart for handy, easy to read help on mixing expansions (http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2374.msg34463#msg34463)

Issues I have found, not to put too fine a point on it, are that people get bored in between goes! With six players choosing from lots of placement options, it can get quite slow. Give plenty of tea breaks!

I've jumped in quickly here, but I'm sure the more veteran players will have more advice!

Also, I don't think I've seen a post from you before, so - welcome!

Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
Welcome to Carcassonne Central.

You may be interested in hearing one of out forum members is starting a largest game of Carcassonnerecord attempt tomorrow. They are planning over 10k of tiles in around 40hrs!

The largest game of Carcassonne I've played was at  meetup in Rugby last year. We played with 4 or 5 mini expansions we developed and 3 base game boxes. We had 7-8 players and ot took around 3.5 to 4hrs to complete. We did break for lunch.

How long do you want to host the event for?

How many people do you want to participate?

I would recommend some simple expansions and use a variant to allow players to buy back trapped meeple, rather than leave them waiting for that certain tile.

Hope that's helpful, we should be able to target your needs a little better with some more information.  I'm guessing most of your players are quiet experienced carcassonne players?

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »
Welcome!

Make sure you take a look here, there are many megaCarcassonne reviews. http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?board=3.0

My definition of a mega Carcassonne game is that I take a base game with a lot of expansions. Making a total of around 400-500 tiles. But it is an opinion.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 01:12:09 AM »
Great reply Mr Numbers, that's actually a great questions for Carcassonne players: what's the most number of players you've had in a game.  Has anyone had all 11-12 meeple colours active in one game, has anyone had more?

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 01:20:20 AM »
Largest was 4 I think..but sadly only those 4 know most of the rules.. but not all of them

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 01:28:43 AM »
Great reply Mr Numbers, that's actually a great questions for Carcassonne players: what's the most number of players you've had in a game.  Has anyone had all 11-12 meeple colours active in one game, has anyone had more?

Ours was 6 player game, which was before the official 7th and 8th in the Big Box. I'm certainly interested watching a 12 player game.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline hexanauta

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Hello world!
    • View Profile
    • Hexanauta
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 03:42:41 AM »
Exciting question!

There are some guidelines on Mega-Carcassonne (in the complete annotated rules, available in downloads), but you can play however you like. I usually play with two copies of the base game and one of every expansion, but that's just my preference. You'll likely only be able to play with six players, unless you have purchased extra player sets. Or you could play in teams. More than six though will really slow things down. With six players playing Mega-Carc, you're looking at several hours at least. Maybe five/six? Depending on how quick people are.

Make sure you have a copy of the Complete Annotated Rules handy, and check out Bolieroo's flowchart for handy, easy to read help on mixing expansions (http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2374.msg34463#msg34463)

Issues I have found, not to put too fine a point on it, are that people get bored in between goes! With six players choosing from lots of placement options, it can get quite slow. Give plenty of tea breaks!

I've jumped in quickly here, but I'm sure the more veteran players will have more advice!

Also, I don't think I've seen a post from you before, so - welcome!

Hey Christopher,

Thanks for the welcome!  :violet-meeple:

I'm not sure how many we would be, my flgs usually hosts tournaments and they get between 10-20 participants depending on the game.

Welcome to Carcassonne Central.

You may be interested in hearing one of out forum members is starting a largest game of Carcassonnerecord attempt tomorrow. They are planning over 10k of tiles in around 40hrs!

The largest game of Carcassonne I've played was at  meetup in Rugby last year. We played with 4 or 5 mini expansions we developed and 3 base game boxes. We had 7-8 players and ot took around 3.5 to 4hrs to complete. We did break for lunch.

How long do you want to host the event for?

How many people do you want to participate?

I would recommend some simple expansions and use a variant to allow players to buy back trapped meeple, rather than leave them waiting for that certain tile.

Hope that's helpful, we should be able to target your needs a little better with some more information.  I'm guessing most of your players are quiet experienced carcassonne players?

Hey Decar,

Thanks for your response. I think between 5 and 6 hours is okay, we could take a break for lunch. In regards to the number of participants I think the best thing is to determine a limit by myself because otherwise lot of people will participate. My flgs hosts tournaments and they usually get between 10-20 participants, probably I won't get so many as not everyone is willing to spend 5-6 hours playing.

Ours was 6 player game, which was before the official 7th and 8th in the Big Box. I'm certainly interested watching a 12 player game.

6-player game sounds like a nice number!

Hello, hexanauta!

Here are more interesting topics for you to examine:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=713.0
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=759.0
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1311.0
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1595.0

Fantastic! I'll have a look at those right away.

Welcome!

Make sure you take a look here, there are many megaCarcassonne reviews. http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?board=3.0

My definition of a mega Carcassonne game is that I take a base game with a lot of expansions. Making a total of around 400-500 tiles. But it is an opinion.

Thanks! I'll have a look at this one too. I only own two copies of the base game but I could ask some friends to bring their copies in order to reach those numbers.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 03:50:07 AM »
Be carefull though when using only the base game. If you only take the base game, I think the game would be less interessting when playing 4-5 hours.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 03:52:20 AM »
Be carefull though when using only the base game. If you only take the base game, I think the game would be less interessting when playing 4-5 hours.

I can attest to that!

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 04:06:46 AM »

I agree, I would definitely include some expansions to keep it interesting. Just the base game could get a bit monotonous. But you can add more copies of the base game to balance things out a bit if you're adding lots of expansions.

The most players I have ever had is 12, but I cheated and had teams of two. Really, there were only six player sets in use. But you could consider this if you had more people that wanted to play.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 04:43:41 AM »

I've never played an in-person game with more than 4 players. :(

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 04:48:16 AM »
I've played once with 11 players - some years ago.
We used the rules from the base game and 1st and 2nd expansion.
To get enough tiles - I put twice the base game, and the both expansions and tiles from many of my printed fan-expansions.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »
I'm sure there will be time for a big game at Essen :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Mega Carcassonne Tile Balancing

Started by Christopher

7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 02:24:54 AM
by Christopher
clip
First game of (kinda) Mega Carcassonne

Started by carca82

18 Replies
Last post October 10, 2022, 09:30:37 AM