Author Topic: "Mega Carcassonne" at the 2016 UK Games Expo (maybe)  (Read 47560 times)

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
Re: "Mega Carcassonne" at the 2016 UK Games Expo (maybe)
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2016, 04:34:06 AM »
As Dan trailered, I finished up just outside the qualifying positions yesterday.

My results were a joint-1st (tied with asparagus's daughter, I think?), a 2nd place (that game also included danisthirty) and a win in my last game. That was enough to bag me 9 tournament points, a total which some people qualified with, but unfortunately I just missed out on the quarter finals on points difference.

I then won my final position-deciding game, which placed me 9th overall in the tournament.

Playing competitive four player is very interesting from a strategic point of view. I tended to get big chunks of my points by working together with other players to build cities. Trapping also becomes a little less valuable, unless you can catch multiple opponents at once.

This was the first time I have played in a live Carcassonne tournament and I really enjoyed the day. Thanks very much for organising it ScottMoore!

:green-meeple:

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2016, 06:20:24 AM »
I had a great time at the tournament despite not faring too well. I didn't have very high hopes anyway but I felt really off my game. I'm definitely not used to four player games and I vastly overestimated how many turns I had so I was never quick enough with farmers.

I ended up coming 2nd/3rd/4th coming 2nd in my final game (I believe I was playing against asparagus who won the match).

Great write up Dan on your games! Sorry we kept missing each other but was good to have a quick catch up with JT between games.

I feel I've learnt a lot for next year so I hope to enter again and hopefully do a bit better! Was a really in day though. Thanks Scott for organising everything.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2016, 07:32:43 AM »
Many thanks to Dan and Scott for spending the time to write a thorough analysis of the games played & to the others for their thoughts on the competition too.  It sounded like a tough competition this year especially.  I'm sorry I missed it; instead I got to play some boardgames on at friend's stag do, which was a pretty good alternative!

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2016, 11:26:20 PM »
I had a great time at the tournament despite not faring too well. I didn't have very high hopes anyway but I felt really off my game. I'm definitely not used to four player games and I vastly overestimated how many turns I had so I was never quick enough with farmers.
Yeah I probably blocked too much and did too little farming (or farming that was too ineffective).

I ended up coming 2nd/3rd/4th coming 2nd in my final game (I believe I was playing against asparagus who won the match).
Seems about right. As I recall yellow came second (with some nice cities) so I guess that must have been you. The big moment of the game, as I see it, was when red did not play the CCCR monastery in its obvious place. This meant I had an easy time controlling the big farm and otherwise the results would have been different.

Great write up Dan on your games! ....I feel I've learnt a lot for next year so I hope to enter again and hopefully do a bit better! Was a really in day though. Thanks Scott for organising everything.

seconded

Offline jazbang

• Labourer
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »
Delighted to hear that I lost to the eventual winner!  A thoroughly nice bloke he was too. Well done Andrew.

Having romped to victory in the early stages only to crash out in the quarter finals - I can finally claim to be a true British sportsperson.

It was great to see some familiar faces (including Dan) as well as new ones, really enjoyed it.

"May the tiles ever fall in your favour"

Offline torminalis

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2016, 10:32:11 AM »
Hello,

I'm Andrew, I've just registered too try and add what I remember of my games.

First of all I have to say a big thank you to ScottMoore and the other members of Halesowen Boardgamers for there work setting up and running the tournament. There may have been fewer entrants this year but I got the impression the standard was quite high. I was pleased this year when I saw that the top table was extended this year with more players as my two player game is stronger than my 4 player one.  So if I managed to place the same as last year then I’d be ok.

The down side was that I’d not prepared as well this year as I did last. I only ‘sort’ of knew the tile distribution and I’d not played any practice games.  I’d been preparing for the Agricola tournament that in the end I didn’t play in taking part in ticket to ride for fun instead.

I helped set the tables up, because who doesn’t want to unwrap lots of new games and after this sat down and crammed the distribution.

Next I have to confess that if I knew I was going to do a little write up on the games I played I would have made more of an effort to remember the details.

Of my first 3 I only really remember the middle one on which I played very badly at the start with some very poor meepel placement. Then a large city was shared by all the other players so I was well and truly last. With some care I got out of the mess of my own making but I was still trailing the pack. Fortunately at this point I was in a shared city which was shaping up well.  The other player in it drew the final tile to close it. It took me some effort to convince him to close it, even though it secured him the win. Then the rest of us shared (and I’ve never seen this before)  2nd place, which only gave me one point but I was happy to take it.

The other 2 4 player games I won I’m afraid I don’t remember the specifics of at all.

I must admit that I wasn’t that confident of making the top table at this point. I’d got the impression that there had been several people getting good results with a much starker split than last year when several people had the same number of points and it came to tie breaker.

So it was with some relief I was placed into almost the last slot (based on a percentage of points difference ?). I was initially paired with the person who was incorrectly picked out, he knew it was wrong and was a little confused and not upset at all when he was told it was incorrect.  His partner got the 8th slot and I think she was thrilled at this as it was the first time they completed and he was pleased for her.

Again for my 2 player games my memory of the details is limited.

In the first of my games against James I had a nice flow of scoring and lead all the way through.

I’m most pleased with my 2nd 2 player game as I managed to completely lock all but one of John's meeples up fairly early on.  This included some neat road placement to create an impossible space. It’s at this point that my rusty grasp of the tile distribution failed me. I did think I had them all locked however it reality one could have been freed but in the end I picked this tile. Then I missed the ball on farmers. However as I had built all the cities it didn’t matter but I’m still annoyed with myself on this.

The 3rd game was the closest of my 2 player ones Jeff played very well ,  I managed to ease ahead however it felt close most of the way. We had attracted a small crowd and I was a bit embarrassed as it I suspect it looked like a very ordinary game.  Also towards the end I was getting tried and once I had the win the adrenaline started to drop and I nearly missed a fairly obvious farmer placement .

Still all in all I have to say I’m very pleased, I’ve been looking for an excuse to go to Essen for some years and I think this is a reasonable one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:44:17 AM by torminalis, Reason: words = wrong »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »
Welcome to the forums torminalis, and congratulations on your win! Thanks too for sharing your story of the championships...

If you're keen to hone your skills before the world championships then you've come to the right place! There are no shortage of people here who are always up for an online game using JCloisterZone or perhaps iOS/ Android app if you prefer? Please drop me an email if you'd like to arrange something, I believe Scott forwarded you my email address?

Best regards,
Dan
 :) :(y)

Offline torminalis

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
Thanks for you kind words Jazbang, I'd prepped my post up in word and I didn't reflect what you said as I started this before you posted

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »
A few more for the 2016 welcome tournament?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »
Welcome to Carcassonne Central. Let me know if you'd like to koin the Welcome Tournament. You'd be very welcome!

Offline ScottMoore

• Villein
  • Merit: 6
  • Halesowen Boardgamers
    • View Profile
    • Halesowen Boardgamers
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2016, 02:34:31 PM »
The results of the Carcassonne and other boardgame tournaments at the UK Games Expo are now online here:
http://halesowenboardgamers.org.uk/expotournaments/2016/overall.htm

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
Thanks Scott!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
thumbup
UK Games Expo 2016

Started by asparagus

0 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 12:20:06 PM
by asparagus
xx
A copy of "Die Belagerer" for either "Die Katharer" or "Die Kornkreise I"