Author Topic: Many ways to use a cxxx tile  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • Why you have to be mad?
    • View Profile
Many ways to use a cxxx tile
« on: December 10, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
Having said all that, I say good riddance to the 2-point rule. Its elimination was a good thing, as was the change in farm scoring. There are other reasons not to spend your turn on a 4-point city, and if it does happen on occasion it's certainly not the end of the world.

Not to go offtopic, but why is better to use your meeple elsewhere even if not scoring any points yet? I'm genuinely interested in knowing why is better.

For me, and I'm a beginner, it seems better to score these 4 points on and on in the early game to acquire a lead.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3687.0

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Re: Many ways to use a cxxx tile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 04:14:47 PM »
why is better to use your meeple elsewhere even if not scoring any points yet? I'm genuinely interested in knowing why is better.

For me, and I'm a beginner, it seems better to score these 4 points on and on in the early game to acquire a lead.

It depends upon the situation, of course, but the first question is whether there was a better place to position the tile, and if the answer is no then the second question is whether there is something better to do with your "move wood" action. There are lots of expansion sets where you can perform some other action in lieu of placing a figure (and I do this a lot in my own fan-expansions), so that influences my general play style and understanding of the game theory to some extent. If you're just playing vanilla Carcassonne, then your other options are limited and you probably will find more times where 4 points for a tiny city is indeed your best option.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »
Really well thorough explanation, thanks!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
Of course it's not about scoring points on every turn, but rather scoring as many points as possible before the end of the game. To use an extreme example, if you scored nothing throughout the game but then scored 250 all of the end that would be pretty darn good. So sometimes you just have to play the long game and build for the future rather than grab a small amount now. It can be better to just place a tile and not score any points at all if that tile placement is setting you up for a bigger deal later.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 12:28:21 AM »
You might also have chosen to claim a farm or the road on the tile that might have got you a 4-point city if it generates more points. On some occasions you might even complete an opponent's 4-point city on your turn if any other features on the tile score you more points, or give you some other strategic advantage like providing a way onto a big farm.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
Or perhaps tile is put to better use trapping an opponents meeple and denying them a lot more points.

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 12:59:48 AM »
And I thought I knew a lot about the game... So much to learn!

And thanks farin for this awesome program. I'm using it a little bit to test it, but (and that's absolutely personal) I really prefer the warmth of a IRL game of Carcassone.

Awesome work anyway!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »
On some occasions you might even complete an opponent's 4-point city on your turn if any other features on the tile score you more points, or give you some other strategic advantage like providing a way onto a big farm.

Other strategic advantages of completing the opponent's city can be due to the mechanics of the Count and the City of Carcassonne. Maybe you want to send a follower to that city, or prevent the opponent from doing so, or be the one to move the Count in order to enable or disrupt a pending "big drop" that looks like it's coming.

You might also complete the opponent's little hamlet to purposely limit her to 4 points when she was hoping to build something bigger. In cases like this, I feel like 4 points is actually better for the game because it can give that decision a little more weight.

Offline theaeblackthorn

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I like things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:55:13 AM »
Also for me the most basic is if you're playing Traders & Builders and with that tile you can finish a city before someone else and steal all of the resources!!!

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »
Will buy this expansion next month. Seems like a lot of fun.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
For me, T&B is an essential expansion...we use is in most of our games. It helps to speed up games with other expansions as well.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
How many ways can you combine the official expansions

Started by tothederby

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2020, 01:57:18 AM
by Decar
question
how many players who download the fan made tiles actually print and use them?

Started by Gerry

21 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 06:16:55 PM
by Scott
xx
how many mazes would be fun to use in a regular game of 1.5-2.5 hours

Started by avantar

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 11:34:35 AM
by Valheru
xx
combining all starting ways?