Author Topic: World Record Attempt 2016  (Read 86424 times)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: World Record Attempt 2016
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 04:26:33 PM »
Merit for you Paul for finally achieving this goal you have had for some time. Make sure you do a timelapse or some other cool way of chronicling the event so we can all enjoy it too :)
+1 that would be great.
Good luck with it all - I hope that it doesn't put you off Carc afterwards!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »
This week hasn't been much newsworthy report, mostly sorting tiles to prepare for a mini-game test. We're trying out various game styles to find a good fast paced game progression to manage the 3 day availability we have to complete the game.

Our first test run will be posted next week with results and images.

This game style will concist of pre-sorted and then shuffled base game sets with the starter tile always on top of the pile. Opponents (contestants during the convention) will get one of these and I will get my own randomly shuffled pile which can not only the base game but also expansion tiles.
  The idea is for the contestant to score as much as possible while I am trying to disrupt and ruin his chances. :) Or, I will try to score as well. This will be decided during the day we will have the test game itself.

Each day we will summarize those with the most score and award them a prize.

The thought for this idea is to keep the rules as simple as possible for those that want to participate but don't know the rules.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 05:23:50 PM »
Congrats, Paul!

I'm really looking forward to more information about your word record attempt. The game as you are planing it sounds quite fun!
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 05:32:00 AM »
No Farmers then Paul? :p

Is each player getting 72-base games tiles in a bag?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 06:08:32 AM »
No Farmers then Paul? :p

Is each player getting 72-base games tiles in a bag?

I never thought of having a bag but this is really an interesting idea! One would get a bag and a starter tile aside to place anywhere and go from there.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 06:12:19 AM »
with a large number of players I suspect you want a large starting area too.  You could probably build a small landscape - Perhaps that reads Goth-Con?

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 06:26:44 AM »
Or do you start small (with 6 - or 8 - players) and as the landscape spreads - introduce second/third/fourth/... teams (of six - or eight)?
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 06:40:33 AM »
This game style will concist of pre-sorted and then shuffled base game sets with the starter tile always on top of the pile. Opponents (contestants during the convention) will get one of these and I will get my own randomly shuffled pile which can not only the base game but also expansion tiles.
  The idea is for the contestant to score as much as possible while I am trying to disrupt and ruin his chances. :) Or, I will try to score as well. This will be decided during the day we will have the test game itself.

This all sounds very exciting. Considering it’s an official Carcassonne world record attempt though, are there any rules you need to adhere to in order to ensure that it’s officially recognised? C:-) Not suggesting that this is what you’re doing, but if you dive into your own rules too deeply then it could be argued that it isn’t actually a game of Carcassonne, you’re just playing a game that uses Carcassonne tiles (albeit quite a lot of them)...

Also, since this seems like a great opportunity to generate a little bit of publicity for Carcassonne Central, would you like some of our business cards to either hand out to interested parties or perhaps leave in shot of any photo opportunities? If somebody happens to find one of yours photos lying around on the internet somewhere and wants to find out more about it, knowing that you are affiliated with Carcassonne Central by the presence of a little business card might be a great way of helping them to connect with the wider community.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 07:22:38 AM »
with a large number of players I suspect you want a large starting area too.  You could probably build a small landscape - Perhaps that reads Goth-Con?

Due to time restraints, we won't be focusing on "art". It will start with a massive river that I will lay out randomish to give it a good spread and give contestants a decent start.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 07:30:16 AM »
The game would follow as much as the original rules as possible with a few exceptions:

• There will (most likely) be no farmers.

• The game will be continuous having me and other two arrangers as one color and contestants another color.

• When there are no contestants, we arrangers ourself will play out tiles using contestant bags and score.

• To give a fair chance, each bag will have the same set of 71 tiles + 1 starter tile aside while the arrangers have  mixed bag of expansions and base game tiles.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 07:39:38 AM »
Hope you're using Authentic Carcassonne Bags.   C:-) C:-)
You can also get the secondary record for most number of Carcassonne Bags too  :(y) :(y)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 08:16:56 AM »
Hope you're using Authentic Carcassonne Bags.   C:-) C:-)
You can also get the secondary record for most number of Carcassonne Bags too  :(y) :(y)

:D

I got a few. 5 or 6 at least, that I am sure of. I'd have stacks in boxes and throw in one when needed, so I wouldn't need that many bags, even though it would have looked cool having a heap for display!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
Today we had a meeting planning the event and finally had a few test runs. A lot of things has been changed, almost everything planned in fact!

Later tonight or tomorrow there will be photos and review session report for the games and what we've come up with so far. Rest assure, we have a lot of kinks to work out still. x_x

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 02:05:49 PM »
Today we had a meeting planning the event and finally had a few test runs. A lot of things has been changed, almost everything planned in fact!

Later tonight or tomorrow there will be photos and review session report for the games and what we've come up with so far. Rest assure, we have a lot of kinks to work out still. x_x

+1 for you for this great feat!
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:55 AM »
And so, finally, an update! What was expected to be posted on Monday got dragged a bit, so sorry about that.

Last Saturday, Feb 6, we, the arrangers, had a meeting to organize the world record attempt. We asked ourselves questions, made plans day by day, talked about priorities etc.

Our main objective is, by the end of the convention, to have laid out all the tiles. This was something we agreed upon immediately.

I had hoped to play with as many expansions as possible that don't require a lot of rules, nor confict with one another in terms of us looking up the rules constantly. The other two arrangers, my sister and a friend are not well versed in the rules so it was a relief for them. I did have to convince them that we will be using The Tower and The Princess and the Dragon.

Unfortunately, I do not have 10k tiles if I am not using almost every tile that I have, which we will make a little compromise:
  We will be using all the tiles from all expansions, but only pick out a few rules from a few expansions to play with. You'll find out later below why!

Our first draft, what seems plausible to succeed with in playing this game without major interruptions, have these expansion rules added:
•Inns and Cathedrals - The Lake and Cathedral only, no extra followers are to be used
•The Princess and The Dragon - Full content
•The Tower - Full content
•Traders and Builders - Full content
•The Flyers - Full content

The River(s)
This is still not set how we are to proceed with yet. To have one 200+ tiles long river or smaller rivers.
  The idea for several rivers will be having them pre stacked with only the starter river thrown into the draw bag. When one of these are drawn, the game halts to play out a river set. It must be placed on the outskirt of the main board and follow outwards (flow of river) but else played out as normal, with us taking turns etc.

Some other info:
•Yes, we will be using a draw bag of some sort! Official one, I doubt it, duh... :)
•We will not be playing with the farmer rules due to time restraint
•We will not be using any extra wooden figures such as the barn, builder, mayor etc, again due to the time restraint we have.

A test game using expansion rules we've planned to use (except The Flyers):

Playing this game we tried a nice method of keeping score. By not calculating the score on the spot, rather at the end of each day, saves a lot of time. We might end up updating the score on several occations during a single day as well.
  Each time someone scores, they add the number followed by type in a squared box on a sheet of paper which us arrangers (players) each carry one of.

Example: Scoring 12 points for a city we would write 12s (12 stad, which means 12 city in Swedish). v = road (väg) and k = cloister (kloster).

Final score and some stats:
Yellow (me): 307 points from
•12 completed cities (largest 45 points) and 1 unfinished
•6 completed roads (largest were 2x 12 points each)
•4 completed cloisters and 1  unfinished with 8 points
•2 farm field of 3 points and 27 points
•20 points (total) from cloth and barrels

Black(my sister): 181 points
Blue(friend): 196 points

As shown for Yellow, you can easily track how many of each type and even how many (not shown in this example) 4 points cities were made etc. This will give some great statistics by the end of the convention!
  Total time played was 1 hour 47 minutes which resulted in almost 90 hours of game time were we to play in this speed with 10k tiles. Bear in mind we did take it a bit slow and were chatting often during the game.
  More on this in the next update, where we you'll find out how we plan to play and make due with the time we have.

Next update will feature what else we've planned, like the calendar agenda, filming, and setup!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:27:41 AM by Paul »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?

Started by Halfling

29 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 01:30:05 PM
by Decar
xx
A Journey Into the World Record of a Game of Carcassonne

Started by Paul

20 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 12:57:40 PM