Author Topic: 2017 Basegame League - Round 9  (Read 5027 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
2017 Basegame League - Round 9
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:46:02 AM »
ROUND 9

Start date: Now! (17th May 2017)
End date: 30th May 2017 - any matches not played by the end of this date will be forfeited... :( :(n)
(parent thread)

Match 63: Halfling vs. khalidqasrawi (2 - 0 to khalidqasrawi)
Match 64: Chooselife vs. Rich_The_Fish (tie)
Match 65: Merlin_89 vs. What If? (tie)
Match 66: MrNumbers vs. Jéré (2 - 0 to MrNumbers)
Match 67: glh510 vs. TheSteveAllen (2 - 0 to glh510)
Match 68: Leven vs. Rosco (2 - 0 to Leven)
Match 69: Hounk vs. danisthirty (tie)
sitting out: Adrornalin (sorry) :(

Please use this thread to post scores, screenshots and post-match reports. Good luck everyone!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3332.0
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:55:41 PM by danisthirty »

Offline glh510

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Basegame League - Round 9
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
Game 1: GLH510 (Home)  :green-meeple: 100 : TheSteveAllen  :yellow-meeple: 75
Game 2: TheSteveAllen (Home)  :green-meeple: 107 : GLH510  :black1-meeple: 119

2 Games decided by the farm majority.
In the first game we started early with the farm fight. We created a perfect spot for a road cloister. But we had to wait nearly till the end of the game for them to come.
As there was no progress on the farm i went for a unfinished city with lot of pennants. I got the cloister which gave me a tie on the farm and 9 points. Lucky me :-)

Second game. 3 small cities from the start , so farm battle continued :-)
This time a tie was not enough for me  :-\ . Steve run out of tiles so i could
hold the farm till the end.

Good fight, good night :-)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »
MrNumbers vs. Jéré - 2:0.
87:80
88:80

First game was all about farm. You probably know such games, when many tiny cities start to show up on one farm, and fight for the farm begins. We added farmers one by one, and in the end, when only 2 tiles left, it was all about cloister tile - if Jéré would draw it, he would connect another farmer to the main farm, and the game would be lost for me. Additionally, Jéré lost his first player advantage, as cccc tile went out of the game.

Second game was different: it started with a city, where each of us had one meeple, soon I put other meeple somewhere above without any purpose to connect, but tiles went that way, that I could possibly connect the second meeple to fast growing city. There were many places to close, but again tiles were good to me and in 3 consequent moves I left with need only in cccf tile to close it! Jéré even wrote me in the chat "wow" :D There were 2 such tiles left and soon enough I received it and scored 30 points. When I decided to attack the main farm in order to secure a victory for myself, so in one moment I had only one meeple in hand, but Jéré had 6! My opponent decided not to fight back for the farm, instead he started to score all unfinished features around, and also he connected some of my meeples to the farm in order not to let me score some cities twice. In the end I was surprised how close the score was! Jéré almost succeeded in his strategy, maybe in a couple more turns he could outscore me.

Thanks for very exciting game, Jéré! ;)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:31:29 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Report added »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »
:red-meeple: Rosco (starting) vs :violet-meeple: Leven 90:115

The game was decided by farming. As you can see the final PD is less than the value of the largest farm (I should rather say THE farm as 9 out of the 10 completed cities bordered this farm), so Rosco could have won the game if he had joined a fifth farmer there. Luckily I drew the tile that he needed to do that.

We will play the second game tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:52:35 PM by Leven »

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 05:33:52 AM »
We've played the second game on Android. Here is the result:

:violet-meeple: Leven (starting) vs :red-meeple: Rosco 88:81

For most of the game Rosco was ahead, but had some trapped meeple, and for the final few tiles he didn't have meeple at all in his supply. This gave me the opportunity to turn the outcome of the game in my favour.
Thanks for these great and exciting games, Rosco, good luck for the rest of the tournament.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:51:44 AM by Leven »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
I was lucky at least in my "home game" against Dan. Although he trapped the thief from my very first tile quite early (wished, I would have placed him as a monk), I got two "instant cloisters" which gave me a nice lead, one of them also connecting my farmer. I also got the right tiles to stael a 12 point city from Dan and to trap one of his farmers next to a RRRR hole, the appropriate tile already placed. Final score 101:90.

Unfortunately, I was not as lucky with the tiles twice that evening, but regarding this Dan will post the report. ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
Here is the result of my second game with Hounk this evening:

I was the home player for this game and got off to a fortunate start with some good tiles that I could make use of. Hounk's early efforts were focussed on a city in the East which I tried to steal into, but was thwarted from the North by another of Hounk's knights. I applied a bit of pressure by threatening to kill the city, but Hounk kept the dream alive and soon had it closed down such that all he needed was a cccf to outnumber me 2 - 1 and complete the city. There were 3 cccf tiles left in the deck at this point but I drew 2 of them soon after and placed them elsewhere. However, the final one came up much later, and also went to me, meaning that Hounk's efforts for this city went unrewarded.

Elsewhere, we battled for farms with me eventually taking the main farm with 4 farmers against 1 of Hounks. I don't really know why I did this, and my final move of the game actually cost me 2 points (+1 for cloister, -3 for farmers) as I added my fourth farmer onto a farm that I was already winning even though he was worth 3 points by himself. Hounk's farm on the East was serving 3 cities though so he wasn't far behind me on farmer points anyway.

Thanks for the games Hounk and well done on your victory. Two very similar games with similar scorelines; it felt right that we won one each! :)

I believe Chooselife and Rich_The_Fish are scheduled to play their match on Sunday and it looked like khalidq and Halfling played their match this evening as they were both in the chat room at the same time as Hounk and I. But no result yet? The final game is Merlin_89 and What If? - any news on this guys? C:-)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:24:36 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 01:56:42 AM »
I lost 0-2 to Khalidq.  A couple of close and enjoyable games.  I thought I had a chance of pinching the first one but I had to share the main farm and that did for me.  I kept the scores respectable in the second game but never felt I had the upper hand.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 02:19:51 AM »
Game 1 khalidqasrawi  :red-meeple: 105 : 95  :yellow-meeple: Halfing
Game 2 Halfing  :yellow-meeple: 97 : 113  :red-meeple: khalidqasrawi

Game 1
Halfing had early momentum as I played an irritating game, permanently trying to not use early meeples and lots of attemped trapping moves.  I threw away all the cloisters and worked on keeping reserve of meeples for the end game.  The score was always against me (I think, I tend not to watch it very much).  Most of the points that I won were smaller plays.  In the end the scores were close enough.

Game 2
Different strategy for me.  I used all the cloisters and spent most of the match with fewer meeples.  Mostly, I tried to make sure that his meeples were locked if not all trapped or in the case of his farmers, sharing the cities.  I did well on cities too.  He had a lot on the board at the close of play but I had enough of a lead to ensure the win.

Good games.  Thanks for playing Halfing.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
Chooselife and I played our games a short while ago. They were pretty close, both throughout the game and at then at final scoring. Note that Chooselife could easily have had an additional 14 points in the second game, but completed an unoccupied city thinking it already contained a yellow meeple (it was just surrounded by lots). Thanks very much for the enjoyable games and good luck in the remaining rounds.

Game 1:yellow-meeple: Chooselife 115 v :red-meeple: Rich_The_Fish 109
Game 2:red-meeple: Rich_The_Fish 101 v :yellow-meeple: Chooselife 75

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »
Great stuff everyone! A couple of days left before Round 10 and just one match left to go. Merlin and What If? - any news on this? Please don't let it slip you by... :(

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »
Don't you worry Dan... We've already played our game!

Game No1:
107  :red-meeple: WhatIf (Home game) - Merlin_89  :yellow-meeple: 90
Game No2:
74 :yellow-meeple: Merlin_89 (Home game) - WhatIf  :red-meeple: 57

Quite a competitive round for me! Both games I started fast, I went ahead in points, but WhatIf was never far behind, or he always had chances to tie the score.

First game I started aggressively, but my game faltered, when WhatIf seemed to get out of all my traps pretty easily. I had small advantage, I switched to more passive game... WhatIf put his bet on city, and he won it with last tile! I can say nothing but praise about his game here!  :(y)

Second... I put all my guns to use! I went for the blocks from the start and I got them. I was ahead in points, but I knew it didn't guarantee anything, as WhatIf got close to complete moderately big city, I dodged that risk, right tile helped me there. WhatIf troubled my game here and there, he ruined my plans for my big city, but it couldn't stop the obvious... From the get go, we both realised, it could be a farm game, WhatIf put first farmer, but I simply had more meeples in my pockets, and I used it.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
Dan, as I informed you and Rich by PM for this round, but to keep everybody participating on the loop I'll be traveling from Tuesday to Saturday, with a tight schedule until I leave and a couple of days after arrival.
In the interest of the competition I would volunteer to sit the round 10 out.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
Updated Elo ratings available HERE !  We have a new leader, congrats!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »
Hi all.

Here are the final standings at the end of round 9!

It's looking pretty close at the top - especially since two of the top three still need to have their "sitting out" round. Still plenty of time for lots to change though. Look out below! I'm on my way down... :-[

Round 10 is now live
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:43:32 PM by Decar »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 5

Started by danisthirty

21 Replies
Last post March 31, 2017, 04:18:46 AM
by danisthirty
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 7

Started by danisthirty

15 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 02:53:06 AM