Author Topic: The Flier - why no farmers?  (Read 8089 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
The Flier - why no farmers?
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:06:14 AM »
We have The Flier mini integrated into our game.  Surprisingly, we seldom use it, but it can be most useful once in a while.

I do not wish to change the rules, but I really don't understand why you can not fly and land as a farmer.  What is the purpose of this limitation?

Thanks in advance!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=714.0
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: The Flier - why no farmers?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:35:39 PM »
I've often wondered the same thing. We've played it that you can land on a farm as a house rule and it works fine.

The only thing I can think is they wanted the player to have a chance to miss a feature altogether. If the flyer could land on farms - and must land on a feature if it can - you could end up on some lame farm - and stuck till game end.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:37:45 AM »
I would have to suspect it was something that got chopped in playtesting. Maybe it was too powerful, or maybe it was too boring, or maybe it was too restrictive (like Carcking said, getting stuck on a bad farm would be a drag, so maybe it made people not want to take that risk). The fact that they specifically prohibit it in the official rules makes me think that they considered allowing it but then decided it didn't work.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:43:21 AM »
Has anyone here tried allowing flying farmers as a house rule?  If so, how did it work?

As to the small farms and getting stuck - when you role the dice, you need to consider the tiles you may fly to.  If that is an issue, don't take the chance!

I can see allowing flying farmers would upset the balance of power in some games.  You may have a very nice farm that is closed off, and your farmer is far enough from the edge to avoid towers.  Allowing someone to fly in a farmer might have a detrimental impact on your state of mind....  :)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »
I would see two drawbacks with flying farmers atm.

1. Closed of areas a player has rightfully managed to take for himself suddenly gets shared or conquered by one single tile placement. The dice roll is not enough randomized.
2. Non-closed areas are still easy target to land on, on an opponents area compared to the minimum 2 tiles needed to get in on that field.

If there can be some sort of consequence(s) or another effect, I might consider this, perhaps can only land on a field with no followers at all, to reach tough areas.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Question about the Flier

Started by Tomoto_17

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2020, 07:06:30 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Flier, Halflings and German Castles interactions

Started by cidervampire

23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 03:52:59 AM